How do I make a futon with seatbelts in my van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

them_benjamins

Reaction score
Hi There,
I recently started on my camper van conversion. I bought a 96 Dodge Ram Van 2500 and have it fully Gutted and Ready for Re-build. 

I am looking to carry more then 2 passengers about 4 max and I would like to know what I need to do to make this legal as well as safe.

What I am trying to do is install a Futon in the back width wise that during the day can be 2-3 seats in the back of the Van and at night I can open it up to a bed for sleeping. What is the best way to go about making this with seatbelts?

I was reading somewhere I could register it as a motor home and other passengers dont legally need seat belts. What would you all recommend?

PS I live in PA so im not sure if laws there are different then other parts of the US.

I would recommend that you purchase a width wise bed made to fit in conversion vans. That way you will have something that was structurally designed to be used with seat belts. It will have a properly welded steel frame that can resist the forces of the impact from a collision. It is not just the seat belt that is of concern, it is also the framing of the structure you are sitting on. So if you want to be legal you have to start with a product that complies with the industry regulations for vans. Unless you go through the whole process of getting it certified as a motorhome this will be the easier route to take.

If you are on a tight budget then prowl the junk yards for one or look on craigslist in the auto parts section.

Of course the next issue will be bolting it into place and getting the attach points for seat belts properly installed. Lap plus shoulder restraints. But there are youtube videos and forums that get specific by make and model of van for the conversion van modifications.

you will never make a regular futon legal. one of the class B type beds is about as close as you are going get. highdesertranger

My 87 dodge passenger van had a OEM 3 passenger seat that folded down into a cot. It was designed as a safe, seat belted seat. Not jury rigged. So I guess they are available.

Weight said:
My 87 dodge passenger van had a OEM 3 passenger seat that folded down into a cot. It was designed as a safe, seat belted seat. Not jury rigged. So I guess they are available.

A lot of the commercial conversion vans had the seats that fold down into beds. There were lots of them around in the 70s. 80s and 90s, conversion vans were quite popular before the era of mini vans and Sprinter Vans. Lots of them are now sitting in junk yards or being sold for parts on craigslist. It should not require a lot of time to locate one unless you are in a remote area that has very few junk yards. You can of course still buy such seats brand new from various sources that specialize in custom vans but those are pricey.

Mine is not a conversion van. It is a passenger B250 van. The seat was factory equipment.

them_benjamins said:
Hi There,
I recently started on my camper van conversion. I bought a 96 Dodge Ram Van 2500 and have it fully Gutted and Ready for Re-build. 

I am looking to carry more then 2 passengers about 4 max and I would like to know what I need to do to make this legal as well as safe.

What I am trying to do is install a Futon in the back width wise that during the day can be 2-3 seats in the back of the Van and at night I can open it up to a bed for sleeping. What is the best way to go about making this with seatbelts?

I was reading somewhere I could register it as a motor home and other passengers dont legally need seat belts. What would you all recommend?

PS I live in PA so im not sure if laws there are different then other parts of the US.

Where are you? I have one of those fold down jackknife seats in my van that I will give you if you help me construct a bed platform. I’m in Yuba City, CA
Cowboy Ken

them_benjamins said:
Hi There,

Oops, just noticed that you are from PA, but still, the offer holds. I’ll be in Quartzsite the first two weeks of March.

I pulled a bench that folded into 1/2 a bed out of my project van and put it on the curb.
It was one of two from an older 80's Ford E150 conversion that my step-dad had owned.
He put the bench into the 2001 van to have a rear seat.
These benches didn't have seat belts attached to them, but belts were anchored to the floor.
The two benches provided three rows of seating but when folded provided a queen sized bed space.

You want to be careful strapping people to a bed/futon with seatbelts.
If anything breaks lose in a collision you might be making things worse.
Futons and wooden frames aren't designed to take the stresses a human body exerts in a collision or rollover.
And wood splinters and produces jagged edges.

Try to find a conversion van bench that folds or a proper bench seat that you can modify or work with.
Seatbelts and the seats themselves should be anchored to the van floor with Grade 8 hardware.