Moby's Bed Saga

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanFan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
<font size="4">Moby is a flat top, regular length van converted by Regency.&nbsp; He followed me home one day about three and half years ago, and I have been working (and reworking) plans for a bed ever since!<br><br>Lately, it's become nothing less than a full-blown obsession.&nbsp; Frankly, I've been a little depressed about my inability to complete such a seemingly simple project.&nbsp; Ever the optimist (and darn stubborn!), I am sure a reasonably close to perfect solution is at hand.&nbsp; I have gotten some good ideas from some van-tastic people (thanks Les, <u>et</u> <u>al</u>.)<br><br>Last week (or was it two weeks ago?), I was just about ready to construct a modified dual bench dinette style set-up.&nbsp; My husband asked me to stop and consider whether just putting an air mattress on the floor would do the trick.&nbsp; (We've done that before, but reconsider I did.&nbsp; The answer, BTW, is "no," it did not work that well for us.)&nbsp; Reconsidering caused me to reconsider, and reconsidering caused me to consider, and...<br><br>At this point, I think a side gaucho will work best, and I am trying to work through the details.&nbsp; I think I'm <i>most</i> of the way there, although I have some questions.&nbsp; If you have any experience with gaucho style beds (whether you built it or not), I'd love to hear your thoughts!<br><br>More later.&nbsp; Thanks for listening!<br><br>Vickie<br></font><br>

Talk about a complete about face!&nbsp; After tons (and I mean <i>tons</i>) of&nbsp; brainstorming, research, integrating lots of great suggestions, designing, planning, shopping, re-designing...&nbsp; I've decided not to build anything at all.<br><br>Instead, I've removed the last of the middle seats, and am using my collection of 4" thick HD foam cushions on the floor for the bed.&nbsp; In our case, it has turned out that width is not as important as length and space over head.&nbsp; The total sleeping area is 44" wide, by 80" long, and currently is 4" thick.&nbsp; I plan to upgrade to a total of 8", which is unbelievably comfy!&nbsp; <br> <br>The bed runs along the length of the van from the pillar behind the driver's seat toward the rear.&nbsp; The "core" sections are 58" long, so they end at the front of the wheel well.&nbsp; A 44" deep, 22" wide segment is added to the end for the 80" length.&nbsp; The cushions can be arranged various ways, which I enjoyed before.&nbsp; When stacked up, the width is 22".<br><br>It is doubtful that I will add any built-ins at all now.&nbsp; Instead, my efforts will focus on paring down and efficiently storing what we take on our trips in every nook and cranny.&nbsp; I do not enjoy shuffling things around, and we do like our comforts, so the challenge is on!<br><br>The remaining rear of the van is now dedicated to storage, and I am working on how to make that area as safe and functional as possible.&nbsp; I have upper shoulder belt retainers near the ceiling, belt attachment points on the wheel wells, and former rear bench hold down brackets all in a vertical line at the point where the bed ends and storage begins.&nbsp; There are also a couple of bolt holes in the middle of the floor to the rear of that point I could use in some way.<br><br>I've toyed with the idea of a 3/4" plywood barrier up to rear window height, but would like better access.&nbsp; A cargo net attached with D-rings might work.&nbsp; Old fashioned luggage straps might be an option if I run a bar across the floor from seat bracket to seat bracket to run them under.&nbsp; <br><br>Again, thanks for listening.&nbsp; Suggestions are much appreciated.&nbsp; More later.<br><br>Vickie<br><br>