Hello

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sargalnart

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a boondocker at heart, and in reality when there isn't a pandemic. We are taking some time to spruce up our interior, and I'm wondering what you all have done for curtains. I'm thinking of making drapes from a heavy fabric, and hanging on regular curtains rods. Maybe sew velcro to hold them together. Has anyone tried this? I'm interested in learning what has worked well for others. That I could make myself.
Thanks!

i am not so sure i would want to use heavy fabric as the weight may bow the curtain rods but there are lots of good black out materials that are light weight depending on what you are looking for.

Welcome Sargalnart to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the forum. What kind of vehicle do you have? And do you have the sewing skills to make them yourself? I hope you find what you’re looking for and to see you on the road

Thanks for your responses! We pull a 19' travel trailer with a Ford Transit van. I want to get rid of the boxy valence thingies and the flimsy Venetian blinds in the trailer windows and replace with curtains. I have a sewing machine so can sew real curtains. I imagine a light colored fabric with perhaps a floral or plant design. It's a small space and I don't plan to have them go down to the floor or anything. I want to be able to tie them back when we want sun and light, and to draw them for privacy or to block the sun.

I'm also an East Coast snowbird, traveling with my husband. We're from Vermont.

I would consider using Black out curtains that have a reflective lining. I purchased some like that at Costco last year. Of course I did have to change the size to fit my tiny travel trailer windows. But one curtain was enough material for two windos as the panels are long in height and trailers windows are short. Velco is easy enogh to add. Be sure you get the sew on type without any adhesive on it. The adhesive type gums up the sewing needle and hook mechanisms.