Hi everyone! My name is Odyssey :)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odyssey

Reaction score
Thank you for creating this site!

I have never camped outside in my 58 years, I really don't care for bugs, snakes and icky things that I'm not used to. But it's time for new radical changes in my life. In order to face my fears, I need to know what they are and how to overcome them. CRVL, you are my savior. 

I can start out in the minivan I already own, and strike out for a few dry runs not far from home. Small travel trailers like the T@b or AS Bambi look so glitzy, tents seem like either a major hassle or total luxury, full size RVs and "mohos" cost as much as a house, but just a minivan with 93k miles? Well, yeah. Finally SOMEBODY affirms what I have on hand is sufficient! Where have you been all my life?

The whole I-need-a-ladie's-bathroom-in-the-middle-of-nowhere thing seems much easier thanks to your forums and videos. It can be done, properly with dignity and privacy after all! Motel 6 can turn their light off for me now. 

A rooftop carrier, fantastic fan and solar can be added later if make that *when* I decide to go FT. When my 27 year marriage dissolved, I did in fact do my best Chris Farley impression with, "I'd rather live in A VAN, down by The RIVER!" And now, by golly, I can prove it. Cha-Ching.

Inspirational, informative place you have here. Also kind and respectful! I really needed you!

Welcome! We all agree that there are real answers here to almost ANY aspect of vandwelling you might be interested in. I feel sure you are on the right track to try out some short trips to see if it suits you.

Of course, you are going to have some glitches as anyone trying anything new will have. But hopefully the sense of freedom and access to nature will win you over. LOL

Welcome to the CRVL forums Odyssey! We're glad that you found us! Almost any vehicle works especially for short trips to try out the lifestyle. Some of us find that the simplicity of a minivan is perfect, others move onto something larger or just different. Enjoy the trips and experiencing and experimenting!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the forum. There are quite a few of us just starting out. So you're in good company

Welcome Odyssey!

This really is the best forum around. I had a dream of building a tiny house on wheels before I even realized people actually lived on the road in vans and rv's or anything else. Now I plan to follow my dream, but in a van instead, and the wonderful tribe here has helped me realize I can do it and I will do it. I have learned so much here and I hope to also push beyond my fears and live a fantastic life.

Look forward to hearing more from you and maybe see you on the road some day. :)

Welcome Odyssey! Let me guess, you drive a Honda Odyssey? Duh!

93,000 miles is nothing if you keep your vehicle well maintained, changing oil and filters often. Of course you will have more mechanical issues over time, but that doesn't cost anywhere near as much as a car note and full coverage insurance does. I have about 340,000 miles on a little 4 cylinder Chevy Cobalt, and plan to take it with me as a toad when I go full-time. It takes a licking but keeps on ticking. The only major repair done was a new (used) transmission at 300,000 miles. I got one with about 80,000 miles, and had it installed for less than $1,500. It should last me forever. I only use synthetic oil and change it when the computer says and it doesn't burn a drop. I even use it to tow my 1,700 lb Aliner camper which is well over the manufacturer's suggested tow rating, so I don't baby it. I've even taken it to the drag strip a couple times to see what she'll do. ;) I figure I'll have to replace the engine around 400,000 miles with a good, low mileage used motor from a wreck, (hey, nothing lasts forever, right?) but for about $2k I'm back on the road for another couple hundred thousand miles.

You know what you have with that Odyssey and Hondas have an excellent reputation for durability (I put over 200,000 miles on an 81 Civic before the transmission broke and I sold it.) IMHO a Honda with 93k miles is just broken in, so I wouldn't let that dissuade me one bit from using it as I saw fit for my FT plans. Good luck on your Grand Adventure!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...F821E44945730EC018E1F821E44945730EC&FORM=VIRE

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...ACC6F86FE97CC2BE6E27ACC6F&fsscr=0&FORM=VDMCNL

Chip

Yes Hello I can live in a simple truck camper i own and take many 2 week excursions

Welcome aboard Odyssey!
All your questions will be or already have been answered here.

Actually I drive a 2011Toyota Sienna now. Owned a Honda Odyssey 2 minivans ago and loved how it handled more like a sports car. This is my second '11 Sienna, the first was totaled in a nasty interstate collision. So I'm convinced it saved my life that night. It's pleasant to drive, hauls people or stuff easily, good mileage, great tires, well maintained.

I believe it can work for now. I'm taking inventory of what I might need and what I already have to see how things might fit, store for travel, access for camp, how to estimate, etc. This site has so many fabulous ideas and tips presented with encouragement and kindness that I have become so inspired. And grateful.

Welcome to the boards! You seem to already have realized that if what you're doing needs change or improvement, you can make the change. Doing it by yourself, YOU'RE in charge!

Hi Odyssey! I'm new here too. Right now I'm just stowing a bike and a cot in a little van for little trips to bike trails with my dog. But I do feel inspired by the folks on this forum. I went from a family and a big house in the country to just me and my dog in an apartment (with a bunch of boxes in storage). It's nice to be in touch with other people out there who have mastered this downsizing business. I spent so many years accumulating stuff and now I need to figure out how to get rid of it all. Or at least most of it. Still working that part out. Anyway ... glad I found this group. Welcome!