How long did it take you to get used to this lifestyle?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobcat

Reaction score
I'm planning on buying a conversion van sometime this spring (probably around March). I was wondering, how long it took you guys to adapt to living in an rv or van?

I've never used this before so sorry if i made some mistakes

About a month. It was surprisingly natural for me even though I had no previous experience with this sort of thing.

id say a couple months, the boredom is the worst aspect but i have constraints with work and finances ...limiting the amt of stuff i can do to entertain myself. less of a problem in warm weather, can get out more.

i guess i have some slight experience. I used to stay in my car for several hours at a time just to get a feel for it and i honestly enjoyed the time i spent in there. I know that's nothing like actually living in a vehicle full time but regardless, i'm gonna dive right in. Almost there

Several months. We went from working fulltime jobs and managing rental properties to almost 24 hours of free time. That took awhile to get used to. Waking up and not having to go anywhere felt strange. Waking up in a RV parked wherever we wanted to be felt great . That part wasn't hard to get used to at all.

I was comfortable in my van almost instantly, as soon as I moved in 9 months ago. That said, I'm still working out little kinks in my setup and my routines. And once in awhile, I might have trouble sleeping, if I'm not sure that I picked the right spot to bed down for the night. Though so far, it always works out fine.

What a great question. I am not in my own place yet, so I've also wondered the same thing.

I like camping and have zero problem being in a tent. In fact it is fun. I know a guy that has a pop up camper and despises sleeping in the area above the cab. He says it's like sleeping in a coffin. He puts up with it, though, because he likes camping a lot.

My last apartment was smaller than the one I have now which is about 170 square feet larger. It's a waste of space. I use less than a quarter of the cupboard space. The bed is a queen which is ridiculously large. I feel like I spend half my morning walking back and forth across the vast expanse of my apartment while I'm getting ready for work. Lol. Ok, it's not that big, but most of it truly is just space I need to traverse to get from one point to another. I'm amazed at how I prefer the smaller apartment I had before. Even that last one was bigger than I wanted.

Yet, I still wonder if my future home is going to be too small. Weird how those negative thoughts get in my head. I may have a problem not having enough room for my stuff, but I can't see how the amount of room would be too limiting for me. When I was a young man I had fun living in a topper (with everything I owned) for three weeks- I adapted to it after a couple of days or so except for the lack of refrigeration. The lack of electricity wasn't a big deal either, but that was before computers and such. Living in a conversion van would be a mansion compared to that. I doubt I could live in a topper for an extended amount of time unless I had to.

Bobcat said:
i guess i have some slight experience. I used to stay in my car for several hours at a time just to get a feel for it and i honestly enjoyed the time i spent in there. I know that's nothing like actually living in a vehicle full time but regardless, i'm gonna dive right in. Almost there

Sitting in the car is as like vandwelling, as watching a ball game is like playing in one.

This is not some romantic fad, but a way of life that must be considered all the time. It takes money to keep your home running. You must be aware of 10,000 different things, from bathrooms to a source of water. From the look of your home, to the look of your tires, and the look of the law. Where to shower, what to buy, keeping food, heat clothing bedding fuel, INSURANCE (You can be towed for not having good paperwork) Need I go on?

I am older, and can talk my way out of more trouble than I used to.

My best nights sleep was after the LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) woke me at 2 AM, then asked quite nicely if he would find me there the next day. (closed county park) I was pleasant to him, and he told me to get a good nights sleep, but not here tomorrow.

It was next to a lake with miles of view over the water, and flocks of protected birds. Everyone would want to stay there if they could. I am happy I got away with 3 glorious nights. I hope I never get used to this. Instead I wake and face the day filled with the wonder of a new child.

Mixed message?

Now you get the idea.

I find it quite romantic and exciting still :D Every new place you go and sleep can give you that little thrill or excited feeling. I remember soon after i joined here I made a thread asking for fun destinations to go travel too once i hit the road, and was slammed with the "its a way of life, not some vacation", get off our lawn! type sentiments. I think there are many ways to approach living in a vehicle, i personally think looking at it as a constant adventure is a good way to go.

"This is not some romantic fad, but a way of life that must be considered all the time. It takes money to keep your home running. You must be aware of 10,000 different things, from bathrooms to a source of water. From the look of your home, to the look of your tires, and the look of the law. Where to shower, what to buy, keeping food, heat clothing bedding fuel, INSURANCE (You can be towed for not having good paperwork) Need I go on?"

I've had almost 3 years of planning and preparing for this lifestyle. I understand living in a van isn't always peaches and cream, It's going to be tough for me, especially the first few months but i'm ready to take on the challenge. I feel there's so much i can learn from this.

Storage, bathrooms, food, heating and cooling, maintenance, shower, money, insurance, cell phone, electricity, need i go on? yes i'm more than aware of these things. If i wasn't than i wouldn't be even thinking of starting this spring. I research about this lifestyle on a daily basis, asking vandwellers as many questions as i can whether it be on youtube or elsewhere. I'm looking forward to take on the problems ahead of me.

Then go for it!

You have a clue, so run with it.

TonyandKaren have an excellent map on their signature. Look it up and enjoy the open road.

Just remember that a smile will get LEO to be much nicer than being short and grumpy.

DazarGaidin said:
I find it quite romantic and exciting still :D Every new place you go and sleep can give you that little thrill or excited feeling. I remember soon after i joined here I made a thread asking for fun destinations to go travel too once i hit the road, and was slammed with the "its a way of life, not some vacation", get off our lawn! type sentiments. I think there are many ways to approach living in a vehicle, i personally think looking at it as a constant adventure is a good way to go.

I have similar feelings. There is a routine aspect, but there is always a novelty aspect that makes it exciting. This is 4 months in for me. Who knows if it will go away or not. I'll just let time take care of itself and enjoy the moments.

“Then go for it!

You have a clue, so run with it.

TonyandKaren have an excellent map on their signature. Look it up and enjoy the open road.

Just remember that a smile will get LEO to be much nicer than being short and grumpy."

I'll definitely check that map out, thanks!

I seem to feel comfortable with whatever environment I'm in.
I had a 2700 square foot (not including basement) home, built in 2005, 5 acres of land, two dogs, two kids and a wife. Then had to move in with my parents and I was happy with a small bedroom. Now I'm in a regular size cargo van and I'm happy. I dove right in head first and so far I'm not having any problems.

I loved it from day one.
I walked away from a house in W. NY and got into a van..and that was the beginning of the best life there is.
You can always get a job if you have to.
You can always stop and get your breath if you need to.

Don't be afraid. Be afraid to not be free. That is the key, I think.

Oz c'mon Bobcat..you can do it.

Bobcat

I went back and reread your post.
Our first trip in a van was in 1977. It was easier then. The things you are worried about weren't a fact back then.
Before we could get out this time (we've been living in an apt for 6 years)..we had to do all the things you mentioned. Passports, satisfying Homeland Security :(, cell phone..we hate them but we got one.
All the other things fall into place. Really. Read Bob's lists..he tells you everything.
Relax. You will work it all out but don't let it scare you. It's easier than you think once you get going.

Oz

1995 G2 Chevy van..got a bed..got stuff all over..got a map...off we go. Oh and we have a porta-potty and sneaky-sleeping curtains and reflexive on the windows. Off we go.