help w a battery issue 97 ford e150 conversion van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southern.nomad

Reaction score
Hey all, i keep having to jump my van every morning for the past month or so. I have replaced the battery twice, alternator and starter test good, tested multiple times, all electronics inside plug into a inverter that plugs into a cig lighter none are plugged into anything.  Last weekend a friends hubby removed two 30 amp fuses that were wired into the positive post on the battery and charged the battery back up, it cranked good all week and we thought that had fixed the problem but it started up again yesterday.  I have to jump it first crank of the day, it cranks fine the rest of the day until I go into work and then it has to be jumped again when I get off work.  Any ideas or suggestions???  Having to get out n jump it to leave is killing my stealthability :)

you obliviously have a drain on your battery and a pretty big one at that. to find a drain remove the positive cable when the van is not running. connect an test light or a volt gauge between the positive cable and the battery post. the light should light up or the amp gauge will read volts. the radio and computer will have slight drains but its only for memory, unplug those fuses first. now start pulling fuses one at a time until the light goes out or the volt meter reads zero. when that happens you have found the drain. highdesertranger

Gary68 said:
do you have a multimeter ?

Uuuummmm...  (sounds greek to me so I'm gonna say no :), not that I know of.

an I pick one up at an auto parts store?

yes or any big box store should have them,home depot,walmart,harbor freight etc.

I have and use the multi-meters from Harbor Freight. They have coupons in many places that get you one for free. They work as well as my expensive ones.

Well.. I did purchase a multimeter and box of fuses to begin looking for the culprit but fortunately I havent had to use it... Spoiler alert... Dumb blonde moment!!!  As it turns out SOMEONE while adjusting their dashboard lights turned the knob all the way left.... And not having an interior dome light never noticed it was "on".... After adjusting the knob the van has so far cranked every time without needing to be jumped.... Thanks yall for all the great advise!!!  I'm so relieved it was a simple fix lol...

ah ha you found it. good job. on your way to being a tech. I wouldn't let that SOMEONE mess with stuff anymore. LOL highdesertranger