how do I connect 24v fridge to 48v battery?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya I could get the Kodiak, which is 12v all in one system, 20 lbs total battery and all, but capacity is only 1.1kWh. Maxes out at 600w solar, which isnt bad but i was concerned with the panels because it cant be over 30 amps or 600w. I will call Kodiak and see how I can max out the solar on it. I really like the Kodiak from what I can tell, and in a few months they said they will be able to charge more batteries that are lithium instead of only lead acid. I think I will be driving more than I think and will be able to charge my Kodiak via the cig lighter, or ac when at friends, or solar when im just camped in nowhere land.

I am sure you guys seen the Kodiak right? https://www.inergysolar.com/product/kodiak/

The only reason i turned my nose up at the kodiak and to build my own system was the panel voltage was 32v. 3 of those panasonics fit perfectly ontop of the roof. but having to keep below the specs of kodiak makes it not able to charge so fast everyday like I thought, i dont know. Solar panels are always getting more watts for less space so by the time I do buy my setup, there will be better panels, better batteries, better everything cause future holds improvements for us.

breaker1nine said:
 I think I will be driving more than I think and will be able to charge my Kodiak via the cig lighter...

If you have pulled a lot of energy (ah, wh) out of that Kodiak, you will need to be driving a LOT to replace that capacity with only 5 to maybe 10 amps normally available from the typical 12v power port. 

The Kodiak manual is 'optimistic' about the charging current and wattage available from the typical 12v power port:

"• Using Car Charger 

Using a vehicle’s 12V DC socket (240 Watts) charges the Kodiak at 240W, taking approximately five hours to fully recharge. Connect car charger to Port 2."

This assumes you have 20 amps available from the lighter port. I dont know of any modern vehicle that fuses this port at 25 or 30 amps. (it has to be fused higher than what you are drawing from it)

Now, it would be possible (I assume) to wire up a direct, and much heavier, line to the battery and charge the Kodiak that way. 

BTW, for the price of the other large lithium battery you linked to, you could buy TWO of these Kodiaks and get in the high energy game, plus have a plug and play, redundant power source.

OK, so now I'm interpreting that you haven't actually bought the gear yet?

If so, excellent.

The issue with the Kodiak unit as you say is their limiting you to their charge sources. Yes more plug and play but a **lot** less flexibility.

Plus a **much** higher price per AH compared to putting a bank together yourself. DIY would be my choice, but definitely a techie challenge with LFP.

Since money is obviously not an issue for you and you seem to really "need" the lower space/weight per AH capacity that LFP offers, I would suggest contacting Bruce Schwab @ Ocean Planet, and inquire about the Lithionics LFP system he helped design.

Victron and MasterVolt are the other two mainstream "packaged system" vendors, and Bruce may sell them as well.

In all cases stick to a 12V system, much easier to get one boost converter if needed for some particular device than it is to come down for all the rest.