How important is interior height to you?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lee - good to hear of another height challenged person. 6'2" here. With sore skull from bumping it. Lol.

Almost There said:
If you aren't able to find a van with the hightop already installed, get a regular van and try it out. It can be added later one way or another.

That's becoming a major strategy for me, I think -- start small and then "pay as I go" to upgrade incrementally, instead of going broke trying to get it all perfect from the beginning.

ganchan said:
That's becoming a major strategy for me, I think -- start small and then "pay as I go" to upgrade incrementally, instead of going broke trying to get it all perfect from the beginning.

There's definitely the opportunity with this lifestyle to 'pay as you go'. Buy the van, add the high top when you can afford it.

Can't afford to put the full interior in that you want...do the preliminary steps, insulate, put something up for drapes or find some scrap reflectix. Don't have the money to run full 'do it all' electric...heck use a rechargeable lantern from W/M and a cooler until you can afford LED's and a 12v cooler. Buy a cheap 2 burner propane stove and cook outside in the park until you can afford to put in a full stove unit. Dishpan will work for a sink and a bucket for a porta pottie until you can afford something better. Some people are quite happy using stackable totes for storage others want built in cabinets.

Living within your means and never being indebted again is a wonderful way to live that many of our society never cotton on to as a way of life!!

Great post AT!

I totally agree... start small and build up to better as you can afford it.

Live in a car first! Then you'll be glad you have so much extra space in the van!
Lol, thats sort of how it worked out for me. Not intentionally or anything...

I am 6'7" and it is very hard to find something with enough interior height.   We built our own camper and made the interior height eight feet!    I can do jumping jacks inside.

I wonder if we ever downsize to a van if there would be one with enough height, even with a extension...

Ganchan, I got very lucky and found a cargo van with a hi-top and I love it. But I've heard a lot of people say a rolling chair or rolling stool works just great for them. Also I've heard people say they like their low ceiling because it forces them outside more and they get more fresh air and exercise. With this nice hi-top comes the risk of being a van potato. But I guess that could apply either way.

Yes, at 6'1", a Hi-Top or Raised Roof Van is a must. I like the fact that the new Sprinters are Hi-Roofed but since their so narrow and thin, the fact that their 'Top-Heavy' could be problemactic. Another option could be to look for used Shuttle Vans? like the ones used for the Airports that are now for sale. Also, Handicapped Vans usually have Hi-Tops installed....if you decide on a regular Cargo or Conversion van and want to have a friend install a raised roof for you, maybe this company can help.....http://www.fiberine.com/GVMR/Full_Size_Van_Tops.html

I have a post in conversions and modifications about a pop up shower stall in a reg height van.. Called raised shower stall... Still in the design phase, but pretty workable in my opinion.

I'm short, but I at least need a mid height top. I have to work to not stoop as it is---can't live stooped over because of a low ceiling. Sometimes I'm stuck being a potato though that could change with all the fresh air and hiking while traveling. *fingers crossed*

offroad said:
6'2" here. With sore skull from bumping it. Lol.

6'4.5" myself, and I've got two bumps on my head because of it.  :p

My biggest issue with having enough headroom is that I also want to get decent mpg's.  I used to drive Sprinters for work and could just barely stand up in them, but they're just too darn expensive to own and maintain.  Seemed like they were always in the shop for little things, and the repairs were alway costly.  
(go figure, it's a Mercedes Benz).  

I've got a Transit Connect, and while I can't stand up in it, I can sit up straight when I'm sitting on the bed or kneeling on the floor or sitting on the potty, and that's a big help. 
Someone in this thread mentioned "living in it" vs "living out of it", and I fully intend to do the latter, only spending time in the van when I have to.  

Hopefully I don't go crazy. 

Bigt - interesting perspective for tall guys. Was thinking similar and want to bring a large net tent that can be erected and stood up inside. Sure you need to watch it against wind damage, but it gives you outside space. Maybe some awning space can be assembled quickly. --- but that's a lot more work

Hopefully my low top works out for me. Right now I have yet to really stay an extended period of time in it, but we'll see. Like a lot of people I'm imagining I won't be spending time in it unless I'm sleeping.

Latest posts