Hi There! New Guy With A Question! :)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RVRoadCrue

Reaction score
Hi everybody! I currently live in an apartment as I have all of my life (I know, boo hiss lol)
However.... After about a year ago stumbling on videos first by Nomadic Fanatic, then eventually many many other folks on YouTube I had my eyes opened to a new way of living. I am sure many of you have heard this story many a time lol. Now since then... I am in the process of going thru a divorce. (Its a positive move and no hard or hostile feelings - my soon to be ex wife and I are super good as friends) Now I realized however I want something different at 41 years of age...

I currently live in Maine. Its a nice place to live, but as I have been here since the age of 14 I am ready to escape the ice and snow that out winters bring. My plan you ask? The company I work for has several call center locations in our amazing country. I have an amazing cat named Kaylee. She is going to be my road buddy! I have plans to purchase (most likely) a class B rv or a campervan by March of 2018. Could possibly do a van and convert it or even an ambulance. But I am ready to escape the "norm" and have a new view, a new sunset, and a new sunrise every day!!! 

In truth I have never been as excited for something in my life! 
Now my question... as I said Maine is soon to be in my rear view once I can get into a rig. I have my eyes set on transferring to the Bellingham WA area. (I love the idea of the Nashville area but I have to think of my kitty being in the rv while I am at work and I am pretty sure WA will be better temps for her well being that Nashville. So again my question lol, on an rv or campervan or whatnot, is solar any use at all in Washington during the rainy months and the winter?

Thank you in advance for any thoughts!
:D

Welcome RVRoadCrue to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. hopefully some of our members from the PNW will chime in about solar. I do know you will get some charging from solar on a cloudy day, if it will be enough IDK. what are you planning for you daily usage? highdesertranger

Thank you for your reply!!!!
Honestly I am fairly tech heavy lol.

Daily usage includes heavy laptop usage... 
(I use my laptop for everything, YouTube, Netflix, Facebook and the regular sorts....) and I am sure once I am in my new home, lights (I will upgrade to LED) and all the normal systems.... Charging phones, maybe tablets and such.

I am a man who wants to detach but have my comforts and tech. I assume a difficult medium ground.
And I want my kitty happy lol.

you are going to need to do some math. start by figuring your amp hour usage. add it all up, then size your battery bank accordingly. then you need a way to charge those batteries. 3 choices, shore power, generator, or solar. you could also run your vehicle but that's is not very practical. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
you are going to need to do some math.  start by figuring your amp hour usage.  add it all up,  then size your battery bank accordingly.  then you need a way to charge those batteries.  3 choices,  shore power,  generator,  or solar.  you could also run your vehicle but that's is not very practical.  highdesertranger

I would like to avoid shore power at least in general.... Any tips or places that would help me figure the math? At least approx? And thank you for your advice! :)

The best investments one can make in their lives are in themselves and in their children. Stick close to your kids if you have any.

RVRoadCrue said:
I would like to avoid shore power at least in general.... Any tips or places that would help me figure the math? At least approx? And thank you for your advice! :)

Your driving around in a van that can be considered a power source in and of itself. While its not efficient, you might as well make use of it. Consider building a charging station area using a small 300 Watt inverter. When your on the move, recharge what you can.

I was in the Bellingham area 18 months ago at the beginning of July and it was in the 90s every day for about a week so just bear in mind that there are occasions when you would need shore power even in Washington in order to run the AC for your cat.

DuneElliot said:
I was in the Bellingham area 18 months ago at the beginning of July and it was in the 90s every day for about a week so just bear in mind that there are occasions when you would need shore power even in Washington in order to run the AC for your cat.

Good info I appreciate that!
I knew pretty much no matter where you go there will be times of high temps. I just figure WA will have fewer occasions than Texas or Tennessee for example. (All 3 are states I could potentially transfer to) So just trying to reduce the times ac would be needed in general.
:cool:

A few pics of my future road buddy Kaylee. 
(Be prepared, she is a little goober lol)

Attachments

• Kaylee 1.jpg
    Kaylee 1.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Kaylee 2.jpg
    Kaylee 2.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 5
  • Kaylee 4.jpg
    Kaylee 4.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Kaylee 3.jpg
    Kaylee 3.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Kaylee 5.jpg
    Kaylee 5.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 4
That looks like trouble.  

A couple cat in van hacks.  Get a plastic tub with a cover, and cut an opening in one end about 6 inches up.  Perfect for a cat box with the Tidy Cat litter.

Buy a body harnes like the one pictured, and get her used to itl  At first she will play helpless and then keep falling over.   :D

I do not have AC, but I have the windows down about 1 1/2 inches, and vent fan going to keep air flow.  I have an ice chest, which gets cool on the sides.  I used a towel to make a cool cave for my Tigger.

Attachments

• the boss.jpg
    the boss.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 5
  • surplus at Q.jpg
    surplus at Q.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 6
Tigger looks awesome lol!
Thank you for the great tips!

He keeps jumping in the van hopeing for another road trip.

Hi Guy with a question....I\ said:
Hi everybody! I currently live in an apartment as I have all of my life (I know, boo hiss lol)
However.... After about a year ago stumbling on videos first by Nomadic Fanatic, then eventually many many other folks on YouTube I had my eyes opened to a new way of living. I am sure many of you have heard this story many a time lol. Now since then... I am in the process of going thru a divorce. (Its a positive move and no hard or hostile feelings - my soon to be ex wife and I are super good as friends) Now I realized however I want something different at 41 years of age...

I currently live in Maine. Its a nice place to live, but as I have been here since the age of 14 I am ready to escape the ice and snow that out winters bring. My plan you ask? The company I work for has several call center locations in our amazing country. I have an amazing cat named Kaylee. She is going to be my road buddy! I have plans to purchase (most likely) a class B rv or a campervan by March of 2018. Could possibly do a van and convert it or even an ambulance. But I am ready to escape the "norm" and have a new view, a new sunset, and a new sunrise every day!!! 

In truth I have never been as excited for something in my life! 
Now my question... as I said Maine is soon to be in my rear view once I can get into a rig. I have my eyes set on transferring to the Bellingham WA area. (I love the idea of the Nashville area but I have to think of my kitty being in the rv while I am at work and I am pretty sure WA will be better temps for her well being that Nashville. So again my question lol, on an rv or campervan or whatnot, is solar any use at all in Washington during the rainy months and the winter?

Thank you in advance for any thoughts!

Hi JoyceRVLegacy!
Yeah I expected the rain lol.
The company I work for (and have for darn near 11 years) has a location in Bellingham. After 11 years I plan to stay with my employer and even with the rain it's a better environment with a cat living with me in an rv than states that have hot weather much more often. 

Now, I usually work 10 hour shifts, so that means 3 says off per week. So I plan to stay local'ish.... but I plan to experience more than just the city. 

Welcome aboard Road Crue!
Where in Maine R U at?
I'm about 30 mi upta coast from Portland