Hi Everybody

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherterr

Reaction score
:heart:   After many years of raising kids (I even homeschooled- talk about a "glutton for punishment") I finally rehabbed by big old Mid Century cool house, got divorced; rented the house and got a little lot in S. Central TX to experiment with my idea of 'tiny home' living in my 5th wheel RV.

It's been a little over 2 years, the property has changed (surrounded by new noisy neighbors of different varieties) so I found a more secluded spot to call 'home',a couple of blocks away on a pond: but it still needs so much expense (set up electric $3K- Water meter another K almost AND there's no house on it.. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

I'm just thinnnnnnkkkkinnnggg:
I've always loved Chris Farley's statement:  "...livin' in a Vaaan, down by the river..." and even had my little Toyota Sienna set up to visit friends, etc.

Back in 1992 I got my husband (now deceased) a 16 x 20 storage building.  I would sit there staring, thinking... "Oh Yeah.. I could LIVE in THIS!" But... I was still raising kids. 

As I've been studying more seriously, I came across this place via a YouTube video or two.

I'm hoping to downsize further, to a tiny cabin on the 'quiet' lot, borrow some electric from my long time friend and neighbor over there, then acquire a nice old  GMC Vandura (like I had in the 90s) and hit the road.

I'm thinking of setting out in the Sienna as an experimental voyage this year to see if I can 'hack it'. :)

My ONLY issue with 'letting go' is my dogs.  I'm in a pretty rural area and since two of them were just rescued in December..(adding on to my other 4.. 2 really old, and 2 'replacements!)  I really have a hard time figuring out what to do about rehoming them.  Nobody wants dogs around here.  I'm sure when the time is right I can rehome them..This 'ain't my first rodeo".. BUT... I think it feels like "Sophie's Choice".. who goes?

Hoping to find lots of useful information on here and looking forward to getting acquainted.

It sounds like you have some fine tuning to do, but isn't that part of the fun and adventure. It is for me. I have some immediate issues that prevent me right now from implementing my new full time van living, but planning the new me is keeping me sane right now. So enjoy as you figure it out. Good luck and best wishes.

Welcome to the CRVL forums cherterr! Have fun planning your new adventures and keep us updated on the progress!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome!! Loads of great info here, dive right in and enjoy.

Of course you can do it.
You'll get by with a little help from your friends...........
If you didn't have enough before , you sure found a bunch here !
Maybe even some that might like to have a dog . ;)

Welcome to the group!

I guess in the 'meantime' I could offer some good 'boon docking' spots on my 1/2 acre!:) (I say boon docking.. cause my electric used to go out every time my friend hooked up his motorhome!:) But I have water and a couple of good spots to park and enjoy nature. (as well as the occasional loud music, barking dogs, and speeding race cars) *sigh.. "weekender/city folks".. what cha gonna do?*

I'm in S. Central Texas a few feet from Lake Somerville... 90 minutes from Austin and Houston!

Friends!! YAY!!! Can't wait to get to know you all.

And.. those dogs.. Oh YES.. I am also a 'dog whisperer' so I have a couple of rescue dogs that are awesome. Anyone needs a good travelin' dog, PLEASE.. let me know. :):) PMs gladly accepted:):)

Maybe there are separate threads for these things... *runs to check*

sillysal54 said:
It sounds like you have some fine tuning to do, but isn't that part of the fun and adventure.  It is for me.  I have some immediate issues that prevent me right now from implementing my new full time van living, but planning the new me is keeping me sane right now.  So enjoy as you figure it out.  Good luck and best wishes.

Fine tuning.. I like that.  It sounds so much better than..??  the alternative.. LOL  (i.e. driving my self crazy and trying to be patient!)

YES.. planning keeps us sane, for sure!

We have a big gathering in January at Quartzsite, AZ, there will be LOTS of us there!! You should plan on joining us and bring the dogs you are looking for a new home. Chances are good someone will take them and love them just like you have!!

Just promise you won't give them to me, I can barely pass up a dog in need! :p
Bob

akrvbob said:
"We have a big gathering in January at Quartzsite, AZ, there will be LOTS of us there!! You should plan on joining us and bring the dogs you are looking for a new home. Chances are good someone will take them and love them just like you have!!

Just promise you won't give them to me, I can barely pass up a dog in need! :p
Bob"

My initial response is:  I'll be there with BELLS ON!! ::)  BUT.. I need more info and have to see if cost is prohibitive.  I AM trying to pay off all debts.  January DOES fall into my "I need a break and deserve some fun after paying off so much this year".. but that's IF I DO!  A lot can happen in six months!

Where do I find more info on this little gathering?   Anything I can do to find a great home(s) for these dogs is MOST inspiring!:)

Howdy future friends!! Been looking for the purfect RV for the last six monthsstarted w/ b class ,they tend to be expensive,andin rough shape.so started looking at c class(downsizing has been real heard) a lot of lemons out there,put  few thousand miles looking in the tri st area,tomorrow it's a 99 coachman wish me luck send prayers this is the one.I need to be on the rd soon :huh:​

Welcome to the forums Marieanne.
Finding a used rig in good shape is something we all go through.
Good luck with your search , there are good ones , you just got to keep looking .
What area are you located , maybe someone nearby knows where you can find one.
We have forum members all over the country.