Homelesss Lady at Starbucks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sephson

Reaction score
The power's out in my neighborhood today, so I went to a nearby Starbucks to make use of the wi-fi. There was a homeless lady sitting behind me, carrying on a conversation with herself. Aside from this slight disconnect with reality, she seemed a fairly nice lady. At one point, she asked if I had twenty cents to help her pay for a refill on her coffee. I gave her a dollar and she went and refilled her coffee. A little later, when the order line shrunk, I went and bought a $10 gift card for the lady. She thanked me and I wished her a Merry Christmas. She immediately went and bought herself a sandwich. It was at this point that it occurred that this may have been her only meal today. She thanked me again and went back to her conversation. I doubt I'll ever see her again, but I hope I've made her holiday season at least a little bit better.

You saw her as a person, and that is rare.

I worked in mental health serving the homeless for many years, and I cannot tell you how many times, in moments of lucidity, people have cried while telling me how other people look through them as though they don't exist.. It is heartbreaking.

That was a nice gesture!
We need more unmerited kindness in this world.

Sadly, the homeless are a mixed bag of humanity. Anything from perfectly normal people simply down on their luck, minor emotional disorders, serious mental cases, the unloved and also unloveable..... all found to be both young and old.

Dave

There was an older gent outside of a pub that was fishing in a mud puddle. A nice guy offered to take him in and bought him a pint. So how many did you catch today? said the buyer. Including you that would be 8 said the fisherman.

If nothing else Sephson I bet it will bring you good Karma.

As a person that has at one time been homeless not as I will be here soon but truly homeless, I'd like to say how much it is appreciated when kindness is shown. It was the kindness of others that helped me back on my feet when I was down and out so I'm just repaying the world when I try to help those in need now.

Random acts of kindness are a wonderful thing. Thanks for making someone's day.

I live in the Bay Area of California, we have SO many homeless folks, helping everyone just isn't an option.
I always try to at least acknowledge the person's presence and say "good morning" (or "hello" if it's not morning).
The one exception would be people that appear to be having some sort of mental issue shouting obscenities randomly or fighting an invisible dragon. I usually avoid that situation and just watch quietly from a distance in case the person becomes a danger to themselves or others.
I nearly always have my 3 year old child with me, so not putting him in a dangerous situation is my top priority.

KASibson said:
The one exception would be people that appear to be having some sort of mental issue shouting obscenities randomly or fighting an invisible dragon.  I usually avoid that situation and just watch quietly from a distance in case the person becomes a danger to themselves or others.

I generally try to be a bit more supportive of their narrative. I jump right in and shout obscenities or battle dragons right alongside them...

BradKW said:
I generally try to be a bit more supportive of their narrative. I jump right in and shout obscenities or battle dragons right alongside them...

Glad I won't be the only one doing it at the RTR.

In all serious that was a great thing you did.  Sometimes I forget how lucky I was to grow up the way I did and be able to live like this by choice.

BradKW said:

They need all the help they can get.

"There but for the grace of God, go I." Many times I have been one step away from being homeless. Now, technically, I am planning on going "homeless" as most view living (buying the van, selling the house.)

There's a song "Don't laugh at me" that PP&M sang... one line is "I'm the beggar on the corner
You've passed me on the street
And I wouldn't be out here beggin'
If I had enough to eat
And don't think I don't notice
That our eyes never meet"

I give money to every beggar I can. I also give them a card to help them find God. Lord knows I couldn't be living if it weren't for Him getting me through life! My view is that God expects me to help others. What they do with that money is their business before God. Anytime I give anything to anyone, I consider it gone and not expect repayment, regardless of what or to whom. IMO it's all God's anyway, I just have power of attorney. :D

BradKW said:

I would be more inclined to do that if I didn't have my toddler with me.
Also, a lot of people here are on Meth or other drugs that impair their control and skew their reality.

I keep a couple of protein bars with me to offer. Not much, but I think a good balance between possible use of cash for drugs/alcohol and real hunger.

Jessie True
Just trying to make it through