Hi about to buy van for van dwelling, plan on retiring and leaving here in less than

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome ksleft to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. ask away we are here to help. highdesertranger

Do searches in each of the forums for your questions
Ask specific questions and you will get varied but great answers
Check the tabs at the top of the page for info and of course on YouTube Cheaprvliving videos of all types.
I especially like the one about Essentials List (actually part 1 & 2) as it works for any vehicle and gets you in the mindset to do this with little expense but with all the essentials to live.

Hi ksleft and welcome. If you have the time, just go through some older posts in a subforum that interests you and start reading. Lots of tid bits spread all over! Firtree(above) has some great advice on what to do when ya have a question. Search the forum and if no go, find appropriate subforum and ask away. Best of luck!

Ksleft,

I started a year ago and bought a Chevy Express Cargo Van and had a high top installed. This has worked very well for me. The thing about getting a vehicle to get on the road is that you need to know your budget. Besides making sure you have an emergency fund, it is best if you can be debt free. Really consider your budget so you are not over extended once you are traveling. I am sure you know all this if you are about to retire. 

I watched tons of YouTube videos about how to do this. It really helped. The thing I didn't understand is that people kept saying how free they felt on the road. All I could think is free to do what?  Having been on the road for a year, I now realize it is free from, not free to. I find that I am free from expectations of friends, family and coworkers. I feel more free to be my authentic self. That is now it has worked for me.

All the best! Safe and Happy Travels!

Over the years I have lived in stepvan, stationwagon, car, and full size van. I can tell you it is nice to be able to change my clothes while standing up while in the vehicle. So, the stepvan was the best. It was a small one and I could go stealth with it. The station wagon was good for traveling as it was cheaper, but the windows got covered in frost when I slept in it in the winter. My point is that only you know what you want and need. Also, you can change from one to the other if your needs change, so do not feel it is all or nothing. You will want to feel comfortable, and that does change over time. Change is good. I am an Urban Camper, and have learned to repair my vehicles over time as I am always on the cheap.