Hello from Texas ...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasWoman

Reaction score
Hello everyone ...

Greetings from the Lone Star State!

Love Bob's channel and all the info on here.
I'm further along than a "newbie" but new to this forum.

I'm a single, middle-aged woman .. always been a free spirit... no other responsibilities other than my beloved female lab mix.
Ready to live my lifelong dream of taking off and exploring this wonderful country of ours.

I spent a month tent camping in Colorado summer before last.  Gave me a taste of what being on the road is like. I pretty much stayed in private campgrounds and splurged on a cabin a couple of times. 

Had a great time and learned a lot. Will be much more prepared the next time. Would be nice to branch out into dispersed camping but I will probably want to be with a group of camping friends before doing that.

I'm going to go slow to make sure I get the right kind of rig. Want to get it right the first time, if possible.

In the process of renting out my home here in Texas and plan to hit the road full time next summer, if not sooner.

Like Bob, the mountains are calling me .. especially in the heat of a Texas summer!
His video on the New Mexico camping pass has me all excited about going there.

Would like to meet up with others who are in the general vicinity of Texas .. New Mexico, Colorado, Oklahoma .. but am willing to talk to all.

I told a friend in Phoenix about the RTR and now she wants to go so I may be there in January, 2018.

In the meantime, would be nice to make some connections on here.

One thing you should know is that I don't want to talk about politics with anyone.
It's not like I don't have an opinion but I've found it is a great way to spoil a good friendship.  
So don't be offended if you get off on a political rabbit trail and I don't follow down the path with you.
There are super intelligent people on both sides and I admire people who are still in the fight.
I am not one of them.

So ...

This horrible hurricane has caused me to double up on my "simple living" skills.
I live in a nice house now but I'm pretending like I was flooded out.
Learning to take sponge baths and wash my hair with very little water.
I have a sun oven coming tomorrow and I'm just really getting serious about living without electricity.

This CheapRVLiving forum fits right in with those goals.

Look forward to meeting and talking with some of you soon!

Best,

Texas Woman 

heart.gif
star.gif
heart.gif

Hello everyone,

Greetings from the Lone Star State!

Love Bob's channel and all the info on here.
I'm further along than a "newbie" but new to this forum.

I'm a single, middle-aged woman .. always been a free spirit... no other responsibilities other than my beloved female lab mix.
Ready to live my lifelong dream of taking off and exploring this wonderful country of ours.

I spent a month tent camping in Colorado summer before last.  Gave me a taste of what being on the road is like. I pretty much stayed in private campgrounds and splurged on a cabin a couple of times. 

Had a great time and learned a lot. Will be much more prepared the next time. Would be nice to branch out into dispersed camping but I will probably want to be with a group of camping friends before doing that.

I'm going to go slow to make sure I get the right kind of rig. Want to get it right the first time, if possible.

In the process of renting out my home here in Texas and plan to hit the road full time next summer, if not sooner.

Like Bob, the mountains are calling me .. especially in the heat of a Texas summer!
His video on the New Mexico camping pass has me all excited about going there.

Would like to meet up with others who are in the general vicinity of Texas .. New Mexico, Colorado, Oklahoma .. but am willing to talk to all.

I told a friend in Phoenix about the RTR and now she wants to go so I may be there in January, 2018.

In the meantime, would be nice to make some connections on here.

One thing you should know is that I don't want to talk about politics with anyone.
It's not like I don't have an opinion but I've found it is a great way to spoil a good friendship.  
So don't be offended if you get off on a political rabbit trail and I don't follow down the path with you.
There are super intelligent people on both sides and I admire people who are still in the fight.
I am not one of them.

So ...

This horrible hurricane has caused me to double up on my "simple living" skills.
I live in a nice house now but I'm pretending like I was flooded out.
Learning to take sponge baths and wash my hair with very little water.
I have a sun oven coming tomorrow and I'm just really getting serious about living without electricity.

This CheapRVLiving forum fits right in with those goals.

Look forward to meeting and talking with some of you soon!

Best,

Texas Woman 

heart.gif
star.gif
heart.gif

Guess I shouldn't have said anything about politics ...

Do you know many people in this area that are boondockers?

I'm in DFW ...

Texas Woman,
As further proof that this is the forum for you, talking politics and religion are forbidden here. LOL . So no worries.

Things learned in tent camping go a long way to helping anyone be self sufficient, so you are right about not being a true newbie. I used to tent camp a LOT when I lived in Montana (and had a more youthful and flexible body LOL), but have found I can enjoy a 4" memory foam mattress on my bed platform in my van and still thoroughly enjoy boondocking. I have good clearance on my former county wheel-chair-lift van, so I do get out there by myself (when I was on the road before). You'll love the parks in NM...I lived in the ABQ area for a few years and did many road trips.

You have a good plan to get more comfortable being near others but I bet you'll be out boondocking alone whenever there is a place that calls your name. And you'll do fine.

TexasWoman said:
42 views and only one howdy?

I think a lot of people read posts here but never sign up so they can't make comments???? You'll get a lot more as you only said hello an hour ago it looks like. :D

Thank you. WriterMs!

I'm pretty sure I'll do fine .. it's just a little scary being totally out by myself. I couldn't do it the last time.

As far as the tent, I swore I would have a stand up inside tent the next time I go out.
Found an REI Kingdom 6 that I could just about park my Honda CRV inside. Boy is it big!

So ... for now it's going to be a tent but when I get into this full-time I will sleep in either have a van or a cargo trailer.

Tending towards the van as I'm not keen on pulling a trailer.
Just not sure how I can fit all my "stuff" into a van.

:)

Got a super sweet deal on my tent ... Half price end of summer sale at REI last summer. Can't wait to use it.
Will take it with me even if I have a van/cargo van.
Big enough to have a party in ...

Maybe I need to rewrite my introduction ...

"Somebody please help me .. I am so afraid and worried about bugs and not having sushi .. not to mention my hair stylist, massage therapist and museum exhibits. I guess I can try to drive an RV but since I've never driven a car, not sure how it works. Please if you can give me some kind of hope .. I need to hear from you."

Let's see if that gets me anything ..

:)

Welcome to the CRVL forums TexasWoman! Many of us are introverts so we read but don't answer just as in person we listen but may not talk very much. :-D Also people are busy living their lives and are more active on the forums in the evenings as the day is winding down.

Try posting specific questions in one of the other topics and see what you come up with.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

TexasWoman said:
I am so afraid and worried about bugs and not having sushi ..

lol....Lots of flooded rivers and lakes in Texas, so sushi is NOT a problem. :p 

BTW....my sense of humor gets me in hot water around here but you're a girl so you wont have any trouble....

:cool:

tx2sturgis said:
lol....Lots of flooded rivers and lakes in Texas, so sushi is NOT a problem. :p 

BTW....my sense of humor gets me in hot water around here but you're a girl so you wont have any trouble....

:cool:

Sorry if I sounded snarky ... glad you enjoyed it. :)

Hi  TexasWoman I'm from CO and I too.am going to rent my house and hit the road solo. I used to tent camp but now I have a truck and an Aliner.

Where did you camp in Colorado?

Howdy, TexasWoman! Welcome to the forum.
The month long tent camping in CO must have been nice. I have spent some time in tents there myself. I'm east of DFW and going to shake some dust of this place off this coming Wednesday and head west for a while and wind up in the Sierras of CA for a couple of weeks. Probably back to Arizona for a while to do some rockhounding there. My intention is to spend less time in this humidity as possible from now on.

I will be in a van and not really planning on tent camping this trip.

Dream True said:
Hi  TexasWoman I'm from CO and I too.am going to rent my house and hit the road solo. I used to tent camp but now I have a truck and an Aliner.

Where did you camp in Colorado?

HI Dream True ...

Thanks for responding ...

I spent most of my time in Pagosa Springs because I love to swim in the mineral water pools. Camped a few minutes outside of town along the river. 

Then I went up to Sportsman's around 8,000 elevation.  Learned that the higher elevations can be hard on this lowlander from Texas ..
Drove over to Montrose to see some friends for a week (stayed in their guest apartment) and drove back across Blue Mesa Lake early one morning ... what an amazing site with the mist.  So beautiful!  Came back through Westcreek and returned to hot dry dusty Texas.

I wanted to go to Ouray and check out the new hot springs .. that was my plan for August but got too busy here at home.  I have a reservation at the 4J campground for 3 days starting on the 11th.  Not sure I'm going to make it but would love to. Also want to do Ridgway and Alta Lakes.

How about you?  Where do you camp in Colorado?

Dennis said:
Howdy, TexasWoman! Welcome to the forum.
The month long tent camping in CO must have been nice. I have spent some time in tents there myself.  I'm east of DFW and going to shake some dust of this place off this coming Wednesday and head west for a while and wind up in the Sierras of CA for a couple of weeks.  Probably back to Arizona for a while to do some rockhounding there.  My intention is to spend less time in this humidity as possible from now on.  

I will be in a van and not really planning on tent camping this trip.

Hi Dennis ...

Thanks for responding!

Yes, that trip was pretty wonderful, for the most part.  Really made me appreciate my bathroom and shower back home when I returned.  I love Texas but not in the summertime.  Hopefully next summer I can take off for several months.  It's nice here from about October to June ... and we had a pretty mild summer so far.  Glad you are getting away for a few weeks.  Sometimes September can be as hot as August.

What kind of van do you have?

Texas Woman

TexasWoman wrote said:
I wanted to go to Ouray and check out the new hot springs .. that was my plan for August but got too busy here at home.  I have a reservation at the 4J campground for 3 days starting on the 11th.  Not sure I'm going to make it but would love to. Also want to do Ridgway and Alta Lakes.

How about you?  Where do you camp in Colorado?

Your camping trip sounds wonderful. I haven't been to Pagosa Springs in years but I remember that it was lovely. 

I have camped all over Colorado except, oddly enough, around the Four Corners or Ouray areas. Soon I hope. I like hot springs too. I've been to Mt Princeton hot springs, Glenwood Springs and ,just recently, on my way home from the Tetons, Hobo hot springs in Saratoga WY.  I image I'll be searching out hot springs when I start full time just so I can have a hot bath :D

I have only been to Texas once. I spent almost a week in Austin and had a ball. Great city. I really want to get to Padre Island. I think my dogs would love to play on the beach. Fortunately I heard the area was spared the devastation from Harvey. I hope that's true.