Help with solar purchase

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primal1

Reaction score
I will be ordering 200w of solar on Monday from Renogy. What do I need to order to have everything I need to install? It is going to be set beside my Honda element. Currently it will be connected to my dual purpose marine battery. I need it to be as inexpensive as possible.  Do I need fuses for each panel? I have the panels pwm controller 2 10ft extensions and a battery tray cable as well as 1 each of Renogy fuses. Is that all I need? I may not have net access again until Monday when I come down the mountain to order after checking the thread..... Thank you

is this a kit from Renogy? the reason I ask is the ones I installed from them were pretty much complete. highdesertranger

I just bought a 200w kit and it lacked the item I posted. In my Amazon review I stated that I thought they should be included. Not that expensive and necessary as far as I am concerned.

I brought my panel leads to a junction box to use as a combiner. Did not need those MC4 Y branch connectors. You do not 'need' fuses between the panels and the controller as the wires can carry much more amps than the panels can ever produce. There is an exception if using more than three panels in parallel to keep two or more panels from back feeding into one failed panel.
On Amazon, Renogy offers a 200 watt kit with the MC4-Y connector as well as a kit with out them.
You will need a fuse at the battery positive terminal for the charge controller connection. I like these; https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Sys...&sr=8-1&keywords=Blue+Sea+terminal+fuse+block
You have to buy the fuse separate. Size the fuse to the cable size. I would use larger AWG for controller to the battery than Renogy supplies.

Thank you all for your help. Hopefully my panels arrive tomorrow.

I didn't like the MC4 connectors. I worked with sea-going refrigeration units and we had similar connectors. If there was a bad connection in a circuit, that would be the first thing checked as it was most likely the problem.

My install was permanent so I used 10 gauge wire and butt connectors with heat shrink and inside of plastic pipe. I ran the wires down to a junction block where I could get at all of them to make it easier to single out a panel for testing. My junction box was actually a 6 position fuse holder, ( a fuse doesn't care which direction the electricity flows). I can easily disconnect any panel and see the results on the controller display.

Anderson makes connectors that I think will stand up to plugging and unplugging better than the MC4 type. I did not use these,( my system is all hard wired permanent), so I don't have a part number for you.

If you remove the MC4 from the Renogy panel the warranty is void. MC4 are not designed to be un-plugged as disconnects. They are weather tight when assembled properly.

Weight said:
If you remove the MC4 from the Renogy panel the warranty is void. MC4 are not designed to be un-plugged as disconnects. They are weather tight when assembled properly.

A panel set up as a portable will get plugged and unplugged many times. What is your solution?

The solution is to have connection that is designed to be disconnected. Treat the MC4 as the semi-permanate connection that it is. Ask Renogy if you can cut the existing MC4 from their panels.

ratfink56 said:
I just bought a 200w kit and it lacked the item I posted. In my Amazon review I stated that I thought they should be included. Not that expensive and necessary as far as I am concerned.

They assume you are wiring them in series and you don't need it. If you wire in parallel you need them and they suggest you upgrade the fuse.

My kit came with the connector for parrellel. I bought the basic kit.

Just wanted to say thanks for all of your help and advice, my system has been running for 5 days and the 200w handles all our needs.