Hooooo boy.......

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
travelaround said:
Perhaps I shouldn't get a WHITE van after all . . .
You could put a nice disarming sign on it like "Serious Book Worm".

Well, now there are some press reports that he did indeed live in his van.....

Alas, it'll probably be a few days before we get any clear picture. In events like this, 90% of everything we hear is just unsubstantiated and unconfirmed speculation or rumor.

Are you saying ... Fake News? Maybe compounded by too much real-time tweeting.

QinReno said:
Are you saying ... Fake News?  
Nope. I do not subscribe to silly Internet conspiracy theories.
But in any breaking news story, most of what we originally hear is simply wrong. It's in the nature of breaking news stories.

I dropped the news also. I am done with it all. I want out of it all :) and I am doing just that for me. I truly don't even have a clue on this story. I 'heard' thru chat around that some bombing was happening, for me, truly, whatever. I am over and out of all of it. If someone chats me up about XYZ story when out and about, then I say, no I don't have info and they will tell me what is going on out there. Call it willful ignorance as another has mentioned, I call it survival of my personal brain and attitude in my lifetime and how I need to roll thru my journey on this f'upped planet :)

Me too. I'm old and worry will kill you. After high school went directly into the Air Force and into a Titan II missle silo. Worried about the state of the world and what to do about it each and every day for almost seven years. It's some other kid's turn now as my time is getting short.

bullfrog said:
 into a Titan II missle silo

As an aside, the Titan II silo museum near Tucson is one of the favorite places I have visited. I felt odd there: growing up during the Cold War, those silos were some of the most super-secret places on earth, and now tourists wander through them taking pictures with their cellphones. It was surreal.

I used to think I needed to keep at least one ear on what is going on in the world just in case I need to bug out of somewhere for whatever reason. But seriously, people have been living millennia not knowing what's happening 5 miles down the road. Human beings either are annihilated by nutballs or TPTB in their time or they learn to adapt and survive, hopefully to see better days. To always be stewing about or reacting to the latest craziness is no way to live IMO. I'm counting the days until I can check out completely and get some peace from all the world's "noise."

I told my daughter who is 13 that while the global bombardment of every single crazy social media/news from every country/and more is slammed at her on a constant basis, it is best to live your life within a true and balanced reality. A reality where you can make a difference like focusing and helping your local community. Nothing wrong with helping some few small global charities and such one may want, but local community and hands on, truth in action and confirmation of that action is about as much local reality as one can handle. GraceInMotion made a great point, people didn't know what was happening just down the road, which in reality they might need to know if it is their community, but what is happening global most of us can't even pretend to try to correct/handle/whatever any of it. Global crap slammed at one constantly is not a winning hand ever and it taxes your emotions and mind to the ultimate limit. Older I got the more I have to walk away from it all, and now I sure have :) I am living way better than when I worried Bullfrog :), now I don't worry any more like you said LOL

Lenny you and most of the rest of the world"s population have no idea what really happens on this planet. I'm just glad my memory's are only good ones and the rest are buried. Be glad there are still kids that are willing to do what needs to be done to keep the wolves at bay and do what you can for those that are serving in our military today.

MaTaLa said:
My remedy for all that, even if I owned a van, is to not watch the news...which I don't. No news or tv other than movies except I have one college football team that I follow a bit. Used to be a big sports guys, watched anything that involved a ball...no more.

My life is calmer, fewer 'wheels turning', less drama and fear. If anything really big happens I'll know about it soon enough and I ain't worried about something sneaking up and getting me, metaphorically speaking.
I'm with you MaTaLa. Life is calmer without the news!

The news reports about the Florida based Trump supporter and his bombs tells me to remove any political themed bumper stickers lest someone looking for a target comes along.

The news reports about the latest mass shooting of Jewish worshippers tells me to keep any religious affiliations to myself.

So, one lived in a van and one in S&B. No need to be on the lookout for suspicious glances coming my way from those who might think Hate lives in a van.

I watched the news on this and the funny thing is . They said he was some sort of Indian , I don’t remember the tribe but he was also supposed to be a white supremacist . Not to be racial or anything but aren’t they supposed to be white?

A little history for you. The Cherokee tribe were slave holders. This is one of the reasons they were one of the few tribes that were able to keep their lands and properties (slaves) as they were already farming and doing things that were legally accepted by the states they were in. Asa Carter was a pure blood Cherokee and was the Head of the KKK and later more radical branches. He ran against George Wallace in the primary for the governor of Alabama and lost. He then help write George Wallace's speeches and is credited with his most famous "Segreation" speech. His son was head of the Texas KKK. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

It doesn't matter what his genetic makeup may be. The guy is a hateful basterd and a racist, and assuming they got the right man, he desires to go to jail.