Hi Everybody!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny819

Reaction score
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Hello everybody, Im Dan and I have been lurking for a little while and thought I would say HI and tell a little about myself. I have always thought about vandwelling and am thrilled that there are others like me, feels better to know im not the only one when ppl tell me I am crazy for wanting to do it.<br><br>Most of my life I have lived to work instead of working to live. I am a contractor and started out with a small painting company, after a while&nbsp;I started doing remodeling as well, after even longer&nbsp;I started managing propertys and pretty much work 70+ hours a week and I am just completely sick of it. I have been thinking about building out a van for quite a while and decided it was time to stop thinking and start doing. I started my company in 99 and when the trusty work van I had needed to be upgraded I kept her for sentimental reasons, parked it and forgot about it. It is a 97 dodge ram 2500 cargo van, no windows at all, just windshield and driver/pass doors.<br><br>&nbsp;Last week I took a look and she is still in great shape after 4 years untouched,&nbsp;so I put air in the tires and put a new battery in and she fired right up. Has just under 100k on&nbsp;her, I took her to a shop yesterday and had the mechanic look her over, said the frame is fine, had him replace the complete exhaust, ball joints and she passed inspection today no problem. I will be having a full tune up, fluid change and probably a new alternator and fuel pump done as those things will stop a vehicle dead and&nbsp;I believe they are original as I got her when she was 2 years old.<br><br>I have things to deal with like contracts and employees and running a business but I will work that stuff out over the summer as&nbsp;I start to build this van. I wanted to introduce myself as I have been lurking so long.<br>

Hi Dan, A big welcome to you from Southern New Mexico. Sounds like a great start platform and you certainly have the skills to do it...have fun and good luck!<br>Bri<br><br>

Danny,<br>Welcome, I hope you find a bit of independence inside that old van you've got. I don't know if you found the cheapgreenrvliving.com yet but it is a sister site to this one. Bob has some excelent writings on that site. I mention it because I was here for awhile before I found a reference to it.<br><br>Good luck with the project; this is a great resource,<br><br>gus<br><br>

<p>Welcome to the site Danny.&nbsp; Keep us updated with pics as you remake your van.&nbsp;Rae</p>

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp; Welcome Dan, some great folks here. Keep us posted on your progress.</P>

<P>Thanks for the warm welcome. I wanted to add that I am in Providence R.I. so if anyone is going to be passing thru and would like a place to do any upgrades or remodeling&nbsp;I would be happy to offer a hand, as well as tools and electric. I also have about 15 safe places to park on propertys I manage. I will be sure to document my progress as I do my build.</P>

I look forward to the conversion/remodel.&nbsp; Welcome Danny819!<br>

<p>danny819:</p><p>Welcome and good luck with your plans. In the meantime you may want to look at <a href="http://cargovanconversion.com" target="_blank">cargovanconversion.com</a> I just started to convert a Dodge B-250.</p><p>Van.</p>

cargovanconversion:<br>I checked out your page and I have to tell you that is outstanding craftmanship. I doubt I will be that detail oriented, that is impressive.<br>

Sounds like you are off to a great start! I am a big fan of Dodge vans. Especially with the 318 V8. That is a legendary engine. keep it fairly light and you should get close to an honest 20 mpg. Keep us posted as you do your conversion and start your travels. Bob<br>

I wish I had your skills! I am eager to see what kind of rig you whip up. Pictures please!

Welcome Danny, glad you found us. I'm sure this site will help you, in your build and your goals. These are a really great bunch of people who will be glad to help you in any way they can. Good luck!