High top or pop-up top?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Empower

Reaction score
Hello,
I’m a new member and am happy to be among you. I just bought a GMC Savana that I’m converting. I have checked the forum about the pros and cons of high tops vs pop-tops but have not seen any discussion on this particular issue. So I would like to know what community members think. My current reasoning is the following: the major pro of a high top is the permanent headroom you get (plus extra storage space) but I can think of a few cons: it likely reduces gas mileage (given increased air resistance), it may make the van unwieldy in high wind situations and it’s less stealthy. OTOH the major advantage of the pop-top is that you have headroom when you need it (when you’re stopped). However, because a pop-top has canvas all around, insulation is a problem, especially for cooler climes (although you can add an insulation package). So, what do you think? Am I missing anything? 
Empower

Welcome Empower to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. also with the pop tops, they are very noisy in wind just like a tent. they also leak a lot easier then a hard top. highdesertranger

I haven't come across aftermarket pop-tops, would be great if available.

There are mid-height hi-tops you can get too. That way you get more headroom, but not necessarily have to suffer "Barn Door Aerodynamics".

Didn't Bob Wells get a shorter hi-top for his latest van?

Short of a Mercedes Sprinter with the highest top available, there aren't a lot of vans that will accommodate my 6' 5" body, so I don't bother trying to find one that will. I just get what works best and offers the best tradeoffs.

I like the idea of a pop-top, but worry that the canvas would require regular maintenance to keep it in good shape to reduce the chance of rips, stains and mold developing.

I view it kinda like a bed, I don't want to unfold and make my bed every night, so I have a permanent bed.
I don't want to "pop" the top every night or so, I have a permanent hightop.

Yea it will be a trade off for MPG vs comfort (comfort in having to pop the top all the time)

I guess there is another thing you should consider - where/when do you plan to camp? Are you going to be summer only? Desert only? Or are you thinking of some possible winter camping in sub-freezing temps? That pop top canvas will not hold any warmth in (good during summer, very bad during colder months).

Sportsmobile got its start doing pop-ups for VW, as I recall not too many years ago the cost was $1,600.

Bob Wells has a video about getting a high top installed on his Chevy Express van. If you get a substandard installation, it'll leak.

If your main goal is stealth, urban, parking lots etc, you probably want a regular factory or fiberglass high top.

If you want to go camping, actual camping for days at a stretch, then a pop-top might work for you.

Having replaced my pop-up with a high top van, I can tell you that whatever concerns you have about mileage or wind pale in comparison to the convenience of not having to pop up a top to walk around/sleep. It's night and day and ever so much more pleasant with a high top.

Check out coloradocampervan.com. Excellent quality. I had one for two years and worked great. Moved on to a truck camper. Let me know if you need more info.

I love the idea of a pop-top but leaks and rips or mice damage to the canvas make me fearful I would lean towards a fixed high top

I have both, the pop top is in a dodge caravan excellent mileage bought it for a particular long trip we did instead of using the Kurbmaster stepvan, what we saved on fuel paid for it, We lucked out with it being in great condition for a 1993 the plan was to sell it at the end of the trip but that was 4 summers ago I still have it. The canvas is in perfect condition after all those years no mould or any issues with mechanism. It raises to 83 inches. Sleeps 4 has fridge and stove and pretty good storage. It is a much stealthier vehicle as it does not stand out in a row of parked cars at first glance.Drives like a car. However if living full time the high top is a no brainer for me unless I was having to live very stealthily like in a city somewhere, even then I still think for comfort being able to stand up without having to raise the roof which is not that hard but still a hassle, the other thing you feel a lot more secure in the high top much warmer and more storage. Having said that I slept in the pop top in the snow and I was fine I just didn’t raise the roof. If you intend on moving a lot or living in van occasionally the pop top is perfect. A couple of companies I know that install pop tops are GTRV in California and Safari Condo in Montreal.

I like solid walls for many reasons. Canvas walls only keep out prying eyes. Cold, noise, moisture, bears, and people can all get through canvas easily.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

flying kurbmaster said:
couple of companies I know that install pop tops are GTRV in California and Safari Condo in Montreal.
excellent, thanks!

Anybody know more out there?

Or where to get the hardware for DIY?

The hardware is out there as welll, I have found it on Australian caravan supply sites, by caravan I mean travel trailers, that is what they call them over there. I found the spring loaded ones that used to be available for the Westfalias that had the roofs that went straight up as well as the hardware for the more modern version that hinges up either from the front or rear, I am sure they can be found elsewhere certainly available in England. It might take a bit of looking. I made a pop top for another one of my vans but put the project on hold due some compliance rules that worried me in the area that the van is registered in, but might get back to it soon.

Empower said:
Hello,
I’m a new member and am happy to be among you. I just bought a GMC Savana that I’m converting. I have checked the forum about the pros and cons of high tops vs pop-tops but have not seen any discussion on this particular issue. So I would like to know what community members think. My current reasoning is the following: the major pro of a high top is the permanent headroom you get (plus extra storage space) but I can think of a few cons: it likely reduces gas mileage (given increased air resistance), it may make the van unwieldy in high wind situations and it’s less stealthy. OTOH the major advantage of the pop-top is that you have headroom when you need it (when you’re stopped). However, because a pop-top has canvas all around, insulation is a problem, especially for cooler climes (although you can add an insulation package). So, what do you think? Am I missing anything? 
Empower

I bought a low top conversion van and later found out they no longer make them due to the high roll over death rate when full of passengers. There are stabilizers you can purchase to  make weight distribution and driving control improved. For mine it is this one and I won't feel safe with anything on the roof or back without it. I am a 58 y/o woman and I know I can easily install this but it is very pricey. there should be something for your make and model if your concerned about control like I am. I think a high top is a more comfortable living condition but everyone's life is different. ROADMASTER ACTIVE SUSPENSION #3611-Y FITS: 2011-2012 FORD F-150 # MK3-XXY https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007PTMXX...4HFFXVBBPRU&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it[/SIZE]

For full time​, a hard top is the only way to go. Unless you're a Hobbit. :)