Higher High Top

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Todo

Reaction score
Hey all, been awhile since I've visited the site. Still have my van, and plans to convert it, however, last couple days I've had a some new crazy ideas for it that'll pretty much blow stealthy out of the water.
So, one of the things, which actually I've had this notion for some time now, is unbolting my high top (conversion van) and lifting it, with 2x4s I'm thinking and reattaching. I'd like to use metal or composite over wood and am looking. Aluminum C channel is going to be way too pricey. Ideally composite would be the way to go being i could mold it to the curve side to side and in the front down to the windshield but I'm not turning up anything searching.

Was hoping someone here has experience in installing/removing fiberglass high tops could give me some insight or thoughts on such a thing.
An extra 3-4" headroom would be amazing all around, especially in the front and rear "shelf" areas for storage, not to mention the ole noggin.

I thought about mounting a row boat upside down and cutting a hole just in the center of the roof giving me two great storage areas, (one in the front, one in the back, with stand up room in the middle. It would just look like I was a person who liked to fish.
filling my roof with solar panels killed the project.