Here I Sit, Broken Hearted...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for not only being there for him when he needs it most but also for keeping us up to date...there's a lot of people here with their fingers crossed for him.

Vonbrown said:
GotSmart purchased his parts today and we are ready to put his van back together. He tells me he is doing fine. He has water and food and some noisey neighbors!

So was the problem with the head or blown head gasket or what?  Inquiring minds want to know. (aka nosey geezers.)

Howiet

Yes the problem was a blown head gasket. We bolted down the head today and will finish it up on Friday. He should be back on the road by Saturday!

John is up and running! The job was a success. He has joined us here in Ehrenburg is is very happy. On behalf of John, we are thankful for the support of all the good people on the forums and hope to see you all on the road soon! Peace.

good news is always the best news. you picked up some atta boys and good karma on that one von brown. highdesertranger

:angel: :angel:   

Now for the details for inquiring minds~~~

Coolant was pouring from the drivers exhaust pipe.  I immediately stopped and took it from there.  

Van Brown directed me to get it towed to Erhenburgh where I could tear it apart.  

The machine shop informed me that the heads are off a 1969.  That was when they made things so a gasket would fail before a part.  After gathering all the parts it went back together fairly easily.  

The biggest problem was in a non factory pypass hose that was not quite the right shape.  Then I had to rebuild the vacuum system.  25 year old plastic breaks easy!!!  :s

I got everything finished yesterday, let it sit and checked it again this morning.  

Then I rewarded myself with a shower.   :D

My cat is loving the situation of vandwelling.  He is not sure how to take all the little dogs.   :p

My thanks to everyone who was concerned, contributed to the emergency fund, or helped in any way.  

Great job, not everyone has those skills. Those in line sixes were a damn good engine, that why they used them for so long.

This is the small V8.

I drove to Quartzite today to test it.

It drives better than it did. (It should with the work that went into it!)

Hi John, I think I left RTR before I got to meet you. I know everyone there was pulling for you.

I had the pleasure to meet Mike and participate in his tune-up class at RTR. He was nothing short of an excellent and entertaining teacher AND a great example of someone with great work ethics -- start it, do it well, and finish it - oh, and hum little tunes while you work!

I learned some basics about troubleshooting and repairing starting and running issues. Even better, with a little bit of the mystery surrounding all that stuff under the hood removed, I actually have confidence I can tackle projects or at least try.

All respect and thanks to Mike... and to Cyndi for having a keen eye out on how she could help by making connections from afar.

I am bringing up this old thread because of someone in need of help is getting slammed. When I started out I spent three weeks trying to sell off my supplies to raise the $120 needed to fill my fuel tank. I was stranded in Pueblo Colorado. I did not go to any charities or churches. I waited for my next check as nobody wanted what I had. The truck stop manager allowed me to stay as my rig was clean and the wind blown trash was all picked up in my area. I did not disturb anybody. 

When the engine had problems and I was repairing it, the Sheriffs came by. I was on state land. Once again my spotless camp and open attitude gave me a little longer to move on. 

The tribe at RTR 2015 raised about $70 in donations, and when I was on line again I found another amount. I have been doing the pay back ever since as I am able. 

While it hurts to be taken advantage of, a honest need is sometimes hard to tell from a Ebegger or a user.  Sometimes you have to just send out a offering and let it go.

I was ready to send a small amount via PayPal and I think others were,too.

If there was a way to know how much the total came to, it would help. I mean to make it another week or so until his SS arrived he wouldn't need a ton of cash. He didn't mention being able to get help from family members but that is not always an option.

I think shelters or other charities should be set up where targeted contributions could be sent. Hopefully they could make sure the need was genuine (as is possible) and let donors know what's going on so there is no duplication from other sources.

GotSmart said:
I am bringing up this old thread because of someone in need of help is getting slammed. 
I'll be glad to donate. PM with details. I prefer PayPal. 
w7XSbZLl.jpg