High top or not?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Auto360 said:
More of my thoughts...

In the future I will most likely lift my van as I really like going out in the boonies. I may do the 4wd conversion but haven't yet decided if I can justify the cost. I really like the idea of doing a full roof rack with solar, Yakima box and kayak storage. If I did a high top on mine plus a rack it would be crazy tall...I have seen that set up on Sportsmobiles and I think it might just be too high for my taste. Not really because of top heavy....more for clearance issues.
And then...the cost. Yes, I could do it myself, and I am definitely a do-your-selfer but that would be quite the project.  There is company called fiberine in California that does custom high tops. Looks like they do some really nice stuff. But for a top that I can stand up in it's over $4000 installed. I paid $6500 for the van so im not sure I want to spend that much on something that I'm very happy with. 
Then...I figured if I need to stand that bad, I might as well spend $4-5000 on a small toy hauler if I was planning on doing long term. 
Keep in mind this just my thoughts. For some a high top is perfect. It's interesting how everything we want/need has some type of trade off. When working with a small, finite space that also goes 70mph it all gets a bit tricky!

I did a 4wd conversion to a van. It was a pain in the neck, and in the end, (Perhaps because I went from 1/2 ton to 1-ton) there is so little articulation in the suspension the van can't do much off road. It's only really good for mud/water crossings/looking cool.

What did I learn? If your gonna do a 4wd conversion to a van, do it to a Ford Econoline.

JJPDX said:
Question: if one adds a 20" high top to a Chevy Express Ext., can a Ladder Rack be attached to the original van roof, maybe on the rails, with extenders high enough to support a rack just above the added roof top?  Then solar panels could be bolted to the rack, with less long-term effect on the Fiberglass roof.  Possible, crazy?

Thank you, jj

I'd probably get the thin solar panels.  I've seen others that have used them and they use the industrial strength Velcro strips to secure them to the rooftop.  However, I think I read/heard somewhere that the thin solar panels don't last as long as the regular, boxy ones and they're more expensive as well.

Spent 3 months living in my regular van. No high-top. Just fine for us. When you have a kayak on top getting it on and off is easier with a regular van.

Solar panels on a fiberglass hightop.

Saw a guy put nice, long bolts through the factory carpeting of the roof to secure his regular, boxy solar panels. I would also glue the mounting brackets that comes with it, to the roof. So no need to get the more expensive, thin ones that doesn't last as long.

Radar said:
Hey folks, I've come to the conclusion that one of the 'issues' that is stopping me from moving forward is the indecision about whether to purchase a high top van or go with a standard van (then if I wanted to put a high top on it later I could).  This all effects how I would incorporate solar as well.  So, I'm stumped and stuck.  Would love to have some ideas on this issue.  Thanks so much.

If at all possible, get something you can stand up in. Being rained in for a couple days in something the size of a van  is claustrophobis enough without having to spend all your time crouched over.

I have a Ford 2007 E-150 standard roof, and I tell ya, after having owned an old Dodge B-250 std length with full high top and cab over space I miss that BIG TIME!
I just can't begin to tell you how large that dodge felt and I'm 6'1", really comfortable to stand in.  

there were small cabinets at the rear and then the area from the back of the seats forward was open and usable storage space. Large enough for three large plastic bins and more.
I doubt anytime soon I'll be in a position to replace my van, but I am beginning to consider the cost of adding a high top to it. My last investigation looked like about a $4K investment, maybe a little less.

Certainly along with the added height is the concern with low hanging objects, additional wind pushing the van around etc. But I swear  those trade offs are well worth it.