How close do you need to park to get free wifi

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverVoyager

Reaction score
I know a lot of places have free wifi for their customers and I was wondering if I could get it by parking close? For example, Starbucks, but I can't afford that. Does anyone know if McDonalds or what other places I can stop at to get email, backup to the cloud, etc.
I know the AT&T store is able to tightly control their access so that if you are just out the door, you don't get it.
I have handicap placards so sometimes I can park close. Any ideas? Sometimes I just don't feel like going into someplace when I'm wearing sweatpants and low on bucks.

It's impossible to say  how close because every store is different.

For example, one time last year I was parked out near the perimeter of a WalMart and couldn't use their free signal. BUT, Lowe's was further away - I wasn't even in their parking lot - and I could use their signal just fine. I actually got a smokin' deal on disposable batteries from them that I saw in their entry page... :D

I understand there are devices you can use to extend the distance that you can get a signal. Someone else will have to tell you about them because I use my own cell phone almost exclusively for my laptop. I prefer having my own service because I don't feel right about using the free ones without patronizing the firm supplying it. Since I don't drink coffee nor eat fast food, it kind of limits who I'd use... :rolleyes:

Excellent question!  I don't have any problem using a store's wifi - whether I patronize the business or not.  I don't sit and use it for hours - just to check mail or whatever and be on my way.  Like the OP, there are times when I don't care to go inside and would prefer to be able to access it from the parking lot.  

With all of that in mind, I tried a 16 element Yagi antenna (1 reflector element, one driven element, and 14 director elements) for marketed for wifi frequencies on a recent trip and was very disappointed in its performance since it only gave the equivalent performance, over a distance, when compared to the results which an omni-directional (rubber duck type) antenna produced.  I don't know if it was a design defect by the manufacturing company or if the individual unit was defective due to mishandling in transit or otherwise.  Also, I was going through a heavy/coarse metal window screen (not fine gauge copper or fabric, etc), which I would think would absorb some signal, but that would be true for the omni-directional antenna that I used for comparison, too.  I did find that the Yagi was very directional, as one would expect, and would quickly lose signal strength if moved to one side or the other.  

I've used Yagis for 10, 15, and 20 meter wavelengths and found them very effective there - so I'm satisfied that the Yagi concept/design is a sound and effective one - leaving me inclined to suspect a defect in the unit I was using.  

I would love to know of a specific product, whether a yagi antenna (they're not all are the same quality!) or a panel/grid-type directional antenna used in conjunction with something to amplify signals, or something else, that would allow easy access from a bit further back in the parking lot rather than up front in the handicap spaces.  Size matters, in a vehicle, of course, so the smaller the solution would be, the better and more useful it would be!  

Peterson

The signal drops off very rapidly, so getting even a little bit closer, helps quite a bit.

I.e., get as close as you possibly can. :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B033DY

Hawking Technology Hi-Gain Wireless-150N USB Network Dish Adapter

Wireless Speeds up to 150Mbps, 3x faster than typical wireless speeds.
6dBi Directional Dish Antenna increases your wireless range up to 4x further than your typical wireless antenna.
[*]Supports Windows and Mac OS up to OS 10.10
[*]Setup is quick and Simple

[*]
31qJoQ75yzL.jpg

Getting a stronger wifi antenna is on my todo list this week. I think it will make a huge difference to be able to stay in the parking lot some times and still get a signal.

When I was in San Francisco last year I was able to park right outside a Starbucks on the street. They closed early but wifi was always on. A few nights I would lay in bed watching netflix because I was probably the only one on the network because there were no customers. I wouldn't do it during the day but saw no harm while they were closed.

I covered this in another recent thread but re-posting here:

You can also buy 1 or 2 watt USB wifi cards that can accept an external antenna. Some folks refer to these as wifi boosters, but they don't 'boost' your existing wifi card, they are a separate unit with a more powerful wifi radio than what you are using now.

These can give you a range of about 1/4 to 1/3 mile (to a good public wifi access point) with a very simple magnetic antenna on the roof of the vehicle. They will run about $30-$40 or so with the magnetic antenna.

Mine look like this:

If you need more range and are willing to spend more money, look on this website...they have whatever you need to get a long range wifi signal:

https://www.jefatech.com/collections/jef...peater-kit

Links to the unit on the right:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MELON-2000...800156?hash=item3f5f98f81c:g:3NAAAOSwxp9W9W78

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RP-SMA-2-4...640578?hash=item56a2fc7182:g:D-0AAOSwU9xZ3e~9

SilverVoyager said:
I know a lot of places have free wifi for their customers and I was wondering if I could get it by parking close? For example, Starbucks, but I can't afford that. Does anyone know if McDonalds or what other places I can stop at to get email, backup to the cloud, etc.
I know the AT&T store is able to tightly control their access so that if you are just out the door, you don't get it.
I have handicap placards so sometimes I can park close. Any ideas? Sometimes I just don't feel like going into someplace when I'm wearing sweatpants and low on bucks.

It depends on who is providing the signal. You'll just have to experiment on the spot.

But I've found that getting within 50 feet usually does the trick.

Check out libraries, too. Some of them don't require a library card for access, and they leave their wifi on even when they're closed. If you can, call them while they're open and ask if they provide guest wifi passes, some do.

That's a good idea, I love library vibes anyway. The one near me is where I go for quiet time, people leave me alone and they have clean restrooms.
So we have Lowes, libraries, Starbucks, and maybe if parked close to Walmart. But I think of Walmart as kinda the park around the perimeter place! Maybe they have wifi in their little eating area near the front doors. Always smells so darn good when you walk in hungry.
You guys are so helpful and knowledgeable. I hope to learn enough to help others someday.?

The other place you can try to find wifi is a community center.

I know the one in Cottonwood offers free wifi, there's always people sitting in quite comfortable looking seating in the lobby working away on their laptops. I use it for showers, it has a $5.00 per day non-resident pass. You can go swimming, work out in the gym, play tennis etc. etc. - I just head to the showers most times and skip the workout part.... :rolleyes:

From these posts I see that there is more wifi out there than I thought. That's good, I don't like to not be able to see the news, times are so weird these days, I need to know what's up, but sometimes it's too much, you know?

Search the web for cantenna. Basically an antenna made from a can. They do work for the shorter distances you are talking. I'm talking articles.on indestructibles, wikiHow, and the like. One is made from a Pringles can

Great ideas on antennas to use and I'm probably as appreciative as the OP!  

Another question comes to mind: Is there any reasonably economical way I can use wifi in the parking lot if I only have a phone or a tablet?  

In other words, when there isn't any USB to use in connecting an antenna as there is on a laptop?  

Peterson

Peterson said:
Another question comes to mind: Is there any reasonably economical way I can use wifi in the parking lot if I only have a phone or a tablet?  

In other words, when there isn't any USB to use in connecting an antenna as there is on a laptop?  

That's what the jeffatech equipment does, it repeats wireless signals.

https://www.jefatech.com/collections/jefa-tech-wifi-repeaters

There are also other vendors of this kind of gear, but jefatech is the one I know about.

Inexpensive home-based off-the-shelf wifi repeaters might work for you, or they might not.

Peterson, if your tablet is like my iPad, there is a place in settings where you turn on wifi and then your tablet, if like an iPad, searches for wifi. It also show which wifi is locked and which isn't.
My old laptop had to have a hotspot unit separate from the laptop. If you are using a hotspot you can go into its settings and extend its range, somewhat, like a few feet.
I apologize if this information is too simple, it's probably known by everyone but me until a few months ago.

Peterson said:
Great ideas on antennas to use and I'm probably as appreciative as the OP!  

Peterson

go look at my previous post. It links to both antennas and repeaters. you can plug the antennas into a usb port or plug them into the repeater which will then transmit wifi like a wireless router.