Hitch Mount

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks WriterMs, I built one up and wasn't too much more than the used Casita. I will call and talk to them Monday.

a note on that trailer with the deck on front. those absolutely must be loaded correctly. to tow them around with an empty deck is scary at best. highdesertranger

I offered the guy with the Casita 10 Canadian Maple Leafs. Whether he takes it or not I actually don't care. Most big box stores have buggies I can use if they work, 50% of the time they don't and I find myself leaning on a cart looking like a bigger dork than I am.

I don't plan on staying in Quartsite too long, and most places would frown on me driving my atv down the Blvd. The thread about electric bikes was very interesting and a possible solution. I've talked to a few LEO's and with my blue hanger thing I can get away with riding in some places regular bikes aren't allowed. My luck would be to meet the one cop who hasn't read the exception or doesn't care.

The quest goes on...Rob

Arizona is perfectly fine with you driving your ATV on the road. of course you are supposed to get a plate for it. highdesertranger

I don't know all your circumstances but is it possible to sell the scooter and get a real light one that you can break down? I've even seen some that fold up to a tiny space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To answer that....Gunny was issued that scooter by the VA. They would frown upon that.

Cammalu, what Phantom Blooper (M-79?) types is correct, but you may have hit on an answer. Some of the small ones are not too expensive and can fit in a trailer if broken down. Thanks for thinking 'outside of the box'.

Rob

highdesertranger said:
Arizona is perfectly fine with you driving your ATV on the road.  of course you are supposed to get a plate for it.  highdesertranger

I have everything required for an Az plate except turn signals. Working on that. AZ does not recognize my Tx OHV plate.

Rob

"Phantom Blooper (M-79?)"

Yes....Grunt 0311/0369 SSGT 1/8-2/8 2/3 73-93 ....PI...CLNC 4 pumps...Quantico...Kaneohe...Beirut.... Retired.....

Back to post....end of derailment.Semper-Fi!

Original MOS was 0846 (a discontinued MOS which sort of dates me). Field Artillery Scout Observer. E 2/11 attached to F 2/5 then to E 2/5. Long ago in a world far away. Semper Fidelis, Rob

Phantom Blooper said:
To answer that....Gunny was issued that scooter by the VA. They would frown upon that.

I don't think that he is prohibited from selling his scooter. It's his and not borrowed. There are so many very small ones that break down into four or five pieces that he could easily stash here and there. Some aren't too expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some trailers can have a hitch receiver mounted to the rear. I wouldn't use it to tow another trailer, but for a bike rack or scooter mount it should be OK.

Cammalu,

Yes you are indeed correct that it is his.

However it was issued by the government....so technically they still have control with it.

If deemed not repairable or cost effective they would issue another one.....maybe a model that breaks down.

If their is nothing wrong with said scooter he cannot get another one....unless his primary puts in an order that for mobility or health reasons he needs a different model....chair....break down et.

If he needs another chair that breaks down for travel he could technically sell his issued chair to pay for a different model but he would be totally responsible for maintenance and repairs unless warranty as an out of pocket expense.

In a former life after retirement I was a part time service officer and I can and will stand by what I said above.
No one from federal investigations would probally knock on his apartment door demanding to know where the said chair is at......but one would have a hard time getting other prosthetics that a needy veteran may need....

Also if the chair was sold at profit.....it would technically again not be right.

Lost in the world said:
Some trailers can have a hitch receiver mounted to the rear. I wouldn't use it to tow another trailer, but for a bike rack or scooter mount it should be OK.

Many of these aren't designed to handle any real weight, just things like bicycle racks.  If you decided one COULD handle the weight, you'd have to be careful that hanging weight that far back doesn't reduce your trailer tongue weight to a dangerous level.  Probably best to invest in a trailer tongue scale like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Reese-5780-T...82245701&sr=8-1&keywords=trailer+tongue+scale

I think the best bet would be a front hitch rack. You can put a plow on a half ton and half ton model professional plow weigh in at 750lbs, not that I recommend plowing with a 1/2 ton, I do know several that have done it for years.

So 300 lbs or so on the front of his truck for a hitch, rack, and scooter for the occasional trip isn't going to hurt his truck in my opinion. So long as the radiator gets enough air and i think it would.

Cammalu, Phantom Blooper is correct. If I sold it noone would really know but me and I would not feel right. I've turned down walkers and such, save them for the guys who can't walk the 50 yards or so I can. A front hitch mount for a small one might work and I can afford to buy a cheap one. Or an electric bike if I can find one within my price range, the Chinese ones are cheap and look it.

Thanks for all the ideas,something will work and I have a month to figure it out.

Rob

WriterMs said:
Gunny,
I don't know if you've looked at any mini toy haulers, but there are some that are only 12 feet long -- the back end is a fold-down loading ramp. Once in camp, you unload your ATV or scooter and enjoy the room of a regular camping trailer.

Here's one company that builds these little ones:

https://dunesport.com/toy-hauler/build/bumper-pull
I've got one call from them and they have 12' in stock. He was hesitant about giving me a price over the phone but swore he would call me tomorrow 28 Dec. and let me know.

Thanks for the tip.

Rob