How Moby Rolls - '96 Express Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanFan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought Moby, a '96 Chevy Express 1500 low-top van by "Regency" in 2007.  My husband and I travel and camp in it whenever we can.  Moby has had some repairs and TLC, as well as help from duct tape, mending plates, dental floss and JB Weld, but is still in good shape and serves us well.  We've tried different set-ups, but all have been easy, relatively cheap and flexible.  I'd like to share some details here, where I've learned so much over the years.

More later.

Some stuff just had to go!  1) TV with VCR on floor between front seats (even though it was connected to speakers and a game console.  LOL).  2) Electric 3-part rear bench seat that unfolded into a bed (cool, but awful!)  3) Middle row captains seats (saved; skins used to recover front seats eventually).

Privacy

Cab:  Jumbo accordian type shade on windshield.  (Stored behind the driver's seat in the side window valance).  Side windows covered with pair of windshield shades that fold into circles.  (Stored in passenger seat back pocket.)

Behind front seats:   Floor length black thermal backed curtains on a gray PVC rod.  Rod was zip tied to wood trim spanning van's width by loosening screws, then retightening.  Extra length was folded upward and divided into handy pockets with stitching.  Lined these with fabric to match interior 'cause I like it.  Velcro ties hold curtains open.  Closed, the curtains make Moby into a two-room van!

Side doors:  Long thermal curtains with black to inside hung on 48" gray bungee cords with plastic hooks.  Front cord is hooked to visor frame and to hardware above door opening.  Cord is tucked into crevice above passenger window.  Back cord is hooked to hardware above door opening, then to old middle row seat belt hardware.

When it gets really hot and curtains are held open with ties, the white thermal lining can stick to itself and peel off when curtains are reopened.  I used to powder them, but have since lined them with interior matching fabric... 'cause I like it, even from the outside.

Back doors:  Short thermal curtains, black to outside hung on a small metal curtain rod run through hardware above center of door opening and rigged in a goofy way involving plastic hooks stuffed into a crack somehow at the ends.  Well?!

Large side windows (3):  Came with pleated shades, which are nice, but I don't dare raise and lower them anymore.  I restrung one that broke, and don't want a repeat.  They are all raised just above the part that slides open.  Reflectix cut full window size is held in place by the shades.  It really cuts the heat load!  I push it from either side for outside views from bed.

'nough said?  Thought so!

To sleep perchance to...

Our set-up is all about the bed.  We've tried several foam-based variations on the floor, but recently switched to a full-size metal frame.  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Modern-Sleep-...s/40120201  On top is our tri-fold mattress with an extra 1" of "comfort foam" in the cover, topped with (I kid you not) two 1-1/2" convoluted foam toppers, a thick Hospitology mattress pad https://www.amazon.com/HOSPITOLOGY-PRODUCTS-Alternative-Overstuffed-Hypoallergenic/dp/B00EFBCZZ8, and a comforter!  Super comfy, but you may find a more direct path to your own ultimate bed (LOL)!  We also have a LOT of pillows.  Both of us sleep all night, every night, which is not true in our S&B or motels. 

The frame came in two length-wise sections, which we did not bolt together.  That made it easy to put in the van and allows the two sides of the adjustable head to be moved somewhat independently.  Bonus #1:  Raising the head gives you access through the slats to the floor where smaller, flatter stuff can go.  (You'll need to be limber and/or have long arms though!)  Bonus #2:  Raising the head gives us a place for our clothing duffle bag and backpack on top of the slats, below the head frame and mattress.

This bed takes a lot of space, but we think it's worth it!  More later on storage.

Safety (Inspired by Matlock's "In Case of FIRE" thread)

On board:

Visibility vest (driver's seat pocket)
Reflective hazard triangles, heavy duty (inside rear door)
Trouble light, LED (glove compartment)
Wheel chock (Moby laughs at this) (inside rear door)
Weather radio (driver's door pocket)
Tarp
Wool blanket

Fire extinguishers (head of bed at rear door; foot of bed at side doors)
Smoke detector (on wood trim near ceiling behind driver's seat)
Carbon monoxide detector (on trim mid-ship, passenger's side)
   Existing trim screws used to mount these.  Blinking lights bugged me a bit the first night.
Red bucket for outside (rear door; gallon sprayer nests inside)

First aid:  1) "quick grab" (in red nylon bag in passenger seat back organizer pocket); 2) basic items, whistle, etc.  and DH's back-up meds in day hike fanny pack; 3) sling, ankle brace, ace bandages (under passenger seat)

Wasp spray (pest deterrent) (drape floor pocket near side door)
Sunscreen (drape floor pocket)
Broad brimmed hats

Practices:

No open flame inside.
Low and slow outdoor fires only when wind is minimal.  Dead out when retiring.
Survey area for hazards.
Avoid driving during most active times for wildlife activity.
Know where we are (County, etc.).
Stay alert to changing weather conditions.
Carry ID and emergency contact information.

Rear (cough) Galley

There is no kitchen in Moby.  We do all cooking outside, but can reach everything to eat a cold meal from inside if desired.

Food prep stuff is all in the back, behind the head of the bed.  There is no room to spare, but everything fits snugly below window level and doesn't move around while traveling.

From left to right:
1.  Plastic 3-drawer cart with dishes, utensils, pots and pans (except large skillet).
2.  Two medium gray Sterlite tote boxes from Walmart, stacked.  The bottom box has auto stuff.  (Moby is old, and may need a little something to help him limp to the next town.)  The top box has food, and a large skillet.  There's a bungee cord around this box holding two trigger spray bottles, one with water and the other water/white vinegar.
3.  Lastly, the cooler sits on a plywood platform with metal shelf brackets for legs.  That's the most "building" I've done!  Plastic tubing runs from the side drain out of the van through the space between the door seal and bumper.  It is barely visible, but keeps the contents dry--a major game changer for us!
    Under the shelf is an older Primus two burner propane stove.  On top of that is a large plastic bowl with pour lip and snap on lid.  Dishwashing supplies are inside.  An extension cord lives under there, too, as well as some decidedly non-foodish stuff.  Paper towels are over the cooler on a bungee hooked on a shower curtain rod I've just never taken down.
     Oh.  The propane.  Barely room.  Four bottles are in two semi-hard shell six pack coolers, stacked on top of each other in the small space left between the cooler and back doors.  I think a 5 lb. bottle would fit there, but I don't have one.  Also in this space is a 1 gallon pump up sprayer in a bucket, an electric hot pot, and laundry soap.  If we park on a nose-up incline, one or more of these things could fall out when the doors are opened.  So far, no bruised toes!
     A mesh tote bag is handy to minimize trips between the table and van.  It makes a good drip bag for wet dishes or place to put semi-dirty ones temporarily.  The cart, boxes an cooler are pretty much at the same level, and have been used as a "counter" lacking a better option.

Hygiene

Again, most of the time we use facilities outside of the van, given that option.

Inside, we have an assortment of wipes, wash cloths, and an insulated carafe for hot water.  Our latest addition is a home made sink, which has been super nice to have.  It just fits between the foot of the bed and the driver's seat in "tall guy" position.  Water is supplied from a 5-6 gal. carboy with a battery-operated pump dispenser, which allows hands free flow for about $3 more than the manual one.

Yes, we carry a pee bottle in the form of a laundry detergent jug with the spout cut out.  I have a Go Girl device to use with the jug in a pinch.  It is less than perfect.

Also on board is a Cleanwaste portable toilet https://www.rei.com/product/662980/cleanwaste-go-anywhere-portable-toilet-seat.  It was expensive, but will last and fits handily in the space between the bed and wall in front of the wheel well.   It fits between the front seats and makes a decent platform for a fan, heater, etc.  If needed for the "real thing," pulling the cab curtains provides a private space.  It has served as coffee table outdoors.  Negative:  I have to use pliers to open the legs or risk pinched fingers.

Speaking of privacy, our pop-up shower shelter is now under the mattress at the foot of the bed.  We haven't used it for a long time now, but I can't feel it under the bed, and it's there if we want it.

Climate Control Management

That's a tuffy.  We've slept out often enough in Texas in August, and it wasn't too bad somehow.  Other times we've had to settle for a night or two in a motel on our way to cooler climates.

We pay attention to the weather.  This has kept us out of some deep sh water, among other perils, while allowing us to witness spectacular forces of nature from safer vantage points.  I digress...  (Really?  No!)

Cooling (in order of effectiveness):  Altitude.  Inside shade (curtains; windshield shade; reflectix).  Outside shade (ah..., nice).  Breezes across bodies of water.  Fans.  One 10-inch that runs on D cells or 110 from Walmart is handy to grab from the space between the bed frame and driver's side van wall.  Two small O2Cool fans that run on D cells (which are are heavy, expensive and environmentally unsound) often sit on the window sills.  Cross-ventilation is key, so windows with screens are appreciated.  We've set the 10"er in a front window with a makeshift cardboard insert and rear sliders open to circulate and suck air out.  Looks tacky; works great.  A ceiling vent with fan would be better, but this van will never have one.

It can take a long time for a hot vehicle to cool.  After sun down, it may make sense to run the vehicle A/C just long enough to cool things off.

Shade:  An 8x10 tarp with grommets, two adjustable tent poles, guy lines and stakes are on hand for an awning that can be secured to the rain gutter with spring clamps.  The set-up has never been used.  The tarp does get used, and is a necessity IMO.  The rest takes up little room, so stays.

Heating:  Let the sunshine in first thing in the morning.  It's amazing how quickly an uninsulated van warms up.  We have a small 110 ceramic heater thrifted eons ago.  It stays cool to the touch, and when shore power is an option, works well.  I also have an Olympic Wave 3 stored under the bed in a Sterlite box.  Screws on the optional legs have been loosened so they can be rotated to make storage less awkward.  Ours is equipped with fittings for use with 1 lb. propane bottles.  I hope to never use it!  There really is not enough clearance to make me comfortable, and the idea of using propane inside bothers me a lot.