Honda Odyssey

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neal

Reaction score
My friend works for a wrecker service and he's a mechanic. He has a 2003 Honda Odyssey that has 189,000 miles. He just replaced  the transmission with a rebuilt one, and right now he's replacing the timing belt and water pump. He's going to list it for $1900.00 but he said he'd sell it to me for $1500.00. and I think I can get him down to $1200.00. I think it's a good deal but I'd like to hear what you what you guys with experience think. Thanks.

Not sure what your price range is but I always prefer finding one or two owner vehicles where I know most of the history and the usage hasn't been excessive and low mileage. Of course they're harder to find but out there.

The only Honda I own I had over 350,000 miles on it when I sold and was NOT meticulous about maintenance like I am now. It still ran like a sewing machine and didn't smoke a lick. 1996 Accord 4 cyl manual.

Grab it, especially if he'll be around to keep helping you with further repairs.

Ideally teaching you to do as much as possible yourself.

Sounds like all the major normal maintenance problems have been resolved and as long as it meets your needs go for it.

Try to borrow it for a least a 40 mile or so round trip before you buy it. Getting the right vehicle is not just about price. It is also about how comfortable it is for you when using it for a longer road trip. The seat has to fit you just right, you have to be able to see the traffic and pedestrians around you. We all have different bodies and some cars just don't fit good.

My first van was built in a junk yard all out of used parts a 1964 ford 144 cubic inch 6 cylinder three on the tree. I ran great for a year and I decieded to check out a tapping valve noise. When I pulled the valve cover there was so much build up it looked like the valve cover was still on!

maki2 said:
Try to borrow it for a least a 40  mile or so round trip before you buy it. Getting the right vehicle is not just about price. It is also about how comfortable it is for you when using it for a longer road trip. The seat has to fit you just right, you have to be able to see the traffic and pedestrians around you. We all have different bodies and some cars just don't fit good.

Neal, I second this.  Good idea.  If you can try it out for a good bit and truly see it is a good fit for you....then yea I would consider it a great deal actually.  But driving it is the way to know.

bullfrog said:
...When I pulled the valve cover there was so much build up it looked like the valve cover was still on!

This reminds me of an old article in Car & Driver. The author wrote about his buddies forming what they called the $50 Car Club. This was back when new cars cost about $2,000. The idea of the club was to get the best car they could for $50 or less, see how long long they could drive it, then get another $50 car. The only rule was that you couldn't do any repairs except for the brakes. The author found a Fiat that was in great shape compared to his past $50 cars, and it was fun to drive, but it really needed the valves adjusted. That would be a violation of the club rules, but no one would know. When he removed the valve cover it was like your Ford. He figured all the crud was the only thing holding the valve train together, so he just closed the engine up and drove it for a few months until someone smashed into the it when it was parked.

Funny I did the same thing except the paint a baby blue with fancy dodge wheels looked so good and having a bed in the back in a college town some fool got me drunk and traded me a 1968 Camero roller for it.

John61CT said:
Grab it, especially if he'll be around to keep helping you with further repairs.

Ideally teaching you to do as much as possible yourself.

I think I'm going to get it. The price is right and I won't have to worry about making holes in the roof for a fan or solar. I have until May 1st when my lease is up so I'll have plenty of time to do my build.

bullfrog said:
My first van was built in a junk yard all out of used parts a 1964 ford 144 cubic inch 6 cylinder three on the tree. I ran great for a year and I decieded to check out a tapping valve noise.  When I pulled the valve cover there was so much build up it looked like the valve cover was still on!
I've had cars like that in my youth!

This Odysseys are the cheapest way for travelling, you only can fit a double matress at the back but on petrol are not that bad. Good luck!

Honda Odyssey was an early ATV, 250cc and 350cc single seater with roll cage. There is still a market for the Odyssey. I was checking it out last week. Back in 1992 I was looking at a neighbor's to buy, but it ran poorly.
Funny that Honda* reused the name for a minivan. Never made that connection until just now seeing this thread.

*I know that Honda motorcycles is different than Honda automotive.

Latest posts