Hi-Top Van Exterior Height Measurement

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamsack

Reaction score
Hi all,<br>For anyone that has a van conversion with a hi-top, what is the total exterior height of your van, from the ground to the highest point of your hi-top?<br><br>My carport has a height limit and I need to know if I can park a hi-top conversion van there so I can work on constructing the inside.&nbsp; I think the height clearance of the carport is about 79" inches, but I need to double check.&nbsp; Thanks all.<br><br>

I think it really depends on the kind of top used. I've been in quite a few conversion vans and the inside height does vary - which would mean the outside does too. This goes along with some research I did (in case I have to get a "regular" van and have a high top put on it later) on this site:<br>http://www.discountvantruck.com/vantopsraisedroofs/vantops.htm<br><br>which says the tops range from 9" to 20" high.<br><br>I was just looking at the height of the top but there may be information there about what the top does to the overall height of the vehicle. Otherwise - if you have a van you're thinking about buying the best thing to do would be to measure it when you go to check it out. I've never really looked into that because carports weren't an issue for me.<br><br>I hope that helps, at least a little.<br><br>Meg<br><br>

There's a lot of factors to take in to account, from age of the van, suspention tire size, etc.&nbsp; The best way is to simply measure the van in question.<br><br><br>

For the Chevy/GMC Van

Chassis Dimensions
Regular Wheelbase 2500
Extended Wheelbase
Overall height (Lo-top) 83.0 83.0
Overall height (Sportroof)

Overall length

Ground to top of rear load floor

Ground clearance, front

Ground clearance, rear

Opening height, side door

Opening height, rear door

Opening width, rear door, at belt line

Step up height, front door

Step up height, side door

Wheelbase

Absolutely measure the Van's height. They are not all created equal.
I had trouble years ago when I drove a Ford full size van for an elevator company, there were numerous parking garages I couldn't get in and that did not have a high top.

I would imagine some of these will take two people to pull off an accurate measurement. On mine I just had to measure from the top of the roof rack to the ground.
did both sides to compare.

Once I have the MaxxAir cover in place I'll get some help to measure mine!

For now, I pass under the bridges and don't even try for drive-thrus and parking garages... :)

I'm good on most drive through's at 6'8" which is a 1 inch grace at the highest point.

BTW most signs posting a height are in feet and inches.

I'm very careful where I drive my Ford E 350 Extended High Top.  It stands 9 ft tall.  My Carport isn't high enough for it   So I'll have to purchase one of these tall enough to shelter it from the sun & elememnts.

be66063f212d081b2f7dd0a4b43dbc73.jpg

yeah at 79 inches a regular van is going to be close to not fitting. like everyone said you are going to have to measure, lots of variables. highdesertranger