Honda generator won't start

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could be a faulty oil switch or off/on switch. You could look on YouTube on how to check those. It's pretty easy or like someone suggested take it to a shop. Highdesertranger

A faulty oil switch will ground out the spark.... unplug the switch and see if it will start.

Well if no spark at all something is disabling the ignition system, or the system has failed. I don’t know Honda systems well enough to tell you where the suspected parts are but there has to be a low oil switch or sensor, a kill switch or the wiring being broken or shorted that goes to them which would disable the ignition system and prevent it from sparking the plug assuming the ignition system components are good. One thing for sure no spark will cause the spark plug to get wet with gas and no spark means it won’t run. Time to hit the YouTube videos and see how to locate components and troubleshoot Honda generators. No spark is a pretty common problem there should be several videos.

Alright, thanks!! :) Will start digging where suggested.

Short update. I did finally find a honda repair mechanic. He says there isn't anything wrong other than it is old.
It does start but only after five or six pulls and in eco mode, throttled down.  I have upgraded to using premium gas as I can't get it to start on medium grade.

Again, thanks for everyone that chimed in on this problem. *cheers*

Premium gas is only advisable if your generator is running hot due to high compression, timing problems or excess carbon build up.
Using premium gasoline in your generator will most likely result in the premature build up of carbon deposits and actually make it harder to start. Premium means higher octane. An anti-knock / pre-igniion prevention measure.
Try to use Regular Ethanol free gasoline in your generators if possible and forgo the Premium.

Until you add Stabil Marine 360 Blue to the gasoline (not Stabil Red), you will continue to have problems from storage.
Stabil Marine 360 has a unique additive that coats and protects the surfaces of fuel related components and it is superb.
It is widely used by marine mechanics and boat owners for a good reason.
It stops oxidant related damage from moisture in it's tracks.
Obviously, the carburetor and fuel system must be in good working order before you add it.

You may get a lot of comments saying otherwise, but they probably do not have 50 years of engine building experience and the extensive background in motorcycle maintenance I have.

You can take this advice to the bank.

Get it. Use it.

Well if the Honda tech it is hard starting because it's old it probably has very low compression.

Did they do a compression check?
What was it?
Is the pull cord easy to pull?

Highdesertranger

I have this particular generator.  Mine runs like factory new. It is 12 years old

The cord has always been easy to pull.
Low compression engine.  8.5:1

The engines in these models are of very high quality and require considerable age, use or abuse to damage.

Sorry for the delay. I did get a text back from the repair guy and he said he didn't do a compression check.
Pull cord is so-so since it is paracord. I plan to replace it with a real pull cord when able.
Gen runs a tad rough sounding. I've switched over to medium grade gas and it does actually start with that grade now. Weird.

Just a heads up alert on the Honda generators, they do not perform well at higher altitudes unless you change out the carburetor jet to one rated for high altutude. I had a local shop in Flagstaff order that part in for me. It is not at all difficult to swap it out. That is good because this next winter season I will be returning to Southern AZ again and have to switch back to the other one that I removed. It would quickly get expensive if I had to pay a shop for the labor.