Help me prioritize these fixes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganchan

Reaction score
[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I have a few issues that need addressing on my 2000 Ford Expedition (and due to my lack of wrenching skills, I will have to pay to have them done professionally). Unfortunately, since I just got finished buying new tires and a new manifold, I'll have to have to schedule these jobs one at a time over several months:[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]1. Low power steering fluid due to leak in power steering pump. Steering still works fine for now, but I have no illusions about where this is going.[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]2. Left & right outer tie rod ends torn, with some early-stage rust in the joints. Technician says I can wait till my next oil change, but that's 5,000 miles from now.[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]3. Replacement of high-pressure AC hose and orifice tube, along with 60-ounce R134A recharge. Maybe I can just use the vents and lower the windows for a while? I don't mind driving without AC until summer, but this is Texas.[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Anyway, what order or priority should I assign to these jobs? Thanks.[/font]

IIWM (and I live in Texas), I would get the tie rods ends done first. Prevent uneven tire wear on your new tires and steering is only second to stopping.

Then power steering pump (or hose or). Just be sure to keep it topped off and don't park where someone may get upset by the fluid drips. If the pump goes you can still steer, it will just be a LOT harder. The old cars had a big steering wheel for a reason.

A/C last as that is only a comfort item and what did we do before A/C anyways? A wet rag around the neck does wonders if it gets too hot too soon.

I agree with B and C. You paid big money for the tires, don't wear them out.
The power steering pump may be leaking, but it is more common for a hose to leak and spray fluid on the pump. clean the area well and see exactly where the leak is. If it is a hose, this could be a $30 fix. Eventually it will cost you more in fluid not to fix it.

B and C said:
IIWM (and I live in Texas), I would get the tie rods ends done first.  Prevent uneven tire wear on your new tires and steering is only second to stopping.

Then power steering pump (or hose or).  Just be sure to keep it topped off and don't park where someone may get upset by the fluid drips.  If the pump goes you can still steer, it will just be a LOT harder.  The old cars had a big steering wheel for a reason.

A/C last as that is only a comfort item and what did we do before A/C anyways?  A wet rag around the neck does wonders if it gets too hot too soon.
That is OK, you can just do your driving at night time until you can get it fixed. Don't drive during the hottest hours of the day. If you are not sitting stuck in traffic it won't be too bad.

no question about it do the tie rods first. it's a safety issue.

then the leak. you need to pin point the leak if it's the return hose it would be just a couple of bucks. you can even get the cheap Chinese pressure hoses for around 10 bucks like Danny said.

highdesertranger

I'm not looking forward to my upcoming June road trip from San Antonio to Albuquerque and back without AC. But the current plan is to only drive from dawn until maybe 11am or so, then stopping for the day and resuming the journey the next morning, etc. I'm thinking that ought to work. I'll bring a 12-volt van and an ice chest full of Gatorade & water.

I've now set an appointment to do the tie rods in a couple of days because I just had an alignment done with my new tires. If I wait on the tie rods, then I'll have to pay for a second alignment job when the time comes. but the shop is saying that if I do it now, they'll do a fresh alignment free of charge.

When you have the Tie Rod done be sure to get an alignment by a shop with good references.

If you have any mechanical ability. I would encourage you to search youtube watch videos of this work and tackle it your self. Non of these are hard jobs. Skills are something you learn by doing. Replacing a Tie Rod and a Power Steering hose or pump is something I have confidence you can tackle. At least watch the videos watch a couple different ones. If you do these jobs it will give you the confidence to tackle other things that may pop up. Being able to fix minor issues can be an asset to you on the road. Also if you end up replacing the power steering pump, look at replacing the idler pulley and the serpentine belt if they haven't been done yet. The idler pulley is a common wear item and replacing it then will save you the trouble of taking the belt off to replace it when it does go.

I know it can seem overwhelming. But just break it down and do it one step at a time. Even if you don't have the tools The money youd save on doing either of the first 2 jobs would pay for your tools and you can rent any specialty tools you need from the parts store. Advanced Auto rents them for free they just require a $50 deposit and they return it when you bring the tool back.

If you dont feel you can do it that is your prerogative. Perhaps though if you dont tackle these maybe something in the future. Check out and see if there isn't a local class you can take. There is a youtube channel Faye Hadley she is out of San Antonio she is a mobile mechanic and will teach one on one and has group classes. Might be something for you to check out.

If you do end up having the AC done that is one thing I would bring to a service center. mainly because you have to be licensed to dispose of the gas if it needs to be removed.

Never Stop Learning and expanding your knowledge & skills. Good Luck!