Help me choose a 4 Season Tent

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what is worth, I would also go with a canvas tent if you think you are going to get snow. They are also easier to heat in my experience. The Nylon tents are great because of light weight, but waking up to the tent ceiling almost on your face from snow load is not fun.

Do remember if you get a Canvas tent, it will be much heavier, and you will need poles that are much stronger than a nylon style tent. I have a 10x11 canvas wedge tent that I setup by myself. It takes some practice. but it is doable. the other thing you will want to think about is some good tent stakes. most of the "cheaper" tents come with the little wire stakes. Which are fine for a weekend in good weather, but they will pull out in wind and rain, freeze and thaw.

Good Luck.

Where will you spend winters? If in the desert you will regret any wall tent.

Get a tipi tent. It does everything well.

I's also recommend the Kifaru.

The Kodiak will stay up in wind but will move so much you cannot sleep or be comfortable because heaters can tip over. Wind is common in the desert areas. We usually sleep in our small enclosed trailer that carries the tent and use the tent in non-windy warmer days as it is so much more space more like a screen / canopy. Sloped walls limit usable interior space, the more slope the less usable space. We used the tent by itself until we spent a winter in high winds, now it works really well with the trailer as we always have some place to get out of the wind. I have considered a real tipi as they really work in almost all conditions, can be put up by one person in smaller versions, but transporting long poles required is a hassle. The modern tipi tents will work best if using them only but the Kodiak will not be damaged by average winds and give you more space if you can spend windy nights in your vehicle.

akrvbob said:
Where will you spend winters? If in the desert you will regret any wall tent.

Get a tipi tent. It does everything well.

I's also recommend the Kifaru.

Will spend winters in Pac Northwest & the Southwest. Yeah, I thought about the wind, in that case I will Cawl into the Jeep. 
Tentipi is the only tipi I would consider but can't pull the trigger on that while looking for a van.
Just pre-ordered the Springbar Traveler 5 Tent. $790 delivered. I know Kodiak is cheaper but I will pay more for the extra detail to quality and it being USA made. Cheers!

bullfrog said:
The Kodiak will stay up in wind but will move so much you cannot sleep or be comfortable because heaters can tip over.  Wind is common in the desert areas.  We usually sleep in our small enclosed trailer that carries the tent and use the tent in non-windy warmer days as it is so much more space more like a screen / canopy.  Sloped walls limit usable interior space, the more slope the less usable space.  We used the tent by itself until we spent a winter in high winds, now it works really well with the trailer as we always have some place to get out of the wind.  I have considered a real tipi as they really work in almost all conditions, can be put up by one person in smaller versions, but transporting long poles required is a hassle.  The modern tipi tents will work best if using them only but the Kodiak will not be damaged by average winds and give you more space if you can spend windy nights in your vehicle.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, weather will dictate what shelter is used, for sure. I was in AZ last winter so I know what to expect. Check out the Tentipi, pretty cool. Cheers!

Thank you all for your suggestions, it was very helpful.
After all the research and all, I went with the Tentipi Safir 7, Inner Tent, and a Wood Burning stove. Big $$$!, but it will all stow inside my Cherokee while still leaving me with enough room to sleep inside.
Thank you all! Cheers!

Yes, pictures please! The Tenttipi wasn't a thing way back when I bought my Kifaru, but I'd like to see one in action.

I have plans to attend the RTR and stay in the Tipi. Thanks again. Cheers.