Hitch Mount

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunny

Reaction score
While trying to figure out how to carry my mobility scooter, ATV and pull a Casita at the same time I came across this little gem.

My scooter and its mount weigh about 275 and the tongue weight of the Casita is 225. The ATV I would carry in the bed of the truck weighs 900 as it sits.

The deal on the Casita is not done yet, I made an offer and he asked to wait until Wednesday to see if he could get his asking price.

Here is the adapter, what do those that have used them think?

multi-purpose-ball-mount.jpg

Attachments

• multi-purpose-ball-mount.jpg
    multi-purpose-ball-mount.jpg
    4.6 KB
Gunny said:
My scooter and its mount weigh about 275 and the tongue weight of the Casita is 225. The ATV I would carry in the bed of the truck weighs 900 as it sits.

That sounds like an awful lot of weight on the tongue and in the back of the truck in general.  What kind of truck are you using to haul this setup?

Haven't hauled it yet, but it's a GMC quarter ton.I would be within limits gross weight, it's the rear suspension I am worried about.. and tires.

Gunny said:
Haven't hauled it yet, but it's a GMC quarter ton.I would be within limits gross weight, it's the rear suspension I am worried about.. and tires.

"quarter ton"?  Is that like a "little truck"?  I've heard of 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, and 1-ton pickups, but never a "quarter ton".

I'd not only be worried about the rear suspension, but also your hitch.  Just because a hitch says it can handle 500 pounds doesn't mean you actually want to put 500 pounds on it.  It's nice to have some "breathing room" in the tolerances.

sorry, half ton, my mind was elsewhere.

Gunny said:
sorry, half ton, my mind was elsewhere.

Ah, ok.

In my math, I think you'd be safer leaving out one of the three items.  Either the ATV, scooter, or Casita will have to go.  Just pick one.

Or, get a slightly bigger truck.

Or, maybe airbag suspension and some heavy duty rear tires?

Any chance the scooter can hop up inside the Casita while you're on the road?

No on the scooter, it's one of those big clumsy things. Suspension and tires would be a given... Don't need the scooter unless I plan on walking more than 50 yards, then the hip flames out. I tend to agree with you about a bigger truck but I just bought this damn thing a few months ago. Ah well, gives me something new to ponder. Thanks for the replies.

Rob

The trailer has brakes but I know they are not a big help in a panic stop. I'm too poor for Brembo's so maybe the scooter gets left out. Or the guy with the trailer gets his asking price, making all my plans unnecessary.

Rob

Gunny, as far as I know, adapters like the one shown in the picture are designed to take accessories like bicycle racks and such, not really heavy stuff.

Gunny, if the Casita doesn't work out maybe you can find one of these. Made by Forest river. Real handy and a nice deck or porch when you land.

Gunny, you didn't say what year and model truck you have, but there may well be a front trailer hitch available for it, which would allow you to carry the mobility scooter up front.  I don't think it would block the air flow to the radiator TOO much.  Check on Etrailer.com.

Likewise, there may be front air bags or other options - Timbren, maybe - to beef up the front end to handle the extra weight.

Do you happen to know if there was a diesel engine option for your year and model?  Diesels weigh so much more than gas engines that they usually have different, heavier front springs.  Might be possible to replace your gas engine front springs with diesel springs to handle the extra weight.

Just some random thoughts . . .

o3dave said:
Gunny, if the Casita doesn't work out maybe you can find one of these. Made by Forest river. Real handy and a nice deck or porch when you land.

Not a bad thought.  If money is really tight, I've seen people who've mounted truck campers on flatbed trailers, which usually leaves enough room to carry an ATV as well.  Redneck Engineering at it's best!

03 Dave and John, thanks I had never seen that trailer. I had pretty much decided to just use my tent.

Without going into the morbid details, I am on a bit of a time limit. 

Here's my truck, or at least part of it and the scooter hitch carrier. 

Thanks to all for the ideas. May be time to cash in some commodities and go for it.

Travel safe and Thanks, Rob

This is the old truck  with the same carrier, My photography skills are lacking.

IMG_20150819_130324009.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150819_130324009.jpg
    IMG_20150819_130324009.jpg
    230.7 KB
Dang, that looks a lot like the power "chair" that they modified on the show Street Outlaws.  I think they had it over 60 mph!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

B and C THAT actually made me laugh. It will do 9 MPH with no shocks and hard wheels. I hit a speed bump in the parking lot one night and ejected.

Gunny said:
B and C THAT actually made me laugh. It will do 9 MPH with no shocks and hard wheels. I hit a speed bump in the parking lot one night and ejected.

Perhaps I should not give you ideas.

107 mph scooter.

Perhaps I should not give you ideas.

I could clear the aisles at the grocery store in a hurry.

9 seems slow tho I did have a cop stop me one night and fuss because I was not on a sidewalk. After I explained there was no sidewalk he told me I could get a ticket for impeding traffic. It's 3 am on a backstreet near an industrial area and no other cars (and I guess no other crime) except his. And my scooter. He did allow me to go to Waffle House for my breakfast.

Thanks for the laugh.

Seriously, At RTR it is desert, and has a lot of rocks.  I doubt if a scooter would work well there. I had trouble walking in the dark   Now the ATV would be the ticket.  Most meetings are around the firepit, and you can ride up and park in the middle of things. Or you can strap a folding chair to the back, and carry it 10 feet.  If you need a hand, nobody thinks twice about giving one.   

We are all in this together.