How much headroom do YOU need?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lana_starr

Reaction score
Thinking about how small a vehicle I can use with the specific design I have in mind. How much headroom do you (yes, you, reading this now) need to be comfortable sitting upright relative to how tall you are? I tried to look for a car industry standard but had no luck. 

Especially anyone on the taller side. I have a ~special friend~ who is over the 6' mark and I would like them to be comfortable visiting.  :angel:

So, how much headroom do you (or your friends, or YOUR ~special friends~) need to sit upright comfortably?

You can sit upright comfortably in just about any vehicle, because that's the way they're used -- driver and passengers sitting down. Most vandwellers are concerned about standing.

I'm a weirdo. I'm six feet tall and perfectly happy in a standard height Chevy Express. I don't need to stand. I'm usually either sitting or lying down. If I really need to stand, I go outside. And I entertain outside. (I haven't had the opportunity to do the horizontal type of "entertaining.")

This question actually came up in my build, as I have an elevated bed platform and was concerned about sitting up in bed.

I am 6', sit on chairs/stools at about 18" from the ground and require 35" inches from a firm seated surface in order not to bump my head. I like having 6" beyond that (41").
If I were in a regular low-roofed van I would want 59", or about 5'.

Longer-torsoed humans will require more seat-to-roof space, and long-legged speciimens somewhat less.

Edited to add: my friends are more imaginary than special. :-\

frater secessus said:
Longer-torsoed humans will require more seat-to-roof space, and long-legged speciimens somewhat less.

I'm one of those long torsoed people. I joke that I'm taller sitting down.

Im 5'2". I started doing this for a few weeks in a Toyota Camry. I used an inflatable car mattress but i had back surgery so found it wasn't enough room. If you have a previous injury, you may need more room like me. I got a Ford high top van with 6 feet standing roome and its 10 feet long in the back. Thats what i needed. Try staying in your current vehicle for a few days to see if its enough. I think a station wagon, van or suv would be best for those who are tall and/or need stretching room.

I have a standard chevy express. I put my bed/couch right on top of the wheel well. With the plywood insulation and 5" foam pad it adds up to about 6" above the wheel well. I'm 5'8" and i can sit straight up and have about a fist between my head and the ceiling thats with 1" insulation between the ribs and 3/4" furring strips on top of the ribs.

: ) YMMV

Your OP ~special friend~ consideration is the key. While my ~special friend~ happens to be my 5'2" wife/spirit-mate and me @5'8" we have more than enough room in our two vans (v#1 is up for sale). When we began this van-venture we knew we wanted full standing room just cuz it made sense.

IF (and i know this is beyond your OP) i was designing for myself and living alone i'd design the floorplan so everything could be done from a rolling stool or similar design and not worry about standing and just get a standard height van. Yea, i'm a van guy. Will most likely never buy anything but a van from this point on.

All that said; 42" or so from top of seat/bed should do for most

I need about 4 inches more than I've got. With my bed set up in the back of the car, I can't sit up without my head hitting the ceiling. If I were to remove the back seat and put in a permanent bed, I'd have the extra room.

Well, having chosen to sleep in a recliner, it's obviously got to fit the van (Which it does) and there's probably still 5" above me. I have debated on a taller roof...But frankly I am not seeing the need....

My first Van had the regular roof and I learned to move around in it bent over. (and sill banging my head on the roof often).   I adjusted to moving around on my knees which was OK if I didn't have to do too much of that.

The Van I have now is my first high top and I can stand up in it with a couple or three inches of headroom.  For me that's major.  The comfort is day and night.  I'm nearly 6' in height.   I'm thinking of placing a piece of ply wood above my bed which would allow about 3' of headroom if I sit up in bed which would probably be enough.
This is for a storage shelf above the bed.  

When you are in your 20's moving around bent over all the time isn't so bad although after a while it becomes
a pain.  But give it a few years and it's more of a pain than "not so bad".

No exact answer but standing was a must have for me (bad back) so that set the rules. 99.9% sure if you can stand it'll take care of headroom issues.