Help Rusty 96 Chevy Express Mark 3 Conversion Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adventuredude

Reaction score
I have this 96 Mark 3 Chevy conversion van . The first issue is making it more presentable /stealthy, the typically fiberglass, running boards were removed before I bought it very cheaply with only 110000 miles. I need something to cover up the bottom where the metal is rusting /flaking , disappearing, the frame has extensive rust as well so I'm just looking to get 2 or 3 years,out of the van. What can I cover the rocker rusted area with , I'm thinking like a diamond plate metal or the plastic that's on the astro vans and how will I attach it ?

Can't picture what you're talking about, however if its holes or some such and you're only looking for 2-3 years look into "vehicle rust spray foam" on a google search. A YouTube video will let you know if that's a fix that would work for you. Best of luck.

Wabbit said:
Can't picture what you're talking about, however if its holes or some such and you're only looking for 2-3 years look into "vehicle rust spray foam" on a google search. A YouTube video will let you know if that's a fix that would work for you. Best of luck.

Many older Chevy express vans have this issue, it is all along the bottom, I need something to put over it, already sprayed with rustoleum. Just need something about 6 inches wide and curved or bent at the bottom to attach all along the bottom of the van to hide the decaying metal. They have patch panel rockers but I`m just looking for a cheap easy cover it solution.

Try to get rid of all the existing rust FIRST ! All you did with covering it with paint is accelerated it. wire brush, side grinder, channel locks or vice grips t get all the loose flaky stuff and then a good pressure wash to get rid of the loose mud and metal/rust etc and open up drain channels. Take it for a good drive to dry all that stuff out, then, put tar or pitch in the holes and rub it in good. That will protect it to a certain extent if you are looking for a cheap easy fix. Go to the dump and get the metal wrap off of all the hot water heaters you can find. Cut/shape these to rivet into 'hiding position' with a good tar/pitch coating on the back side of it. After it suits your eye, THEN spray it with rustoleum neatly. Use a straight piece of cardboard and tape to make straight lines and keep it looking good. Fixed a lot of rust bucket vehicles, floorboards, fenders with this way. The FRAME is an entirely different matter. You need to ensure the load bearing structure of this is sound. Get rid of the rust down to the bare metal and weld in/replace,you can find bed frames to weld in to strengthen channels or same thickness plates to cover holes, extending the new metal well into sound structure, as needed, keeping it aligned properly. Shouldn't use a bubble gum approach with frames, it's not only your life but others you are potentially risking. You would be surprised how easy this is if you know what you are doing. After it's structurally sound, coat it with tar/pitch. It's cheap and easy to effectively put on and it will last.

If it is just body sheet metal, metal that is just there for looks, I used to have pretty good luck with gel fiberglass. Mix up the gel fiberglass(thicker than regular fiberglass and has glass fibers mixed in it ) after duct taping wax paper to the bottom edge lay the gel fiberglass on the wax paper and conform it to the shape of the panel, smoothing it out by pushing it with the paper. It is hard to sand so get as close as you can while you can still work it. Tape the upper side of the wax paper to the side of the van and as soon as it has set up remove the paper. It shouldn't stick to the paper if you take it off soon enough but if it does you can rough sand it off. If you time it right you should have a smooth surface that with light sanding you can spray paint and will stay there until the metal around it rusts away.