How important is pass-thru for truck/camper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Not That Bob

Reaction score
I might change direction on my project before I really get started. :dodgy:

There are 2 ideas I have for truck/camper. 

One of these will lose the ability to open the sliders and pass threw into the camper from the cab.

For those who have truck/camper how important is having this ability?

Oh, the truck is an extended cab so its not like I can do much while driving anyway.

Being able to pass from the camper to the cab could allow you to drive away from a dangerous situation without walking around outside. There could be robbers, bears, or zombies trying to get in.

I've owned a lot of trucks and very few had a pass-through big enough to accommodate a grown adult. If you are very small or super skinny it could work.

6' 2" , 240# puts me out of the " very small or super skinny" area!

I guess if highly motivated by say, a bear or zombie chewing on your toes, it could happen!

I'll cross that off my worry list.

Not That Bob said:
6' 2" , 240# puts me out of the " very small or super skinny" area!

I guess if highly motivated by say, a bear or zombie chewing on your toes, it could happen!

I'll cross that off my worry list.

Good plan!

There's probably at least another dozen things that can be crossed off that list as well!

The only thing I have used my passthrough for is ventilation.  I can leave the passthrough open without worrying about some lowlife gaining access to my stuff.  It is also sheltered for ventilation during hard driving rains.

I could probably get through the back truck window in an emergency but not without damage to both myself and the window.

-- Spiff

Having never been in any situation I felt I needed to be able to get from my bed to drivers seat to get out of somewhere I don't think it's all that important. I don't see it any different than walking from your car to house in a sticks in bricks or from your camper to truck when traveling.

Stephen Stewart converted a U1300L Unimog to expedition camper.
http://www.xor.org.uk/unimog/mymog.htm

He has traveled to China, Tibet, Mongolia, Siberia with his camper and was fully aware of the pros and cons of the pass thru.
http://www.xor.org.uk/unimog/index.html

Probably 14 years ago I sent an email to Stephen Stewart about finally understanding how he had constructed his pass through from cab to camper. He has a bellows seal between the cab and camper.
http://www.xor.org.uk/unimog/mymog/frontwall.htm
http://www.xor.org.uk/unimog/mymog/crawlthru.htm (take a close look at what is printed at the bottom of this page)

I was surprised at his response about the pass thru as he didn't consider it necessary if he were to do things over again.

Hi, I'm interested in this as well. I would like for my two dogs to be able to jump into the back (with a camper shell in the bed)... I'm looking to find a shell that has real open windows, or build one if I have to.

Good topic.

I would love to have one in mine, I have joked it good I don't have a saw that cuts threw metal. I wont sleep in the back in truck stops or Walmart, tried it feels weird!

highdesertranger said:
I have a pass though on my truck.  I have no back window in the truck and no window in the shell. I posted it in another thread,  I included pics.  but I can't remember what thread it was in.  here it is starting at post #63.  https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-P...e-In-Camper-Rig?page=7&highlight=pass+through .  highdesertranger

Is it right that for according material to work windows have to be same size? If so why would it not work on different size? Thanks!

the 2 cut outs must be the same because of the boot material. if the cut outs were different one would be longer around the circumference then the other there is no way to use the boot then. however even if the shell already has a window or cut out in the front it's pretty easy to fix. you just need to add/remove some material. only modify the shell in case you ever take it off you can put the rear window of the truck back in. you can modify the back window of the truck buy adding material that can easily be remove, I would not cut any metal out of the back of the truck. hope that helps. any more questions ask away. highdesertranger

Oh good, didn't want to high jack this thread but op may have same situation and so many of us want need this. 

Could this situation work? Adding material, would take both windows out. Don't need perfection. I often drive my vehicles till done in.

Attachments

• IMG_20160906_152846.jpg
    IMG_20160906_152846.jpg
    814.4 KB · Views: 24
what material is your shell made out of? it appears the window in the shell is taller then the window in the truck, is that true? highdesertranger

Yes the window in shell is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch higher. It isreally thin, probably really cheap, not sure maybe aluminum? It dents really easy.

I would have at least two ways to get out of the camper. Either a window or roof vent that I could get out of. A pass through would be handy for pets. kind of like a doggy door.

if you are not in a hurry and can wait until RTR(assuming you are going) I can look at it and let you know. it sounds like your shell is made out of aluminum and the skin is real thin. don't despair it can be done. highdesertranger

are you driving the truck to LAX if you are a little detour and I could take a look at it. highdesertranger

Oh right on!!! Let's plan it! At shop now having wheel looked at. Last night was good example of why pass through are important dog hates to sleep in back so she sleeps in cab. She wouldn't quit barking and I thought what do I do now! Will be leaving flagstaff Saturday. I am totally flexible let me know what works for u. Made my day!