Hi future friends!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rvpopeye said:
Welcome aboard Randa.

You'll find plenty of answers and advice here.
Lots of van build threads to give you ideas too.

I see you've already found a new friend in Caroline.
There are many more single ladies here of every age.

Don't worry about people that don't / won't understand this lifestyle , everyone here does and there's plenty of encouragement here when you need it!
I truly appreciate it I am going to have so many questions!!

Hi Randa. if you have mechanical questions feel free to ask. I am both ASE certified and Ford certified as a technician.

RandaOnTheRoad said:
Luckily my dad is an engineer and being very supportive. Without an actual van yet we only have a rpuch plan, but we are thinking of making a bed with storage underneath that turns into a futon-mattress. He will build some sort of shelving storage unit as well. We are going to get solar panels and install a large fan in the roof. But that's about all! What about you?

My brothers an engineer also and is helping me. Your super lucky with your dad being supportive haha mine won't even talk to me since I bought the van! And yeah I'm going to do solar as well, but mine also has to have a large drawing table for working. I'm not really doing a kitchen. I'm doing a high top also since it's going to be my studio too. I'm think about this for my bed but not 100%
http://vandogtraveller.com/expanding-bed-for-van/

Caroline57 said:
My brothers an engineer also and is helping me. Your super lucky with your dad being supportive haha mine won't even talk to me since I bought the van! And yeah I'm going to do solar as well, but mine also has to have a large drawing table for working. I'm not really doing a kitchen. I'm doing a high top also since it's going to be my studio too. I'm think about this for my bed but not 100%
http://vandogtraveller.com/expanding-bed-for-van/
That bed idea is AWESOME! Send me updates as you go!!

While I like the idea of the bed you are showing, I think it would turn into a minor PITA to set it up and tear it down on a daily basis. Then again, I don't always mke my bed every day so YMMV.

ramblingvanman said:
While I like the idea of the bed you are showing, I think it would turn into a minor PITA to set it up and tear it down on a daily basis. Then again, I don't always mke my bed every day so YMMV.

Haha that might be true but it would save a lot of space so I can fit all my art supplies/work area.

Randa- for sure I will! Update me also!

Single female here --- but...umm... considerably older than you two (combined).

I had non-engineer help from my brother-in-law and nephew, but the super simple plywood platform they built for me served me well for more than 6 months last year. We simply made it high enough to have 18-gallon Rubbermaid totes underneath for storage. I needed quick and simple to give the lifestyle a try, and I loved it.

The detail vandog has on his build is indeed awesome. I don't know about the weight of it all, but man that is built to last and be safe. Love things like the dowels to keep the lids from shifting and to increase structure integrity.

We'll look forward to seeing what each of you comes up with!

RandaOnTheRoad said:
Hello all. I have been reading through all these posts and am so happy I found this community! I am still in my planning stages but am actively searching for my future home. Hopefully you guys can help me find the right one!

I am an online college student, 21, and ambitious by nature. I have moved around alot throughout my life and decided a couple months ago this is definitely my next step!

I'll have many questions for you all... but I just wanted to say hi. I'm specifically interested to know if there are other single females out there doing this alone? Any people in my general age bracket?

Once again, so amazing that this is a community. My number one concern is feeling alone and like no one out there can relate to my struggles! And also van maintenance... lol

Looking forward to chatting with you guys[emoji1]

I'm absolutly jealous of the fact that you attend college online. My area of study is not avaliable online or else that would be such a perfect set up!

Good luck with the van search, and your travels!