How many watts does small fridge draw on propane?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travelinmyblood

Reaction score
Has anyone figured out how many watts a small fridge uses when it is operating on propane?
I have a Dometic RM 2351, in a class B van.  The specs show 175 watts, but it doesn't tell me if that is what it uses on straight electric.  I'm trying to determine draw on my batteries if I run it on propane.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 11.36.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 11.36.28 AM.png
    55 KB · Views: 19
With all the parasitic loads in my van on together, the draw is 1.2 amps at 12V DC. Carbon monoxide detector, propane leak detector, TV in standby and whatever else is idly consuming electricity including the fridge. The 12V draw while the fridge is on propane will be small as it only has to run the circuit board (and maybe hold the propane valve open). The 175 watts you are referring to is when the fridge is set for 12V operation (which you should do while driving). It is the wattage of the heating element that is taking the place of the small propane flame. Do not leave in the 12V position when camped. Battery voltage will drop and the fridge will cut off. Ask me how I know. Almost lost all my groceries one time.

^
Thank you for the info.  Good to know that your total load is not too bad.  My fridge is only a two way so I can only use it when plugged into AC, or on propane.  I am debating getting an indel b because it uses 20 amps a day, 
41=0/963=7410=8520=8520/963/963*-+
*-+
*-+
633333365652052855=88==7741100...

+

6+6+9-/*-*-*-/*************-+
409 .        /,.,mnbv cxz\
]][[]][P880-----9IO865432QQWQ1QAQ

depends, the older models use no electrical power on propane. the newer models use minimal power to drive the computer board. highdesertranger

^
Thank you! It's a 2005 but the manual indicates that it needs DC power to operate on propane, so there is some draw.  Do you think there is any merit in bringing a portable indel b 51, rather than using the fridge that is in the unit?  The indel B uses 20 amps a day, so the chances of the installed fridge exceeding that (on propane) would be unlikely then?  I suppose not having to be level, might be the only reason.  I remember you helped me on previous questions, so thank you for being so diligent in helping us newbies, I am very grateful for the resource!

An efficient 12VDC compressor fridge / freezer can run under 20AH per 24 hours in ideal conditions, up to 40+ as a freezer in hot weather.

Absorption fridges that have a propane option are crazy thirsty on the electric side, only use that while driving not from solar / batteries. When stationary off-grid, use propane. Must be level.

Your absorption fridge operated on propane would probably only consume 2 AH off 12V battery in a day at most. The compressor fridge would consume a LOT more.

Yes sorry if I wasn't clear, my statement was wrt turning off the propane, as required while traveling.

Some people make the mistake of continuing to do so off the House bank after they've stopped, thinking their solar will keep up.

The thermostat etc controls hardly use any, so in propane mode no worries even off Starter for a few days, if you have no House.

B and C said:
Your absorption fridge operated on propane would probably only consume 2 AH off 12V battery in a day at most.  The compressor fridge would consume a LOT more.

Thank you, that is the number I am looking for.  I only have a two way fridge, so only options are 
  • propane (which still uses some DC to operate - and this DC draw is the number I was trying to figure out)
  • plugged into AC (where nothing matters).  
    The answer is to use the absorption fridge, and run it on propane, except when traveling and then I will just ensure I have ice in the freezer to keep it cold.

John61CT said:
Yes sorry if I wasn't clear, my statement was wrt turning off the propane, as required while traveling.

Some people make the mistake of continuing to do so off the House bank after they've stopped, thinking their solar will keep up.

The thermostat etc controls hardly use any, so in propane mode no worries even off Starter for a few days, if you have no House.

Thanks John, I only have a 2 way fridge, so running solely on DC isn't an option.  Just propane, or plugged into AC.  I appreciate your help :)

Most people just turn them off while traveling and start them when stopped. One of my friends has one in his trailer and this is what he does.

I keep an outdoor thermometer (battery operated) in my fridge and adjust so the temp stays between 33 and 39 degrees. Opening for as short a time as possible and as infrequent as you can helps a lot.

a lot of people run them on propane when driving down the road, not something I would do but a lot do. keep in mind the number one cause for RV fires is the refrigerator. keep that maintenance up. highdesertranger