Homemade Solar Oven

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheryl

Reaction score
We &nbsp;made our own solar oven from an old tire, glass top, aluminum foil and small&nbsp;satellite&nbsp;dish. It turned out well and works great! Just like a slow cooker! You can see how we made it <strong><span style="text-decoration: underline;"><em><a href="http://providence-acres.blogspot.ca/2012/07/our-diy-solar-oven_16.html" rel="nofollow">HERE</a></em></span></strong>.&nbsp;<br><br>Its a link to the post on my blog. If you guys think the blog links are too much, just let me know and I will copy/paste the info. This is just easier and gives you all the pictures.<br><br>We love the solar oven! It requires a flat black pot inside but you can paint something with flat black bbq paint that will work. I have read of someone painting glass jars with lids to cook several small amounts at once in a solar oven but have not tried it.&nbsp;<br><br>You don't need to use wood pieces under the foil. That's just to keep the foil safe with&nbsp;continuous&nbsp;travel and use and you don't need the tire anchored on a piece of wood.<br><br>We rotate the satellite dish to face the sun, moving it every few hours.<br>Remember, it's only a slow cooker, not an oven. A pot full takes time to cook, however, we cooked spaghetti noodles in about 45 mins.&nbsp;<br><br>

Great innovation you have there! I certainly would try it out for myself. Planning on prototypes that are smaller and with different materials each so that I could compare which would yield the highest heat in any weather. Thanks!

You are very welcome. Please let us know how it turns out!

Great design! Thanks for sharing HuggZ