How many cubic foot fridge/cooler? Three days.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikEXpat

Reaction score
I currently have a 3 cuft (cubic feet) fridge in my 200 sqft apartment and it's perfect for three days of food and drink. How about you? How many cuft (fridge or cooler), realistically, would make you happy on the road for three days? No more. No less.

It's 85 liters which is 89 quarts or 3 cubic feet.

Ours is a 1.1cf chest type fridge and we can pack it for a week in the boonies.
That does not include a carton of milk, as I cook with powdered milk.
It does include 6 beers and 3 sodas, which are replaced as used.

BTW...I would go with the Chevy 3500 over over the 2500 any day ;)

I have a 65 qt Whynter in use as a fridge and by the time I pack it with fresh veggies (salad stuff and some for cooking), a 1/2 gal of juice, qt of milk, 1/2gal of water on chill, various condiments and cheeses, and a dozen eggs, it is FULL.

I also have a matching unit that is set at freezer temperature which is packed with meat, frozen veggies and bread type items. As a single person I found that shopping for meat was the worst situation without the freezer as I was forced to either shop at the butcher counter for one of each or buy a counter package and eat, say, chicken forseveral nights in a row. Having the freezer means that I can buy a family pack, usually at a discount, and have my choice of meats. I single pack meat as I buy it and then freeze it.

I generally shop once a week because I need fresh produce.

Almost There said:
I have a 65 qt Whynter in use as a fridge and by the time I pack it with fresh veggies (salad stuff and some for cooking), a 1/2 gal of juice, qt of milk, 1/2gal of water on chill, various condiments and cheeses, and a dozen eggs, it is FULL.

I also have a matching unit that is set at freezer temperature which is packed with meat, frozen veggies and bread type items. As a single person I found that shopping for meat was the worst situation without the freezer as I was forced to either shop at the butcher counter for one of each or buy a counter package and eat, say, chicken forseveral nights in a row. Having the freezer means that I can buy a family pack, usually at a discount, and have my choice of meats. I single pack meat as I buy it and then freeze it.

I generally shop once a week because I need fresh produce.

That's ~50% more than I have now. All of that lasts you for three days?

WheelEstate USA said:
Ours is a 1.1cf chest type fridge and we can pack it for a week in the boonies.
That does not include a carton of milk, as I cook with powdered milk.
It does include 6 beers and 3 sodas, which are replaced as used.

BTW...I would go with the Chevy 3500 over over the 2500 any day ;)

You know. I have a freezer. I'm thinking maybe a freezer isn't really necessary if I'm going to be living three days out at a time.

Powdered milk. Hmm. Doesn't seem natural but I can't find conclusive evidence to demerit it.

at the moment I use two 40qt, 12v refers. one for food the other for drinks. I can go 2 weeks no problem this way. I plan on adding a third one to use as a freezer which should extent me out to a month plus without resupply. I do not keep eggs, mustard, ketchup, etc in the refer. highdesertranger

mikEXpat said:
That's ~50% more than I have now. All of that lasts you for three days?

No, of course not. I shop weekly for fresh produce since lettuce/tomatoes/fruit doesn't keep longer than that. I buy my meat when it's on sale as much as possible so I have variety on hand, hence the freezer unit.

On the other hand, one has to plan for right after a shopping trip not just for 'three days' worth of food AND leave room for condiments/staples that one always has on hand.

Unless you're planning on staying in and about larger urban centers, I found that it's very costly on gas and time to shop every 3 days. In the summer I am a 45 minute drive from decent shopping. Needless to say I don't make a 90 minute round trip for one or two items. By 'good' I mean more than the ubber expensive small corner grocery store or convenience store types. In the winter, the proximity of good shopping varies widely from a 10 minute drive to an hour.

For a three day camping roadtrip, I don't use a fridge at all. No need. I do now have a Dometic CF18, small but fine for some mayo, jam and lunchmeat.

I think Almost there and High Desert have it figured out using two units. High Desert talking about going to three units is really speaking my language!

Every Road Leads Home said:
I think Almost there and High Desert have it figured out using two units.  High Desert talking about going to three units is really speaking my language!

Yeah BUT, have you seen the size of the rig and all the stuff he hauls around with him. It's not for the faint of heart, nor the pack up and go crowd.... :D :D :rolleyes:

I have a 2.1 cu ft (~ 50 qt) refrigerator with a tiny freezer on top.  With careful repackaging and packing I can carry 10+ days of food.
How many days you can carry will depend a lot on your diet  but 3 days should be easily doable in a small refrigerator or cooler.
Refrigerators and coolers work better packed to the gills, so getting too big is actually less efficient.

-- Spiff

I will not get a third one until I get a cargo trailer/toy hauler. highdesertranger

Spaceman Spiff said:
I have a 2.1 cu ft (~ 50 qt) refrigerator with a tiny freezer on top.  With careful repackaging and packing I can carry 10+ days of food.
How many days you can carry will depend a lot on your diet  but 3 days should be easily doable in a small refrigerator or cooler.
Refrigerators and coolers work better packed to the gills, so getting too big is actually less efficient.

-- Spiff

You make a good point. I'm learning now how to get my body to let me know it's hungry just before a meal. Usually I would just have lunch at 12 whether I am hungry or not. Now I'm eating less at breakfast so by 12 I'm feeling hungry. It's amazing how little I can eat and feel hungry by lunchtime. 

Repacking is key but there does need to be enough space for air to circulate in the fridge, right? I notice on my fridge if I have anything touching the back wall it will freeze.

Currently have 2 one built in and one smaller chest I use the smaller 12 volt as a freezer, vodka chiller and what little meat I get. the rest goes into the builtin. I do not drink milk Cept in the coffee so I will get a plastic quart of 1/2 and 1/2 it lasts longer than milk, canned food goes into the yeti and veggies are eaten/cooked asap and not in the fridge. taters onions and garlic go in a non plastic bag or tupperware. Hey HDR i will be bringing some burlap bags, Mark was a big help just to get my ass moving on the vent and panel it's all up tough working on the roof in the Sacramento heat.

hey wagoneer it was great hearing from you and Mark. glad you got it done. see you at RTR. highdesertranger

Latest posts