Hello from SE Arizona

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cagey

wannabee in Cochise County, AZ
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've made a few posts here, but hadn't introduced myself:
  • Age 59, married w/2 children still living in our household
    • 1 child semi-disabled, may never leave home (hope springs eternal).
    • 1 child's nest-leaving as been profoundly delayed by COVID (among other things).
  • As a child living in Southern California, my family would take annual 2-week drive-a-thon vacations: parents and sister in a station wagon touring the best parts of the western US. My mom was over the moon about natural beauty and scenery, and I got that from her. She loved Sedona AZ, and we would take week-long vacations there every year in addition. My folks entertained the idea of moving there, but it never happened.
  • After graduating university, I lived for over 30 years in SF Bay area. Never happy there (or in any major metro: far too many people for my taste), but it was a prime location for work in my profession (SW Development) so I "sucked it up" enduring an increasingly horrendous commute, etc. while supporting my household.
  • Our household moved to SE AZ 1.25 years ago (working remotely during COVID enabled a "stealth interstate move" over Christmas-New-Year's vacation 2020) as part of a "get out of [HCOL, High-government] Dodge" (and establish ourselves in a relatively LCOL location where 1+ kids could envision a future that included home-ownership, something that's effectively impossible in the SF Bay area w/o a Masters degree in the right major) plan.
    • that was 1.25 years ago; since then, even where we've moved, home prices have skyrocketed (of course you all know this).
  • Retired a few months ago (I was laid off, and was in the fortunate position to not need to pursue my next employment (good thing too as ageism is a thing, and my profession is rife with it)). A few months later (now that we're living on somewhat fixed income): hello crazy inflation! Sigh.
My connection to van-dwelling
  • My first 4-wheeled vehicle was a 1970 Ford Econoline E-200 (long wheelbase, standard low-top cargo van) w/302 V8 and auto-tranny. "Big Red", an incredibly utilitarian vehicle, was my primary ride for (a wonderful) 10 years (1979-1989). Because for quite a few of those years I had a (off-road) motorcycle parked in the back (and I had "stick and brick" places to lay my head), I didn't do much to make it habitable: insulation and OSB on the sides, and plywood on the floor, with a twin mattress on the floor or stored alongside the bike. I learned enough mechanic skills to keep it on the road on a limited budget: changed a few wheel bearings and brake cylinders, pulled a cylinder head to repair a burnt valve, etc. Did a lot of fire-roading and camping solo and with my GF. One of my favorite places we visited back then: Prewitt Ridge [Dispersed] Campground in Big Sur area.
  • My last quarter in university, my van was my bedroom. Back in those days there were no laptops and no WiFi, so I mostly used it for sleeping and sometimes studying & homework.
  • Back when Bob Wells was affiliated with Enigmatic Nomadics YT channel (5 years ago?), I stumbled across his (and Jamie's and Kyndall's) videos which were real eye-openers. And dreamed (but knew that my family situation would probably prevent action). Ever since, I've been following the growth of van-dwelling from afar (thanks, Youtube!), and have been amazed at its growth. And wondering/dreaming how I could "test the waters" in a limited fashion.
Status quo
  • Skyrocketing prices for vehicles in general during COVID (and for RV's in particular starting before that), plus of course gasoline, is discouraging me from making an "investment" in a vehicle suitable for nomadic life, when I'm very far from sure such a vehicle would end up being used much.
  • (also largely thanks to COVID-related supply-line problems causing key material-delivery delays) we're waiting out (tied to home base by) a seemingly endless round of minor home improvement and repair (that should have been done 5 months ago).
  • DW wants to travel (traditional style: i.e. not involving camping much less boondocking). But is willing to let me go out on my own while she holds down the fort (and I vice versa).
  • Given the current economic uncertainty, it's harder than usual to justify expending resources to leave (even if only temporarily) a consciously designed comfort zone. Expenditures on traditional travel (smaller, with no capital expenses involved) are easier to make than "buy and/or convert a vehicle for boondocking". Still working this out.
My deepest respect to those of you who are pulling off this lifestyle on a limited budget (which I think is most). I am grateful that we all now have access to telecom technology (internet, cell-based connections, cell phones, social networking apps in multitudinous flavors) that enables construction of an ad hoc social safety (and knowledge-sharing) net for those engaging in this otherwise fully independent (i.e. challenging and sometimes risky) lifestyle.

Well, that's all for now!

Cheers, Cagey

• Ever since, I've been following the growth of van-dwelling from afar (thanks, Youtube!), and have been amazed at its growth. And wondering/dreaming how I could "test the waters" in a limited fashion.
  • Skyrocketing prices for vehicles in general during COVID (and for RV's in particular starting before that), plus of course gasoline, is discouraging me from making an "investment" in a vehicle suitable for nomadic life, when I'm very far from sure such a vehicle would end up being used much.
  • Given the current economic uncertainty, it's harder than usual to justify expending resources to leave (even if only temporarily) a consciously designed comfort zone. Expenditures on traditional travel (smaller, with no capital expenses involved) are easier to make than "buy and/or convert a vehicle for boondocking". Still working this out.
My way of limiting risk was to replace my primary vehicle with a van. It was time to demote my almost 10 year old, 250k+ mileage, SUV. The van didn't cost more than any car I would have purchased. As my primary vehicle, it could not be a dedicated camper van, I needed the flexibility to transport people or stuff, on demand. I started with a passenger van and did a modular/removable build. Guided by the KISS principle, I have about $4k in materials in the build (bed, couch, kitchenette, microwave, power station). Even as I contemplate adding some expensive amenities (parking heater, parking AC, permanent battery bank), I'll still be in it for less than $8k. You have more construction/mechanical skills than me, and likely more time. You could do even better.

My way of limiting risk was to replace my primary vehicle with a van. It was time to demote my almost 10 year old, 250k+ mileage, SUV. The van didn't cost more than any car I would have purchased. As my primary vehicle, it could not be a dedicated camper van, I needed the flexibility to transport people or stuff, on demand. I started with a passenger van and did a modular/removable build.
Thanks for your reply. Yours is a great approach, and one which I could directly pursue since I have a 2005 Sienna minivan in my household's "stable" (4 drivers, 3 vehicles, but they don't get used much). It's got the most miles of all my vehicles, about 220K, but (squeaks and rattles aside) still runs well, and is being used regularly. But it's an ideal candidate for prototyping and getting started now, even though it might not be my ultimate "dream vehicle". I'll need to figure out how to juggle users vs vehicles to free this one up for some occasional camping. Sounds like it's time to switch from dreaming mode into active mode!

Hi Everyone,

• 1 child's nest-leaving as been profoundly delayed by COVID (among other things).
  • As a child living in Southern California, my family would take annual 2-week drive-a-thon vacations: parents and sister in a station wagon touring the best parts of the western US. My mom was over the moon about natural beauty and scenery, and I got that from her. She loved Sedona AZ, and we would take week-long vacations there every year in addition. My folks entertained the idea of moving there, but it never happened.
  • After graduating university, I lived for over 30 years in SF Bay area. Never happy there (or in any major metro: far too many people for my taste), but it was a prime location for work in my profession (SW Development) so I "sucked it up" enduring an increasingly horrendous commute, etc. while supporting my household.
  • Our household moved to SE AZ 1.25 years ago (working remotely during COVID enabled a "stealth interstate move" over Christmas-New-Year's vacation 2020) as part of a "get out of [HCOL, High-government] Dodge" (and establish ourselves in a relatively LCOL location where 1+ kids could envision a future that included home-ownership, something that's effectively impossible in the SF Bay area w/o a Masters degree in the right major) plan.
    • that was 1.25 years ago; since then, even where we've moved, home prices have skyrocketed (of course you all know this).
  • Retired a few months ago (I was laid off, and was in the fortunate position to not need to pursue my next employment (good thing too as ageism is a thing, and my profession is rife with it)). A few months later (now that we're living on somewhat fixed income): hello crazy inflation! Sigh.
  • My first 4-wheeled vehicle was a 1970 Ford Econoline E-200 (long wheelbase, standard low-top cargo van) w/302 V8 and auto-tranny. "Big Red", an incredibly utilitarian vehicle, was my primary ride for (a wonderful) 10 years (1979-1989). Because for quite a few of those years I had a (off-road) motorcycle parked in the back (and I had "stick and brick" places to lay my head), I didn't do much to make it habitable: insulation and OSB on the sides, and plywood on the floor, with a twin mattress on the floor or stored alongside the bike. I learned enough mechanic skills to keep it on the road on a limited budget: changed a few wheel bearings and brake cylinders, pulled a cylinder head to repair a burnt valve, etc. Did a lot of fire-roading and camping solo and with my GF. One of my favorite places we visited back then: Prewitt Ridge [Dispersed] Campground in Big Sur area.
  • My last quarter in university, my van was my bedroom. Back in those days there were no laptops and no WiFi, so I mostly used it for sleeping and sometimes studying & homework.
  • Back when Bob Wells was affiliated with Enigmatic Nomadics YT channel (5 years ago?), I stumbled across his (and Jamie's and Kyndall's) videos which were real eye-openers. And dreamed (but knew that my family situation would probably prevent action). Ever since, I've been following the growth of van-dwelling from afar (thanks, Youtube!), and have been amazed at its growth. And wondering/dreaming how I could "test the waters" in a limited fashion.
Status quo
  • (also largely thanks to COVID-related supply-line problems causing key material-delivery delays) we're waiting out (tied to home base by) a seemingly endless round of minor home improvement and repair (that should have been done 5 months ago).
  • DW wants to travel (traditional style: i.e. not involving camping much less boondocking). But is willing to let me go out on my own while she holds down the fort (and I vice versa).
My deepest respect to those of you who are pulling off this lifestyle on a limited budget (which I think is most). I am grateful that we all now have access to telecom technology (internet, cell-based connections, cell phones, social networking apps in multitudinous flavors) that enables construction of an ad hoc social safety (and knowledge-sharing) net for those engaging in this otherwise fully independent (i.e. challenging and sometimes risky) lifestyle.

Cheers, Cagey
Welcome!
And especially welcome to the Wild West.
Where in Cochise county did you end up?
I was a CPS worker there for several years.
I can think of a lot worse places to end up and only a few that might be better.

Welcome to you Cagey! You seem to have a good, well thought out, grip on reality there. My sister (sadly) has the same situation as you - a badly disabled child who will never be able to be on her own... Very difficult I know... Are you in the St Johns area?

Best of luck to you.

Cheers!

Hi Everyone,

Status quo

Cheers, Cagey
After becoming disabled, not drawing disability or social security and living in my car, luckily I got a camper van! I tell everyone, you need to have a van! I was never afraid living on wheels, I felt like I had a home and I could lock the doors!

Where in Cochise county did you end up?

Are you in the St Johns area?

Thanks for the greetings. I live outside of Sierra Vista (10-12 miles "as the crow flies" from the Mexican border).

St. Johns (county seat of Apache County) is about 300 miles roughly north (and yet is in "central-eastern AZ"). I remember passing thru there on one of our pre-move tours of AZ (driving the stunningly beautiful (but twisty!) US hwy 191 north from Clifton to Alpine, St Johns and Holbrook); the area (White Mountains and Colorado plateau) is quite beautiful.

I’m in NM, But I was a child welfare worker in Cochise County for the state. Hardest job I ever had.

It's a small world CoyoteG. I lived in Hereford (Cochise County) for 10 years and moved to Albuquerque about 16 months ago. Before Hereford AZ I lived in Las Cruces for 10 years.

It is a small world. I moved to Hereford 2 1/2 years ago. I live a mile off of Herford Rd. two miles from the San Pedro River.