honest opinion, could this be the start of an online book?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decodancer

Reaction score
"Just a bath and a blow job today, he doesn't need a haircut" I try hard not to giggle as I take Bentley from his elderly owner. It's not the strangest request I've ever had. " I want him to look just like this picture" is far more common. I look at the Poodle mixed with something staring up at me. His left ear is matted to his cheek. He is missing a huge chunk of hair on his back where his owner no doubt tried to "help" me by removing a large wad of chewing gum he rolled in. The picture on the other hand is of an adorable pup with 3 inches of hair that looks like a stuffed animal. You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. It's an old saying but still rings true. I am not a magician, I'm a dog groomer.

Since I was old enough to understand that people had to work for a living I knew what I was going to be when I grew up. I was going to be an artist. I drew monkeys and horses. Every paper I turned in had doodles around the perimeter of the page. I won school contests, I even got accepted to an art school. So how on earth did I end up covered in dog hair?

I was about 12 years old when I got my first Poodle. I wanted a dog, any dog. My Mother finally agreed with the stipulation that it had to be a small dog and I would have to earn half of the money to pay for it. I mowed lawns for the neighbors. I help my Mom clean the law office where she worked. I raised $25, an enormous amount of money to a kid back in the early 70s. My parents added their share and I started looking for my very own dog. In the paper that week was a litter of Miniature Poodles. I didn't have any preference for the breed at that time but I wasn't waiting another minute to find my new friend. We came home with a wiggly little ball of fluff, complete with registration papers. I named him Bobo and the romance begun.

Kathy's Silver Beaux was his official title. Like most people I thought Poodles were French and had fancy haircuts and did tricks in the circus. Bobo became the local run with the kids, swim in the ditch, happy go lucky mop of grey hair. He snuggled up next to me every night and I told him all my secrets. Life was good but Beaux was dirty. Mom called a dog groomer and a woman showed up in a van with all the tools needed to make my dog look like a champion. I chose the traditional Continental clip with the shaved rear end and pompoms on all four ankles. He looked ridiculous and the neighborhood kids made fun of him. Lesson one, choose a pattern that's flattering to the dog. A dog with short legs and a long body does not look good in a show clip. Lesson two, hair grows back. Your mistakes will correct themselves in six to eight weeks of time. Bobo got a cute little puppy cut on his next grooming and forgave me for his embarrassment.

I spent a few weeks every summer visiting my Grandparents in south Florida. My Grandma and I would walk to the nearby beach almost every day. On the way home we would stop at the local Publix to get food for dinner. In the same plaza was a dog grooming shop. We always stopped by for a visit. I loved seeing the freshly groomed pups with their bows and painted toenails. The place was as messy as my own bedroom and as noisy as a stadium on game day but I loved the chaos. Little did I know that this would become my life.

Hey! Why not. These days it's easy to self publish. If you enjoy it. Why not.

There is so much erotica on Amazon that I wouldn't start with that fun quote as it will repel quite a few readers. I would use it later in the book, but I'd make your first sentence unmistakable about the topic! You can certainly write well enough!

Thanks Love my Dogs, I do see your point. I can come up with a hundred other funny remarks that owners have said. I'd like to target dog lovers as well as wannabee groomers and would hate to lose them on the first sentence.

I think it sounds great and want to read more. Like the writing style. Can't wait to read if you have had any other dog parents (I admit it was more traumatic for me than for my dog) who get all teary eyed when they bring their "child" in for a first time grooming. Great work.

Thanks, Dragonfly and Storm. Yes, there have been more than a few teary eyed clients. I always tried to save a lock of that fuzzy puppy hair for them to ease the shock a bit. I've also had to forcibly remove a few pups from their owners arms because the were so reluctant to let them go. I'll remember to add a few examples of that in the book as I get further along. I've got about 20 pages written and am really enjoying the process.

If you position it as a memoir / dog story, those are both popular categories on Kindles... My books (cozy mysteries so far) sell WAY more Kindles than paperbacks. Lots of people don't even do paperbacks.

Then you could also do a separate how-to on the grooming if you wanted to.

Also, readers love books in series so consider if there is a way to go from the first one to what you are doing now!

Just another taste...then you have to wait for the book.

"He'll be fine I promise" Mommy is holding on to her wiggly pup like it will be the last time she'll ever see him. The dogs eyes are literally bulging from the tight hold. I finally manage to get the baby into my arms knowing full well that the owner has already convinced him that this is something to be feared. A first grooming can be traumatic and an unpleasant experience sets the stage for a lifetime of problems. "Come back in one hour" I tell her, "And don't worry"

I place the fuzzy pup on the table and keep up a constant soothing dialog. "Yes you are the cutest little baby, this is going to be fun" He doesn't look totally convinced so I start off with a gentle brushing before proceeding. "This is Mr. Clipper, he will be your lifelong friend." I continue as I bring the clipper closer to let him get used to the noise. There is no rushing with a puppy. He has no idea what is going on, the whole world is big and scary right now. I tuck him under one arm to trim his feet so he feels more secure. One step at a time until the whole process is over. I choose a few long strands of puppy hair and put it into a plastic baggy along with a card reading. "Mason's first haircut, December 8th 2004".

"Oh my goodness he looks so different!" Say's Mommy as I retrieve her from the parking lot where she has spent the last hour. "Did they hurt you my precious?" "It wasn't so bad was it Mason?" I chime in. "He was a very good boy, I'll look forward to seeing him again". The owner, not so much.

Dogs generally behave better when the owner is not around. Just the sound of a familiar voice from another room and the tail starts wagging, the head is straining to see where you are and it's just about impossible to finish the haircut. I would say that at least the great majority of groomers got into this field because we love dogs. We want to make them look better, not harm them. Nobody would ever rush into the operating room to check on a family member while the surgeon was working. Granted this is not a life or death situation but wiggly dog and freshly sharpened scissors do not go well together. Just a few more minutes please.

You write well... but I am no fan of the present tense for a whole book. OK for the last paragraph but in my mind, not the first ones.