How I patch my jeans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c_hasbeen

Reaction score
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]This is how I patch my jeans, I got a nice deal on a heavy sewing machine for 35 BUCKS a while back [/font]
IMAG0455.jpg

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]First I turn the jeans inside out and cut out a bigger area than just the hole, usual the hole is in the knee area and I make the patch bigger so I am not sewing in the thinnest areas of the jeans, plus it makes sure the seam is not directly under my knee when I bend down to do something. [/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I cut a 45 degree angle in each corner of the hole, and then mark with a pin from the edge of the 45 degree cut all the way around to give me a guide where to sew [/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I cut a patch out of an other pair of doner jeans that is a little bigger than the hole I cut in the jeans. [/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I then pin the patch in place trying to keep it exactly flat and folded up towards me [/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]then I sew around the seams making sure not to stitch other parts of the jeans together that do not need to be sewn to the patch. [/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]once I have gone around the patch I come back and sew the corners, this makes a slight pucker on the patch and the jeans when it is done but it is not bad or really notifiable. [/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]then I sew once more around the seam and trim the excess back with pinking shears [/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I iron the seams flat, turn the jeans right side out and iron the front of the seams. [/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=x-small][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]jeans turned inside out with a hole in the knee[/font][/font][/size]
IMAG0456.jpg
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]cut out the hole and make 45 degree angle cuts and draw sewing guide lines[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]IMAG0457.jpg[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=x-small][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]pin in place to sew along the mark[/font][/font][/size]
IMAG0458.jpg
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]first seam[/font]
IMAG0459.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0455.jpg
    IMAG0455.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMAG0456.jpg
    IMAG0456.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMAG0457.jpg
    IMAG0457.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG0458.jpg
    IMAG0458.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG0459.jpg
    IMAG0459.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 4
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]This is how I patch my jeans, I got a nice deal on a heavy sewing machine for 35 BUCKS a while back [/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]First I turn the jeans inside out and cut out a bigger area than just the hole, usual the hole is in the knee area and I make the patch bigger so I am not sewing in the thinnest areas of the jeans, plus it makes sure the seam is not directly under my knee when I bend down to do something. [/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I cut a 45 degree angle in each corner of the hole, and then mark with a pin from the edge of the 45 degree cut all the way around to give me a guide where to sew [/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I cut a patch out of an other pair of doner jeans that is a little bigger than the hole I cut in the jeans. [/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I then pin the patch in place trying to keep it exactly flat and folded up towards me [/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]then I sew around the seams making sure not to stitch other parts of the jeans together that do not need to be sewn to the patch. [/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]once I have gone around the patch I come back and sew the corners, this makes a slight pucker on the patch and the jeans when it is done but it is not bad or really notifiable. [/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]then I sew once more around the seam and trim the excess back with pinking shears [/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I iron the seams flat, turn the jeans right side out and iron the front of the seams. [/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=x-small][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]jeans turned inside out with a hole in the knee[/font][/font][/size]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]cut out the hole and make 45 degree angle cuts and draw sewing guide lines[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=x-small][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]pin in place to sew along the mark[/font][/font][/size]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]first seam[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]make sure to put your hand down the leg so you know you are not sewing the back of the jeans to the patch by accident
[/font]
IMAG0462.jpg
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]sew all sides[/font]
IMAG0463.jpg
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]sewing each corner[/font]
IMAG0465.jpg
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]sewing a second set of stitches on all sides after the corners are sewn[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]IMAG0469.jpg[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=x-small][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]trim and iron on the inside[/font][/font][/size]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=x-small][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]finished[/font][/font][/size]

IMAG0473.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0462.jpg
    IMAG0462.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMAG0463.jpg
    IMAG0463.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMAG0465.jpg
    IMAG0465.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMAG0469.jpg
    IMAG0469.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMAG0473.jpg
    IMAG0473.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 5
Nicely done.
I use old denim material and liquid stitch. I turn the hole-y jeans inside out, slide a piece of paper or plastic between the leg fabric so it doesn't get glued together, cut a patch of appropriate size--larger than the hole, and with rounded corners, follow the glue directions, and apply it. Then place a paper or plastic on the patch, add weights for pressure, and let it dry 24 hours or so.