How do you value$ a conversion van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It seems when I run these type of vans through Kelly Blue Book I get numbers that are much lower then what a private party is asking.

For example;
A 2002, 66,000 mile, GMC Savana with high top, tv, all that etc, asking price is $14000.
I run that van through KBB with all the options, power window, locks, leather, etc. and KKB comes back with $7200.

Seems there is not a really good way to take into account the fact that it is a conversion with a high top in KBB.

Is there a tool on line to help get a fair value of these type of vans?

Supply and demand ,,, if there's a big demand for conversion vans the kelly blue book will mean nothing.

some people just think their stuff is awesome and dont check the market before listing

This is one of those intangible things, how much is a modified vehicle worth?
Answer: it depends on the buyer and the seller
For example, If I were to buy a van from a van dweller, and he made note of all the mods he made to it to make it livable, in order to inflate the blu book price, but I wanted it as a work van, or didn't like his setup, it's only worth the vehicles's base value to me
but if I like his setup, I might pay a premium for it
Have you tried looking it up by the name of the conversion company? that might help
I seriously doubt the value of a conversion is nearly 2x the value of a standard van just because it has a high top, and a TV, although 'all that' might actually make it an RV, depending on what 'all that' is

Anyone open to a pm with a link to the van in question.
Guess I'd like to keep it close to my vest.

This one is an "Explorer Van" conversion. That one is not listed on the RVvalue site, though.

DimondColorCloud said:
This one is an "Explorer Van" conversion. That one is not listed on the RVvalue site, though.

Ahh, THAT type of conversion van...sorry, for some reason I thought you were looking for something like a Class B.

I just googled "how to find a value on a conversion van" and got a couple of conversion van dealers who buy vehicles like Explorers from private owners and also some discussion on Edmunds.com on how to find a value for one you already own. Very little out there for the buyer on how to figure out if it's a fair price that the seller is asking.

Looks like the only way to figure it out is by comparison shopping or spending some time on the couple of websites of the companies that are buying up the conversions for resale, keeping in mind that they have a fairly good mark up that needs to be discounted if you're buying privately.

Word of warning about the conversion vans like the Explorer - the high tops do NOT give you standing height and the interior was meant for travelling between point A and B in luxurious comfort, not for living in. While they look pretty, they are, IMO, mostly spit and polish - Luxury seating, nice looking wood and fabric trim, upgraded stereo systems and great on board TV/video/game systems. They were never designed for those of us who want to live on the road/boondock/camp!

I hear you, thank you.

I plan on pretty much gutting the back out. Might even cover a window or two. All the chairs and benches in back would come out and be sold.

About the height. I'm 6'7" and so no matter what van I get I'm not going to get to stand up. I figure guys are living out of stock cargo vans with that low roof height (53" I think) so, one these Explorers with another foot of roof will be at least better for me then the just stock height.

A potential draw back I see are the lower side trims at the bottom. I assume these lower the ground clearance. Suppose they can be taken off though if it becomes a problem.

I have found Edmunds to be a much better real world pricing guide.Use KBB when selling and Edmunds when buying.Good Luck.

All that blue book stuff has never meant anything to me not even as a reference tool. I visualize what I want and need and go for it. I will shy away from really old stuff because these are usually aged out. Make a list of amenities add their value and stay close to that number.

DimondColorCloud said:
I hear you, thank you.

I plan on pretty much gutting the back out. Might even cover a window or two. All the chairs and benches in back would come out and be sold.

About the height. I'm 6'7" and so no matter what van I get I'm not going to get to stand up. I figure guys are living out of stock cargo vans with that low roof height (53" I think) so, one these Explorers with another foot of roof will be at least better for me then the just stock height.

A potential draw back I see are the lower side trims at the bottom. I assume these lower the ground clearance. Suppose they can be taken off though if it becomes a problem.

The 36" high top would definitely give you standing height!

My 24" top give me a standing height of 6'2" after I put in floor and ceiling which reduced it by about 3".

The 36" high top is available from several manufacturers if you have to buy new. They might be a little hard to come by used since they were mostly only used in converting vans to handicap use. Most of them also come with the cut out for the double opening doors which you would either have to keep or figure out a way to fill in the gap.

IMO, there is absolutely no point in paying the high price for a conversion van if you're just going to rip all the parts out that the seller is asking the high price for. There isn't as much of a market for those seats as you might think there is and all the trim work that would come out has little to no value at all except when left in place. The conversion vans are also generally very poorly insulated and you lose about 10" across the width of the van  with the interior side walls that are in place.

Personally, I think one is better off buying a stock vehicle and adding to it the things that are important to them rather than the other way around.

It's supply and demand. Honking around in a class-b is the "in-thing" so prices will be higher for those compared to a comparable year class-c. Before I bought my Ford, I was prepared to spend up to 20G's for a nice class-B, even though I knew that I could just get a extended wheelbase cargo van for $2G's and spend another $5G's putting a hightop on and outfitting the interior to my liking. 

I personally love the older camper-vans. They are often simpler machines to maintain and work on when things go wonky. Your average hightop RV type van has a 24" top, but older bus type vans are often equipped with 30" tops. I'm 6"2 and I can stand up in my RV (24" top) with just a tad bit of room to spare. A 30" hightop should accommodate you at 6"7. (dang! thats tall@!) The great thing is the demand for these bus-type vans are pretty weak, so it'll be cheap(er).

Its expensive, but you can simply buy a standard van and have a company like this:

http://www.fiberine.com/GVMR/Full_Size_Van_Tops.html

to simply install a 30" top. They quoted me $3G's to install a 24" hightop to my SWB Dodge 4x4 van. (OUCH)

Cloud
The 36" high tops are a good suggestion for your clearance requirements.......a little hard to find though.

So , I have two words for you.......

Step Van

Edit: Looks like our tribe rig finder has found a high top , it might be the one,,,,if not,
back to those two words !

Good Luck with the hunt !

I wound up gutting my conversion Van interior in stages. In my case the conversion van was not something I hadmy heart set upon, it was just one of the first available vans int he area I was searching.

No I cannot stand up in it, but at 5'10" and all that foo foo velour crap removed from the walls, I do sleep side to side across the back comfortably. not possible at 6'7" though.

I've ke[pt one captains chair in back, and keep it free swivelling, and have no real need to stand up straight. I just swing into the 3rd chair and pivot around to accomplish most any task in the van.

I could use a new 3rd chair. i spent 20$ in the junkyard for the latest one, but it wears out quickly being used as much as it is.

As far a price goes, the owners seem to think all that conversion company crap adds value, but other than the slightly higher roof it adds little value to a dweller. I keep 3 large surfboards strapped to my ceiling and without the raised roof this would not be possible, or comfortable if I went ahead with it anyway.

Where the conversion roof meets roof gutter is an area to pay special attention to, rust wise. I'd recommend walking away from any vehicle showing signs of rust in these gutters, unless you like a useless war of attrition and the price is acceptable.