How much Rice do you use?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are alot of videos on youtube about thermos cooking. I'm just getting started stealth camping and havent tried very many of them but I make my oatmeal before leaving work and when I wake up its done and still hot when I open the thermos ( I work nights)... Basically anything that can be made in a crock pot can be cooked in a thermos, just be sure to prime it first... I recycle the primed water to make my last hot cup of coffee for the day...

StarEcho said:
I've switched from rice to quinoa.  Cooks the same and is very healthy.  Actually has protein, but seems like a rice dish.
Hi Cindy, I must admit that I have never heard of quinoa before now, (where have I been?) so had to google it.
 I must say, it sounds pretty good. :) 
Quinoa

Thirsty Boots Nomad said:
I have a fairly strong connection to the "prepper" movement; so I usually purchase rice in 50# bags.  

Really? I will have to start paying attention to your posts then. ;) 
PS, prepper tip for rice, buy a 5 gallon water bottle with a screw on/off cap, fill almost to the neck with rice, drop a small chunk of dry ice in and seal. This will kill any of those tiny critters that you can't see, making the bottle of rice suitable for long term storage in a closet, etc.

FALCON said:
The lentils cook quickly (~15 minutes?) after soaking them in water for 8 hours.

So, technically, they take 8:15 to cook. ;)

Actually, I like lentils.

Latest posts