Hi top for my cargo van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chameleon

Reaction score
I recently bought a Ford cargo van, and need to be able to stand up for living full time. Fiberine, (near to LA) seems to be the only option for installation (other than DYI, which I'm not up for). I live in Seattle and would like to find someone great, nearer to me to make and install my top.
Anyone have any clues?

Thanks a bunch!

It's critical that tops get installed perfectly, so they don't leak. You're from the PNW so you know about the importance of keeping water out. If it were me, I'd go to the most experienced, most qualified shop in the country, wherever it is, however inconvenient it is. If I lived in Maine or Florida or Alaska or wherever I'd make the trek to Fiberine to get it done right.

I've heard only great things about Fiberine. Thanks for answering and your advice.
P.S. Checked out the Rolling Steel Tent blog... NICE!!! Is that yours?

Check out Tuffport up near Vancouver BC.  I had a top installed on my Savana just over a year ago and no problems yet.  They screw and epoxy the top to the van, so no leaks but you're also stuck with that top for life.  I like the look of the top but it's hellish to finish the inside due to the many curves and contours.  My solar panels slightly overhang the edges of the top as well. 

I paid 5k Canadian for the top (with 2 large side windows and a rooftop vent) installed.  The Ford top was around 1k less.  There's 6'2 headroom in the front and 6'4 in the rear.
http://www.tufport.com/van-conversions

20171124_145607_resized.jpg
Before solar panels:

Attachments

• 20171124_145607_resized.jpg
    20171124_145607_resized.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
400 watts of solar. Could maybe get 100 more without roof racks if a different configuration was used.20180713_135231_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 20180713_135231_resized.jpg
    20180713_135231_resized.jpg
    769 KB · Views: 37
  • 20180620_094753_HDR_resized.jpg
    20180620_094753_HDR_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
if u r up for an easy drive to Portland Oregon, contact VanSpecialties.com as they are an authorized Fiberine dealer/installer.
We had them order and install our 24" Fiberine top on our chevy awd. Great work and still like new 8 years after the install.

Thom

Attachments

• AWDthenNow.jpg
    AWDthenNow.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 30
Thank you both, Whitey and accrete, for your suggestions. I will most definitely check them both out! Short hops up to Vancouver or down to Portland would be more to my liking for my first trip in my van, than a long haul to LA!

ChezCheese:-) said:
How much did it cost? Is the top reinforced?

The top is reinforced but not enough to comfortably support my 200 + lb frame, at least on the front half.  My friend who installed the front two solar panels weighs 140 lbs and it supported him just fine.  The roof is too contoured to be able to be used as a deck, anyways.

I considered Fiberine but the travel and having to pay in USD, then paying taxes at the border on the way home made it economically unviable.

Wooooo-freekin-hoooo! I made the wonderful trip up to Canada with my grandson, his girlfriend, and their dog and got my Hi-top installed by Tufport on Friday! 

TufportTylerMe copy.jpg

I chose Tufport because it was the nearest to me, and when I started communicating with them, Tyler (in the photo), couldn't have been more helpful... patiently, promptly, and thoroughly answering my gazillion questions.

Now I am ready to continue with the build... So far I've got the floor insulation with birch ply on top... so HEEEERRE WE GO!

Thank you, my fellow Nomads,  :heart: for your generous replies and advice! 

I'll keep you posted.

Attachments

• TufportTylerMe copy.jpg
    TufportTylerMe copy.jpg
    970.7 KB · Views: 30
chameleon said:
Wooooo-freekin-hoooo! I made the wonderful trip up to Canada with my grandson, his girlfriend, and their dog and got my Hi-top installed by Tufport on Friday! 

I chose Tufport because it was the nearest to me, and when I started communicating with them, Tyler (in the photo), couldn't have been more helpful... patiently, promptly, and thoroughly answering my gazillion questions.

Now I am ready to continue with the build... So far I've got the floor insulation with birch ply on top... so HEEEERRE WE GO!

Thank you, my fellow Nomads,  :heart: for your generous replies and advice! 

I'll keep you posted.

Look awesome! Congrats!

Wow, that looks like a very slick installation, like the factory!

And it sounds like your buying & customer service experience was excellent, which unfortunately is all too rare these days.

A snug, watertight roof is the 'foundation' of a good camper van build, so you're halfway there.

Congrats!

Jeffrey Lee said:
Wow, that looks like a very slick installation, like the factory!

And it sounds like your buying & customer service experience was excellent, which unfortunately is all too rare these days.

A snug, watertight roof is the 'foundation' of a good camper van build, so you're halfway there.

Congrats!

Thank you for the encouragement! 

And yes, I was extremely pleased with the folks at Tufport. When I told them that I found out about them on this website, they said that they have had an increase in orders during the past year, and they attribute it to the exposure they are receiving here.

Jaketheone46 said:
How much was it??
$3585 Canadian. That included a wood frame and wiring for a fan that I'll install later, and a sliding window with screen. I also paid $175 for brokerage charges that apparently I didn't need, as the guy at the border said I didn't need the paperwork they provided since it was not a commercial vehicle.