Hide-A-Toilet Mod

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WanderLoveJosh

Reaction score
GOPR0341.JPG
GOPR0342.JPG
GOPR0343.JPG
GOPR0344.JPG

So i've been planning a nifty little way to get the composting toilet out of the way, and after we got back from maryland I decided to work on it. Of course after the wife realized my idea was pretty intricate and complex, she came up with a simpler idea and let me tell you, i'm glad she did, because the does exactly what I wanted and took less than half the time to do it. Now we can get the toilet out of the way and have more room. The pictures should be pretty simple to see whats going on, but if not and anyone is interested in this mod, just let me know.

Attachments

• GOPR0341.JPG
    GOPR0341.JPG
    295.6 KB · Views: 43
  • GOPR0342.JPG
    GOPR0342.JPG
    267.9 KB · Views: 36
  • GOPR0343.JPG
    GOPR0343.JPG
    230 KB · Views: 40
  • GOPR0344.JPG
    GOPR0344.JPG
    307.1 KB · Views: 28
WanderLoveJosh said:
So i've been planning a nifty little way to get the composting toilet out of the way, and after we got back from maryland I decided to work on it. Of course after the wife realized my idea was pretty intricate and complex, she came up with a simpler idea and let me tell you, i'm glad she did, because the does exactly what I wanted and took less than half the time to do it. Now we can get the toilet out of the way and have more room. The pictures should be pretty simple to see whats going on, but if not and anyone is interested in this mod, just let me know.
Looking good!!
One thing I would suggest though - put some small pieces of 1x1 strategically placed around the outside of the bottom of the toilet to keep it from moving around on the platform while you're driving.
The seemingly simplest way of anchoring it - drilling in to the bottom and screwing it down is NOT a good way to go...trust me on that one.
There will come a day when someone forgets to check the level in the liquid container and overflows the jug.... :dodgy: BTDT... :rolleyes: 
The inside of the C-Head is a sealed container in it's own right which would be negated by screwing it down. Use an external means of stopping it from wandering.

Good thinking, I was thinking of just getting some brackets to keep in place but not drill into the toilet, just the platform.

here is my hide-a-toilet mod
seat in normal positionDSCN0910 (800x600).jpg
seat upDSCN0931 (640x480).jpg
toilet box open,tp hangs under seat normally  DSCN0933 (640x480).jpg

Attachments

• DSCN0910 (800x600).jpg
    DSCN0910 (800x600).jpg
    483.1 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN0931 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN0931 (640x480).jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN0933 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN0933 (640x480).jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 24
JOSH can you give a report on how the c head works. I just got one last week and have not used it yet.

Well after about two months we still love it. Convienient for tiny living, it's operation is simple to use, I personally cannot find any flaws.. But I use it for its intended purpose, going to the bathroom, lol so there's not much to it.

flying kurbmaster said:
here is my hide-a-toilet mod
seat in normal position
seat up
toilet box open,tp hangs under seat normally 

That's great. One question. Don't people look in the windshield and wonder what you're squirreling away behind the seat?

travlinman said:
JOSH can you give a report on how the c head works. I just got one last week and have not used it yet.

I'm not Josh but I love mine too!!

I've had it in full time use since last October and it's works wonderfully.

I appreciate not having to find dump stations, the absolute lack of chemicals and the cost of use - my only expense is a compressed block of pine bedding from the pet dept at W/M every couple of months!

WanderLoveJosh said:
Nice mod! Wish I had that much room. I like the bucket with kitty litter so far. It dawned on me that I don't need a full 5 gallon size. I'm going with smaller to save even more space. Thanks for sharing. The pictures on your blog are fantastic!

sweet ideas! Aren't the composting toilets a bit pricey? maybe I should google that >D

ArtW said:
sweet ideas! Aren't the composting toilets a bit pricey? maybe I should google that >D

That depends!!

First off on what one calls 'pricey'... :) 

The first separating toilet I saw (they're not a true composting toilet) was Nature's Head and I thought it a bit pricey at a grand.

The C-Head is priced at $609.00 and I like the design better because it uses a standard 1 gallon water jug for liquid collection as opposed to a proprietary design container that is $40+/- for a second tank.

Portapotties range from about $100. to $130. so yes, they're much cheaper to start with.

But, then you add in the cost of operation - dump stations generally range between $5 and $15. a shot. When I had one I emptied it about once a week, more often in really hot weather so that it wouldn't start to be offensive. I was never successful at talking anyone down in price based on the small quantity as opposed to a large RV with big gallonage!!

If you're boondocking, add in the gas necessary to get you to a dump station and back.

The C-Head requires no chemicals at all. Portapotties require the use of chemicals. Count on about $10.00 a pack or bottle for chemicals, which you have to find a place to store. How long the pack of chemicals last will depend on how often you empty the holding tank.

My only cost for the C-Head is a pack of pine bedding I buy from W/M for under $4.00 once every six weeks or so. Oh, and when I can't bury the solids, a couple of garbage bags every month.

Sooo, my cost after initial investment is maybe $30.00 a year. The porta pottie, dumped weekly at an average of $10.00 plus chemicals, adds up to a figure that exceeds my initial investment in just over a year. And the cost goes on year after year.

There's also the added benefit of not contributing to the use of chemicals.

Our C-head got us exactly what we wanted.. Not having to deal with a black tank (tho now that we sold our trailer and have a van we don't even have a black tank), and convenience of having a simple bathroom solution, which it has been. Its super easy to keep clean and empty. Even helps at some campgrounds where the bathrooms may be far from the site, in which, late at night if no one is around isn't a problem, but with neighbors it can be, especially when it gets lighter out. I personally feel after 2 months it was def worth the money, and would recommend it for boondockers.