Homemade 12v generator

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is pretty cool. He spent $25 for a returned pressure washer that had a bad waterpump and $20 for a used alternator. Maybe another $10 in misc. parts, so $55.&nbsp; Fun to tinker and learn with. Probably good for a survival situation. But not worth it when you can buy a brand new 800W generator for about $80 with a coupon at Harbor Freight....that's more powerful, efficient, compact and with a full warranty. Only con is the $80 genny is 2 stroke and I think the pressure washer is a 4 stroke motor.<br><br><br>

The guy in the article was pretty specific, he WANTED a 12 v generator. I remember reading on this forum or another similar one that someone traveled with a similar homemade 12v genie. Though I don't own one, I have not heard good things about the 800w AC 2 cycle generator at HF. Every now and then tractor supply store has a sale on their " champion " or " sportsman " models, 2-3 x as much $ as a HF 800, but 2-3 times more power and 4 stroke ( no separate fuel can for mix). If money were no object, I'd go pure solar just for the quiet factor...
Les

I have this HB 800w gen for $80 and it runs great. Very loud, like a lawnmower....but so do all gennies &amp; this pressure washer up top that aren't $900 Hondas.&nbsp;&nbsp; The reviews on HB's website don't lie, many people love this unit. The YouTube reviews are good too. <br>&nbsp;<br>It's way too loud for camping around people &amp; stealth though. I would use it just to run a small microwave oven or such for a short period of time. Maybe a small A/C unit if you're way out in the woods somewhere. <br><br>This $200-300 4-stroke gennie that's 2-3x more powerful is probably equally loud or louder. Probably made by the same factory in China as the HB's.<br><br><br>

I did a google search this morning- the reviews are mixed, at best. I do not have one, but know several people that do, or did. If you are happy with it, bye all means, enjoy it. I posted the 12v homemade as a useable, neat, cheap alternative. That's all. And yes, my 8000w genny was loud, and so is my pressure washer with a Honda engine. I just saw a 3250w generac at lowe's for $249 that is more my size.

There are interesting articles out using a car alternator for wind generated power as well. free designs available, should one live in a windier clime.

Don't use a generator, don't want one. If I needed AC or a microwave, it might be different.

I have some wind sites bookmarked, and a folder started on Alt energy sources. I was reading http://www.backwoodshome.com/index.html and came across plans for a micro hydro setup that looked relatively portable, kind of like a paddle wheel and an alternator . Usefull when camped near a stream? I will Definatly look into it if I own streamfront property again.
Les

<span id="post_message_1270747819">I did a google search this morning- the reviews are mixed, at best. I do not have one, but know several people that do, or did. If you are happy with it, bye all means, enjoy it. I posted the 12v homemade as a useable, neat, cheap alternative. That's all. And yes, my 8000w genny was loud, and so is my pressure washer with a Honda engine. I just saw a 3250w generac at lowe's for $249 that is more my size.
<br><br>that was a cool article about a homemade generator, no doubt. i really enjoyed it too.&nbsp; you should check out this show called The Colony where they simulate an end of the world situation into a reality type show......they built a bunch of cool stuff with such parts lying around. one was a generator using a car's alternator. <br><br><br></span>