Hop Off the Shuttle Bus, Gus!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vagabound

Reaction score
OK, so I don't have any idea who Gus is, except that guy in the old song "Hop off the bus, Gus; you don't need to discuss much; just drop off the key, Lee; and get yourself free!"

----------

Of the many vehicle types that I've considered prior to buying, the one that I haven't really given any attention to yet is shuttle buses.  To have a common definition, I'm talking about something that looks generically like this:

shuttle bus clip art.jpg

To help anyone who's interested, and to help me with my project of exorcising the demons of non-standard vehicles from my head (box trucks, school buses, etc.) so I can just happily buy a van (or not), I'd appreciate some thoughts specifically about shuttle buses as a living platform.  As an aside, there's a heavy equipment auction coming up here in a week that would include vehicles like this.  Also, I noticed that we don't seem to have a thread dedicated to shuttle buses, so this might serve the purpose.

The things I'm wondering about are what is typically true of them, pros, cons, barely-known gotchas, etc.  Some starter questions:

• Are they usually gas or diesel?
  • Are they just built on a normal van or truck chassis?
  • Do they only have standing room for Frodo or would most people be able to stand up in them?
  • Is there anything about a shuttle bus that would make it inherently more problematic than a similar van or truck of the same make?
  • Are they typically over 10,000 GVWR?
  • Would there be the same potential problems insuring them as there are for some box trucks?
  • Are they so goofy that they can be bought for a cheap price in good condition, or are they some sort of treasured and expensive vehicle, even when well used?
  • Because they are designed to be kept in nearly constant use, are they typically worn out pieces of junk when finally put up for sale?
  • Features to look for? To avoid?
  • Would you consider one for a DIY build-out?
Overall, are they more trouble than they're worth or an excellent platform for mobile living?

That should be enough to get this going.

Vagabound

Attachments

• shuttle bus clip art.jpg
    shuttle bus clip art.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 10
Shuttle buses are still on my list.  Some people run screaming and some people love them.  For me the main attraction is fiberglass roof (assuming it would be less leaky than a Class C) and gobs of standing room.  

In my area they are sold at a decent price unless they have been converted to party buses;   those are inexplicably overpriced.  You think there'd be a discount for all the puke that's surely been everywhere.

My understanding so far --

PRO
standing room!
those with lifts would be cool for loading small motorcycles or other heavy stuff
lighter duty components than a schoolbus, so likely less $$$ to maintain
lots of space for solar
anchors on the floor where the seats were mounted
fiberglass coach may be less leaky thank sticks-and-tin

CON
have to do something with all the seats
have to do something with the lift if there is one and you don't want it
probably idled a lot
geared for urban use, rather than highway
will have to work out insulation/privacy solution for all those windows
many come with the ford V10, for which there seems to be a lot of hate
probably not much ground clearance.  Can anyone speak to this?
might be banned from areas that forbid buses.  Parks?
turrible MPG

I think if you could get one from a church or higher end hotel it would have been treated better, maintained better, and traded in for a cosmetically better-looking model.  Tour groups and inexpensive hotels would have probably beat them into the ground.

I would think the maker of the body/coach would be a significant part of the decision.  If you can see the logo or if it is listed you could run some googly goodness to see common problems and reputations.

Many are made on the same cutaway van chassis as class C RVs, like ford E450 or E350. Larger ones may be built on larger truck chassies, maybe with full custom front. (Like a class A.)

In fact, bus companies simply call them cutaways
the ones Greater Austin Transportation Company had were great re reliability, never leaked anywhere (except, briefly, the one I wrecked) and had a ton of room inside

They were, however, quite rattly, noisy, and heavy a lot of that rattle was the WC lifts, to be fair
If I had no plans to go off road, I would buy one in a heartbeat, build it, and be happy as a pig in, well, you know
if I had notions of going off road, I would run screaming in the opposite direction

The only thing I know about this thread is it's "Hop ON the bus Gus".

You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

The song is "50 ways to leave your lover" by Paul Simon.

rvpopeye said:
You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

You go, man!

(I always liked that song, too)

blars:  The song is "50 ways to leave your lover" by Paul Simon.

"And the 'Didn't Notice The Link To The Lyrics In My Original Post' Award goes to ...."

;-)

Vagabound

actually the manufacturers call them a cab and chassis. then they are outfitting by after market companies in many different configurations. highdesertranger

Yes, we did one.
www.pbase.com/lowtech9/camper

Things I like about them,
Easy to get early '90's Fords w/ the real 7.3 diesel
The ford's are mostly E-350/ 450's, so easy to find parts.
Steel square-tube framing.

What I don't ,
Curved walls.
Way too many windows (solar gain/loss, and living in a fish bowl at night). I end up covering most windows and even replaced some w/alum.
Crappy insulation.
And for our application, no passenger door or window.

I've also taken ours off-road many times. Mom thinks I'm going to get it stuck, only did that once (deep sand), spent the night and the next morning aired down the dualies, trenched out in front of the wheels, and drove it out.

I do like the cab/chassis rigs, shuttles, box vans, and ambos. But I will sell this one one day and get an ambo which I think has a more useful box.

www.DirtTrackTravelers.com