High winds.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanC

Reaction score
I left Columbus, New Mexico yesterday morning, headed for Balmoreah Lake, in Texas.  Made it just past El Paso when the wind picked up big time.  The first real dust storm I've been in.  It was amazing how quickly visibility turned to near zero, plus my little trailer was being thrown around like a cork at sea. Truck Stops are my least favorite places to sleep, but I was sure grateful for the Petro.  This morning, the wind had died down so I hit the road again, only to be smacked around by a new wave of 60 mph gusts.  Made it 12 miles to a rest area. Dang, it's brutal out there.  As much as the trailer is being rocked I can't imagine what it's like on the road, so here I sit.  No big deal - I did some cleaning to get rid of the dust that made it's way into the trailer and coated everything inside, made another pot of coffee and thanks to my new unlimited data plan I'm going to spend the day watching archeology videos.  Life is good.

I hope the guys who were tent camping in the park I just left are ok. Tent campers are definitely a hardy breed.

IanC said:
I left Columbus, New Mexico yesterday morning, headed for Balmoreah Lake, in Texas.  Made it just past El Paso when the wind picked up big time.  The first real dust storm I've been in.  It was amazing how quickly visibility turned to near zero, plus my little trailer was being thrown around like a cork at sea. Truck Stops are my least favorite places to sleep, but I was sure grateful for the Petro.  This morning, the wind had died down so I hit the road again, only to be smacked around by a new wave of 60 mph gusts.  Made it 12 miles to a rest area. Dang, it's brutal out there.  As much as the trailer is being rocked I can't imagine what it's like on the road, so here I sit.  No big deal - I did some cleaning to get rid of the dust that made it's way into the trailer and coated everything inside, made another pot of coffee and thanks to my new unlimited data plan I'm going to spend the day watching archeology videos.  Life is good.

I hope the guys who were tent camping in the park I just left are ok. Tent campers are definitely a hardy breed.

Yeah, trailers are no fun in high wind. 

I'll be switching to the new Verizon plan when I hit the road also...just makes sense and it will actually be cheaper than what I'm currently paying for cell service and land-based internet service. How do you like it so far?

DuneElliot said:
I'll be switching to the new Verizon plan when I hit the road also...just makes sense and it will actually be cheaper than what I'm currently paying for cell service and land-based internet service. How do you like it so far?

No complaints at all and it's $5 cheaper than my 8GB plan. Since my phone bill is the only bill (apart from insurance) I have left, it's well worth it to me.

I thought the winds coming out of Colorado were bad and they were pushing the Expedition and 25 ft trailer around pretty good. The winds coming through New Mexico had me slowing down to 45 MPH to keep things under control.

Last month returning home from CA on I-10 and then I-20, I left Deming NM in the morning in 40mph winds with 60mph gusts. I was having difficulty keeping my van in its lane at 40mph... when I saw 18 wheelers going as slow as I was, and being moved by the wind, I decided it was time to get off the road. I holed up in El Paso the rest of the day. The next day was windy, but nothing like that.

The weather is getting crazy.

I am familiar with those nice breezes across I-10 and I-20. After my stunt driving in California I was a bit skittish about trailer sway. About the third time a 30 or 40 mph wind hit me I found a rest area and camped out.

Rob

The high winds and high profile vehicles do cause a certain amount of pucker factor. Are you heading on east after Balmorhea or going to visit the area some? If you haven't been to Fort Davis its a nice short drive south with some nice scenery. About a seventy mile scenic loop and UT McDonald Observatory is there. Nice state park also.

30-40mph winds? Ha, that's classed as a nice breeze here in Wyoming

0hzhU.jpg

Dennis said:
The high winds and high profile vehicles do cause a certain amount of pucker factor.   Are you heading on east after Balmorhea or going to visit the area some?  If you haven't been to Fort Davis its a nice short drive south with some nice scenery.  About a seventy mile scenic loop and UT McDonald Observatory is there. Nice state park also.

On my way West, I did stop in Fort Davis - a very cool town.  I'm going to be going up I 20.  Sweetwater Lake looks like a good next stop after Balmorhea and then I was thinking of Granbury Lake, south of Fort Worth, after that.  I'm very open to suggestions if you know of any cheap or free spots. Any ideas would be much appreciated. I'm mainly interested in treed/forested areas on water.  After Texas I'll be checking out Arkansas.

By the way, speaking of high winds, they'll be expecting tornado watches all the way from Illinois to the Gulf coast in the next week or so.  So, I'll be watching that closely

I'm not much help on free or cheap camping in Texas. In northern section anyway, on your route. If you have a Texas Travel Guide you can get some good ideas. Some pretty nice state parks on the way but all about the same cost. Down farther south has cheaper options. There is Caddo Natl. Grasslands with a couple small lakes that are wooded campsites but that is in the Honey Grove area about 40-45 miles north of I-30 north from Greenville area. A little bit remote although there are local fishermen. Not sure the cost as it has been a long time since I camped there. No controlled entrances.

Cooper Lake State Park north of Sulphur Springs or Lake Bob Sandlin south of I-30 Daingerfield State Park a little farther east and south is a nice park and about 20 miles south of I-30. All east Texas pine and hardwoods.

I just checked freecampsites.net and there are several free choices along the i20 corridor up to and around DFW. I didn't look at each one but that site has been a godsend for us in our travels.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

I was going to head to Balmoreah yesterday but decided to stay holed up in Deming NM for another couple of days to watch the weather. Nothing like fighting these winds to make time and catch up with the tornado activity. Ugh. Safe travels.

DuneElliot said:
30-40mph winds? Ha, that's classed as a nice breeze here in Wyoming
Love that Wyoming wind sock! And just as reliable as an Indian weather rock. :p

NaturePhreak said:
I was going to head to Balmoreah yesterday but decided to stay holed up in Deming NM for another couple of days to watch the weather.  Nothing like fighting these winds to make time and catch up with the tornado activity.  Ugh.  Safe travels.

Well, I holed up at the rest area and left at first light. Nice calm and windless drive.  As far as Balmohrea goes, I hope you were thinking about the Balmorhea State Park and not Balmohrea Lake (where I'm at).  This place is pretty bleak and depressed.  I paid for three days but didn't even unhook the trailer. If you are coming to Balmorhea Lake, I'm parked close to the little store, stop by and say hi (grey utility trailer)

Sabatical said:
I just checked freecampsites.net and there are several free choices along the i20 corridor up to and around DFW. I didn't look at each one but that site has been a godsend for us in our travels.

You're right.  I wonder how people found all the BLMs, etc before freecampsites. You'd have to have a library full of guide books. It's a treasure for travelers for sure.

BLM was around for a long time before free campsites. basically all of Nevada is a free campsite, so is Oregon east of the Cascades, as is southern Idaho, western Utah. and much of Arizona, with large parcels of BLM or Forest Service in New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana. and California. what I am trying to say is out west it's really not a problem finding a free campsite. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
BLM was around for a long time before free campsites. basically all of Nevada is a free campsite, so is Oregon east of the Cascades, as is southern Idaho, western Utah. and much of Arizona, with large parcels of BLM or Forest Service in New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana. and California. what I am trying to say is out west it's really not a problem finding a free campsite. highdesertranger
Very true. Where it gets difficult is travelling just about anywhere east of those states.