Hello from Virginia

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoRockiesFan

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been lurking here for awhile and thought I'd finally introduce myself. 

I am interested in full-timing if/when I can retire (in about 8 years if I'm lucky). I have a good job that I mostly like but I get the urge to run away frequently (I suspect burn out). But due to student loans and other issues (elderly parents) I just cannot up and go. So, I'm paying off bills and trying to save money for future full-timing. 

I am looking for a van now that I can camp in (I had a trailer and pickup combo but hated the whole hooking, towing, unhooking routine ... very stressful for me) so I want something that I can pretty much just jump in and go. 

I really enjoy the very helpful, informative and kind group of people on this forum. Thanks in advance for all your help and advice!

Welcome to the CRVL forums ColoRockiesFan! Good luck with your search for a van! Finding a vehicle that is easy to jump in and go will bring your stress level way down.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :) 

You simply wouldn't believe how many people that there are out there just like yourself.  My Dad was one when I was a kid.   He was doing what this website is all about about the time Vans started into production in the early 60's.   He had grown up camping and fishing in the "cars & canvas" old days.   He saw the merits of Vans when the early ones soon has advertisements in Mechanics Illustrated etc for these quick conversion kits to turn a cargo van into a camper.  He was hooked from then on. 

It was his way of getting away from it all and the stresses of his work.  He did a lot of air travel in his work and was always talking about the  beauty of the places he would see when looking down at the ground and swear that some day he would go there on 4 wheels and see it from the ground.  He often remarked that some of the places our State featured as the most scenic attractions would pale if put beside these other places that he figured that only airplane pilots and hunters would ever know about.

In his day this was an "early kit" that sold for around $400 dollars.

1966-ford-econoline-turtletop-2-800.jpg

From the inside:

1966-ford-econoline-turtletop-4-800.jpg

Dad didn't think he needed all of that as it was usually just him,  so he made a cabinet with a cook top and sink with a fold up and down table.  He fabricated a bed frame across the rear wheels and had boxes that would slide under it for clothing, towels, etc.  The cabinet contained all he needed for a kitchen.  He had a couple of plastic 5 gallon Jeep jugs for water and a little Coleman ice chest to stow food and drink for a couple of days. 

The Ford above is an extended model,  but his was not.   The little 6 cyl inline engine and 3 spd standard gave him great service.   He later swapped out the original Cargo differential which was a 4.00 to 1 ratio for a 3.50 to 1 which gave him better mileage on his week end trips to the various state and national parks.  He did some
rough camping too and learned quite a bit which he taught me later when I was given his old Van. 

I've condensed a lot of that into my websites below for those wanting to convert a Cargo Van,  and a portal of useful info to plan your first Day Trips and Week End get away's.   This is the best way to prep yourself for working into full timing.  There quite a few folks here just like yourself,  now sitting with their older parent(s) or looking to the day they can finally retire and go on the road.   This Forum can do a lot to occupy your mind
when you may feel hopelessly stuck in a rut.  

So I hope this will help stimulate your mind and imagination.   :angel:

Hi CRFan. Hope you find what ya need here. Welcome to the forum!

Thank you sharing your story about your Dad. He was indeed a pioneer! (I liked the van too)

This forum is definitely an escape for me from the daily stress. I dream of the day that becoming a nomad becomes a reality. Meanwhile, there are many good lessons to be learned here!

Thanks again for the welcome!

What part of Va are you in? There's an older Dodge Class B for sale at a house on Edwin Drive in Va Beach I saw the other day.

Thanks. I'm up in northern VA. I hope to find something local if possible. If not, I'll look farther out.

ColoRockie

Hi to northern Va. from South West-central Pa. We have spent a lot of time in Va., beautiful state and considerably warmer then Pa ,although Pa. is also a beautiful state after the snow melts and the mountains all turn to green again.
Bob