High top or not?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radar

Reaction score
Hey folks, I've come to the conclusion that one of the 'issues' that is stopping me from moving forward is the indecision about whether to purchase a high top van or go with a standard van (then if I wanted to put a high top on it later I could).  This all effects how I would incorporate solar as well.  So, I'm stumped and stuck.  Would love to have some ideas on this issue.  Thanks so much.

speedhighway46 said:
Consider a box van.

Not great for gas mileage or city parking, is my thought on a box van.  I was  just looking at the cost of putting a high top on a van - kind of pricey!

Whether and how soon you go with a mid-top or high-top depends on how well you deal with the standard van inside height, and how much you need stand-up height.
I get by with my mid-top, and not having standing height, though I am tall.
Eventually I will upgrade to a full high-top. Since I don't live in it, it's not a huge issue. Stealth is also not an issue for me.

Putting framed solar panels on a conversion van raised fiberglass roof is not really a huge deal. The extra interior space is worth it even if it is not tall enough to stand upright.

Find a mechanically sound van first, IMO.

I have 198 watts on my conversion van roof.

I also think a little headroom is a good thing, even if you can't stand up. My Ford TC has a factory high-top, but being it's a minivan and I'm 6'4", I can't stand up inside. I can however, make the bed taller to increase storage underneath and not hit my head when using the bunk for sitting at the fold-out table on my wall.

I'm also able to kneel on the floor, good for getting dressed and peeing, and not hit my head on the ceiling.

I happened to have a '99 Ford Windstar so the choice was easy, use what is available.  If you find a mechanically sound low cost van you can go ahead and get it and then get going.  If it turns out that you really want higher or lower or longer or shorter you can trade later.  Just don't put a lot of money into whatever you get first.  You may be absolutely certain about some aspect and with experience you might find that something else matters more.  If you have a Ford Festiva, try it.  Look under "other conversions" "How to Live in a Ford Festiva."

I live IN my van full-time so I use the space and the van a little differently than someone who doesn't. It's my home, just because it's on wheels doesn't mean that I should do without.

Even at 5' tall I would absolutely NOT think about not having full standing height in my living quarters. I did it for a while when I was much younger and not ever again. But then again, there's a whole lot of things that I will do without and others that are absolutely essential to me, standing height is just one of them.

I really like being able to stand up in my van. Makes most things easier. My old standard roof van was easier to keep warm/cool tho.

Radar,
Steam likes standing.  Almost won't do without.  Big can kneel.  Lee gets by.  If you know what you need, get that.  If you don't know what you need and are stuck, get something so you can get moving.  

We learn.  Plan on figuring out that your first guess wasn't all that you wanted.  Stern's point, mechanically sound, makes it so that in the future you can sell and then get something that meets the needs that you figure out are important.  You might figure out that you must have 4 wheel drive.  Who knew?

I dunno. maybe flip a coin. lol just kidding. I would want stand up height, but that's me. if you could install the top yourself you don't need to buy a van with a high top on it. they are not super common but the high tops can be found cheap and fairly easy. highdesertranger

Question: if one adds a 20" high top to a Chevy Express Ext., can a Ladder Rack be attached to the original van roof, maybe on the rails, with extenders high enough to support a rack just above the added roof top? Then solar panels could be bolted to the rack, with less long-term effect on the Fiberglass roof. Possible, crazy?

Thank you, jj

Hypothetically speaking, if every van dweller could blink their eyes and make the change instantly and for free, I would guess that 50 percent of low- and medium-top van-dwellers would convert to high top, while 10 percent of those with high tops would convert to low- or medium-top.

I've had a low-top Vanagon, a mid-top conversion van with 5'4" interior standing height, and recently bought a high-top Ford E350 with 6'3" interior standing height. For weekend camping the Vanagon was fine. For a few weeks camping, the conversion van height was okay. But now I'm planning multiple-months travel and possibly full-time van living, and wouldn't want to do that in anything other than a full high top. But that's just me. Your needs may vary!

akrvbob said:
Van Tech makes them from the factory up to 23.5 inch extensions:
http://vantech.us/Conversion-Vans_c143.htm
Bob

Anyone have experience with these Thule "Artificial" Rain Gutters?

Thule 542 Artificial Rain-gutters for Thule 300, 387, and 953 Gutter Feet 

I've found a video of solar built on racks on a Fiberglass High Top using these instead of a full roof rack. (See parts list link)

Thx, jj

1474421831639-974542057.jpg

I debated for quite some time. Then my mom got me this office chair for $2 at her thrift store.  I recovered it. No more need for hight top!

Attachments

• 1474421831639-974542057.jpg
    1474421831639-974542057.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 35
1474422176625-1335204100.jpg

So, my chair has wheels so I can easily scoot back and forth and swivel. I'm not saying it's better than standing but it works so well that I now have no intention of putting a high top on.

Attachments

• 1474422176625-1335204100.jpg
    1474422176625-1335204100.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
More of my thoughts...

In the future I will most likely lift my van as I really like going out in the boonies. I may do the 4wd conversion but haven't yet decided if I can justify the cost. I really like the idea of doing a full roof rack with solar, Yakima box and kayak storage. If I did a high top on mine plus a rack it would be crazy tall...I have seen that set up on Sportsmobiles and I think it might just be too high for my taste. Not really because of top heavy....more for clearance issues.
And then...the cost. Yes, I could do it myself, and I am definitely a do-your-selfer but that would be quite the project.  There is company called fiberine in California that does custom high tops. Looks like they do some really nice stuff. But for a top that I can stand up in it's over $4000 installed. I paid $6500 for the van so im not sure I want to spend that much on something that I'm very happy with. 
Then...I figured if I need to stand that bad, I might as well spend $4-5000 on a small toy hauler if I was planning on doing long term. 
Keep in mind this just my thoughts. For some a high top is perfect. It's interesting how everything we want/need has some type of trade off. When working with a small, finite space that also goes 70mph it all gets a bit tricky!