Holy &%#$ finding the right &%#$)@* van is challenging!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TucsonAZ

Reaction score
Wow, finding the right van isn't for the faint of heart!  Here's what I'm looking for:

Chevy Express (or GMC Savana) 3500 Extended
6.0L Motor
Under 150,000 miles
Ideally not the sliding side door

Price Range $6,000 or under

I have found a few, missed a nice 2005 with 95,000 on it for $5,800 the other day but otherwise they're all BEAT down, 200K plus, ex-contractor vans that look like trouble waiting to happen.  I find deals on 2500s, I find deals on the standard size, I just haven't found the right match within about 1,000 miles of my house.

I'm wondering from those with more experience where you would most likely be willing to compromise so I could open up my options a little.  I will have a lot of weight in solar and will pull an enclosed trailer from time to time.  

I keep coming back to the Ford E350 but I don't like the idea of the spark plug issues and can't afford a 2009 when they finally resolved that, I also don't like that it'll get worse highway MPG when I'm not towing.  

Thoughts, ideas, opinions?

TucsonAZ said:
Wow, finding the right van isn't for the faint of heart!  Here's what I'm looking for:

Chevy Express (or GMC Savana) 3500 Extended
6.0L Motor
Under 150,000 miles
Ideally not the sliding side door

Price Range $6,000 or under  

Thoughts, ideas, opinions?

I fully commiserate. That's why I'm starting out in this gigantic (free) luxurious beast of a Class A. I just can't find the vehicle I really want!

I would totally do the same thing but I have some chemical sensitivity issues (MCS) which means I'm going with the van to not have all the pressboard, glues, mold, whatever to contend with. That's been the other issue which I didn't mention above, finding one that hasn't had air "fresheners" used in it. That rules out most dealerships as they love to shine all the hoses and spray some toxic strawberry/cherry concoction into the air vents.

TucsonAZ said:
I would totally do the same thing but I have some chemical sensitivity issues (MCS) which means I'm going with the van to not have all the pressboard, glues, mold, whatever to contend with.  That's been the other issue which I didn't mention above, finding one that hasn't had air "fresheners" used in it.  That rules out most dealerships as they love to shine all the hoses and spray some toxic strawberry/cherry concoction into the air vents.

Wow, that's going to really make it tough! Best of luck to you; I fully believe there's one out there with your name on it.

Nana4Twins said:
Wow, that's going to really make it tough!  Best of luck to you; I fully believe there's one out there with your name on it.

Yeah, it doesn't make things easier that's for sure!

I really wish they would cut the "edit post" time down to 15 seconds, it's way tooo long the way it is.  

Good discussion start. Am also looking at vans. Another thread mentioned using carsdirect.com as well as Craig's list for searchers.

Yeah, the good deals don't last long. I was about to go look at a van I spotted last week and it is already gone. I wish you luck in your search.

I've been looking for 2 years. There's only 6 boxes on my priority list to be ticked; a couple of those are negotiable.

I've only come close to buying once.

It took me 4 years to find my Class C. I thought finding a van would be easier.

Can U look for vehicles at nite?

I ve disvovered is if I really want a
vehicle.  I can make an apointment
ASAP . 

If I m too tired to look for vans after
work then thats my fault.

The early bird gets the dream RV

"patience is a virtue possess it if you can seldom in a woman never in a man"
good luck with your search

I've been looking also and have found more listed in local sales papers; Wheels and Deals, Peddler and the local news paper... than I found on line.  Believe it or not some people don't go on line.

I'm checking craigs, adhuntr, eBay, all the sources I can think of to find what I'm looking for. I also have wanted posts up as that's often better, I will also buy at any hour, the one the got away I offered to go that moment but he insisted he wasn't going to sell it the next day anyway and said no to me seeing it that night but I was ready, cash in hand. Oddly, it was actually listed for 24 days at that point. I tend to respond to the older listings and be the first guy to actually make a cash offer.

Cyndi, I'm curious what your 6 boxes are?

I want the GM format, I want the 6.0l so I guess I may have to be flexible on either the 2500/3500 issue or the extended/standard issue. I may also start putting notes on vans I see that fit what I'm looking for, I actually have a lead on one that way right now.

I didn't have nearly the wish list that you have and it took me at least 6 months to find mine.

I simply lucked out... :)

Craigslist is pretty much useless around here, Kijiji is the one that's used as well as AutoTrader. Both have search engines that suck. For one, they lump the mini vans in with the full size vans and there's thousands of the little ones out there.

I think I was on page 14 or 15 of Kijiji one Saturday morning when I found Miss Arabella as she's now known!

It wasn't until I was talking to the seller that I realized that all the dealers tend to list their vehicles on Friday near closing time. The seller had put her ad up on her lunch hour and it had been pushed way down the line until it landed so far back that very few go there.

I agree that most of the full size vans have been beat to death. Unfortunately for the past 20 years full size vans have mostly been used by commercial enterprises rather than as personal transportation. That alone makes the search more difficult.

Have faith and patience!! Oh and diligence helps too... :D

The Chevy/GM extended wheelbase has some definite advantages, like better stability, and a somewhat better inner structure when putting in insulation and paneling. But my experience all my life has been the Ford vans, so that is what I went with. I like Ford's extended rear body as far as having better setup for a rear bathroom/shower area. More length between rear wheel wells and rear wall/doors. I am also more experienced with Ford motors and running gear. But these are just personal preferences.
I also notice a certain year range of Chevy/GM vans have very serious issues with peeling paint on hood, forward roof, front fenders, etc. The white seems to do this most especially. I do not see this with their pickup trucks.....?
So another thing to be aware of.

I've seen some beautiful deals, but they're always way across the country. Found one last night that was less than $6000, but in Georgia. All the other VanDwellers must be buying them up on the West Coast.

I don't how you guys could wait 6 months to 2 years to find a van. Just seems like a crazy long time to me, but I guess it depends on your current living situation. That said, when all else fails, lower your standards. ;)

One Awesome Inch said:
I don't how you guys could wait 6 months to 2 years to find a van. Just seems like a crazy long time to me, but I guess it depends on your current living situation. That said, when all else fails, lower your standards. ;)

It depends a lot on where you live.

Living in the boonies I expected to and did have to search far and wide for the right van for me. I drove almost 5 hours each way to look at one van and 3 to look at this one. The first one was a piece of crud and it almost had me rethinking what to put on the road.

Lowering ones' standards almost certainly will lead to buyers' remorse. It's like finding a life partner, don't do it!!... :D :D

The van your looking for is $40K new, give or take.

The old van does the same job as a new van for most contractors - so long as it runs. Hence they keep driving them, keep repairing them, as its a tool, not a want. So essentially you need to find someone who is getting out of the business or for whatever reason no longer needs it to find a deal on something decent.

Having had both Ford and Chevy vans recently, I can offer this:

1. The Ford's "ejecting spark plug problem", maddening as it is, is repairable with a threaded insert. My old van blew out 2 plugs (at different times), and I had a mechanic I know do the inserts for me. They did destroy the coil packs on their way out, adding to the repair cost. It sucks when it happens, loud as hell, but it never stranded me. I just had to slow down due to lack of power, put up with the strange looks from other motorists, and putt home. Once repaired, that van ran like a new! I think the Ford vans handle a little better in the turns, if that matters to you. And, they have better initial acceleration. So, you could approach a capable mechanic with the possibility of putting all 8 inserts in your engine at once, saving you $$$ and headaches in the process. I hate the way Ford handled this problem (they didn't), but all in all I would still buy another - just be sure to add this preventative work into the cost of the van. Other than that exception it was a very reliable and tough van.

2. BUT, my 2001 Chevy Express 3500 (standard wheelbase) rides like a Cadillac compared to the Ford. Softer in the turns as well. Only issues it has had in 170,000:
A. Horrible fuel economy ~11 city,  ~14hwy
B. Replaced fuel pump
C. Replaced radiator
D. A few caps and rotors, wipers, tires and brakes as necessary
E. Rear door seal has leaked since day 1. Not a lot, but irritating.
F. It will need a transmission soon, I notice it slipping every blue moon

Like LeeRevell said, I prefer the internal ribbing of the Chevy better, although either make will get the job done. I also like the Chevy engines better overall, just a personal preference. My Chevy is quieter than the Ford.

Oddly enough, I'm looking around the used Ford market because my van is getting pretty rusty, and I like the overhang behind the axle that Ford uses on their extended van. I like a tight turning radius, the ability to drift the overhang past the curb behind me, and the weight distribution. It may have some layout benefits as well, depending on your intended floorplan.

Tough choice.

I bought mine in 2001 just from seeing an Ad in a local paper after 3 weeks of looking. I wanted a Chevy but bought a Dodge.

They all need work, any vehicle bought is going to need work at some point. how much and how expensive are the variables and cannot just be eliminated through want or fickleness. Sure one can buy a beat up lemon tomorrow, but finding that sweet orange instead is obviously preferable.

You know what you want, perhaps you can make offers to those who have not yet listed their Van for sale or considered doing so.
Cash is an excellent motivator even to those who do not want to sell.

My friend recently bought a Specific model and year sprinter sight unseen and had it shipped x country. It has been at the mechanics now for 2 weeks with a bizarre fuel delivery issue that cropped up on day 2.