How Do We Get the Dagum Seats Out?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesertDweller

Reaction score
Okay, so neither one of us is handy oriented. We need to remove our captain's chairs in our Ford van. The bolts used don't match any wrench we have laying around here. What kind of tool is needed to remove the seats? Do we need to do it by climbing underneath the van, or can we somehow wrench them out from the inside? I know, it's a really dumb question, huh? (I can hear you snickering from here!) We need to get them out tomorrow. Ya' got to start somewhere  :s

Chances are you will have to get underneath. A few vehicles have a secured nut underneath but not most.

Probably you will need a couple of the correct size sockets & a ratchet unless you know every cuss word there is as taking seats out with wrenches is a b****!

Try doing a Google search on your vehicle for some diagrams & bolt sizes, you might also check YouTube.

Good luck, you sure do have to start somewhere & making more living space is a super start!

Ah, YouTube...I think I'll make a run over there. My David once fixed our old big screen TV from watching a YouTube video! *she smacks herself in the forehead...* Why didn't I think of that?  :blush:

DesertDweller said:
Ah, YouTube...I think I'll make a run over there. My David once fixed our old big screen TV from watching a YouTube video! *she smacks herself in the forehead...* Why didn't I think of that?  :blush:

*laugh*

if you don't have a wrench to fit the bolts you need to get one. one person above and one person under. you could do the visegrip method but I consider that a last resort. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
if you don't have a wrench to fit the bolts you need to get one.  one person above and one person under.  you could do the visegrip method but I consider that a last resort.  highdesertranger

Last resort is what I had to do - take the vehicle to a body shop, pay $50.00 and have THEM do it. They had to use a torch on a couple of the bolts!

DesertDweller said:
Okay, so neither one of us is handy oriented. We need to remove our captain's chairs in our Ford van. The bolts used don't match any wrench we have laying around here. What kind of tool is needed to remove the seats? Do we need to do it by climbing underneath the van, or can we somehow wrench them out from the inside? I know, it's a really dumb question, huh? (I can hear you snickering from here!) We need to get them out tomorrow. Ya' got to start somewhere  :s

What year ford van. Are they factory seats? E series usually have 2 bolts at the front of the seat base going into the floor. T45 or t50 torx bit. Rear 2 are studs with 18 or 19mm nut on them.

WrenchLife said:
What year ford van. Are they factory seats? E series usually have 2 bolts at the front of the seat base going into the floor. T45 or t50 torx bit. Rear 2 are studs with 18 or 19mm nut on them.

It's a 1998 Ford conversion van. Yes, it's E series. Has the two captain's seats behind the driver's seats, then the jacknife bed in back.

Oh I was thinking you were talking about the driver and passenger seats. I have limited experience with conversion vans but enough to know they are a pain in the butt. Hope you were able to get the seats out, sorry I couldn't help.

I've helped a couple people take them out. Usually 4 bolts with nuts and large washers underneath. Two people and the correct wrenches and sockets. Person underneath needs to be pretty flexible as some of the nuts are above other undercarriage parts. Usually some rust involved also. Another option if working alone or rust is to much of an issue is to take a grinder or cutoff tool and cut the heads off the bolts from above. Then drive the rest of the bolt out with a punch. Just watch which direction the sparks are flying and use safety glasses along with hearing protection. Only use a torch if you really know what you're doing - many many flamable things around and the whole van could literally go up in flames.

Almost There said:
Last resort is what I had to do - take the vehicle to a body shop, pay $50.00 and have THEM do it. They had to use a torch on a couple of the bolts!

HAHAHAHA!!! A person 'after my own heart'!!! LOL.. Always a good idea to keep a stash of cash to Throw At things you just can't or don't want or don't have TIME to deal with!

(I had my Sienna stow and go's taken out for $30!  It was only 3 bolts each - I was just pretty sure I would have two problems: LIFTING them out and DISPOSING of them! :)

cherterr said:
HAHAHAHA!!! A person 'after my own heart'!!! LOL.. Always a good idea to keep a stash of cash to Throw At things you just can't or don't want or don't have TIME to deal with!

(I had my Sienna stow and go's taken out for $30!  It was only 3 bolts each - I was just pretty sure I would have two problems: LIFTING them out and DISPOSING of them! :)

yea those seats were pretty darned heavy.

I had snap in seats on one of the mini vans and I arm wrestled them in and out a couple of times when I either needed seating or an open floor for camping in it. After doing it myself a couple of times I paid a neighborhood teenage boy to do the muscle work for me - he made it look like childs' play.

I always keep a stash of cash for just those moments. I used it yesterday to have a friend of a friend move my cargo trailer from its' winter storage spot to my campsite.

For me to do it would have meant emptying my hitch haul box (major PITA), having someone break lose the nuts holding the box in place - cause smartass me insisted on Locktite on them when Rob and I installed in in AZ, then dropping the box and the hitch. Then and only then could I replace the receiver and go get the trailer....it was worth way more than the $20. bill I slipped the guy who picked it up and brought it to me.

Well, turns out it's a 3/4 ratchet, which we bought an entire ratchet set at the swap meet yesterday for $4. He did work on it a bit, but didn't get them out yet. He's workin' on it  :rolleyes:

I am assuming you mean a 3/4 inch socket. of course you know what happens when you assume. highdesertranger